Page 410 of 417 FirstFirst ... 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 ... LastLast
Results 10,226 to 10,250 of 10424
  1. #10226
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    17,602
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    He's standing because he doesn't fit in the chair
    Or the car.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  2. #10227
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    13,305
    @Montucky, we're kind talking past each other. Toyota proved it's possible to reliably implement start/stop. Other companies' poor implementation is on them.

  3. #10228
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I've also come to realize that flat power curves are boring. Give me a nice hit around 1/2 way up the tach all the way to near redline.
    The shape of the power curve is only limited by the finesse in your right foot. Make it whatever shape your want. From an enthusiasts standpoint, having more performance on tap and a much greater ability to control how it's delivered are good things.

    I haven't even driven the sportier EVs but 24 hours with the BMW iX almost made me a believer.

    Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

  4. #10229
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    10,419
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    The original press material sure did.
    https://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/news/...cqn?li=AAwnIv4
    "The mild-hybrid E-Ray was unveiled last week." "The mild-hybrid Corvette E-Ray was revealed last week..."

    They've changed their marketing angle lately probably based on marketing polling/data, but it's still a "mild-hybrid" at the end of the day. Freaking amazing car btw. Nothing wrong with its system IMO. Hauls balls.
    Looks like the E-Ray's electric motor powers the front axle only and is, in fact, decoupled from the gas engine that powers the rear axle. Chevrolet doesn't refer to the E-Ray as a mild hybrid anywhere on their site. But, maybe. Maybe the definitions of hybrids are evolving. Maybe there is widespread confusion.

  5. #10230
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    10,419
    I'd take an EV over gas ever time for around town and commuting. They're perfect for that use case.

  6. #10231
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    11,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Ummm....... Sounds like you might be wrong?
    Which isn't to say it's not a POS, but not quite "traditional."

    "How does the Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid technology system work?...
    I never said my rental was the Plug-In Hybrid version, bud. I was talking about a STANDARD rental Pacifica with the now ubiquitous Auto-Start/Stop system. And it sucks ass. So, no. I am not wrong. It is very much "traditional" in the ways I alleged.

  7. #10232
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    I never said my rental was the Plug-In Hybrid version, bud. I was talking about a STANDARD rental Pacifica with the now ubiquitous Auto-Start/Stop system. And it sucks ass.
    Oops, my bad. What did you think of the driver assistant features?

  8. #10233
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    11,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    @Montucky, we're kind talking past each other. Toyota proved it's possible to reliably implement start/stop. Other companies' poor implementation is on them.
    Ah, yes. True, true. Toyota has indeed proven how it CAN be done, and done well. Other companies, take note! Unfortunately for every Toyota, Volvo, or Audi that does it right, there is a Chevy, Chrysler, or Subaru that does it poorly. Haha.

  9. #10234
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    11,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Oops, my bad. What did you think of the driver assistant features?
    They're pretty worthless IMO. It likes to jerk the wheel for no good reason, but when I've tested out the lane keep assist on purpose, it only wants to work like 1/2 the time and doesn't do much when it does. Even the parking sensors don't do much til it's too late. Haha. Prolly cuz Chrysler, but I'm spoiled by GOOD parking sensors in my Volvos and now Mercedes. The longer I live with this Chrysler, the more I'm missing my Mercedes. I want it back. Stupid body shop delays.

  10. #10235
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    13,305
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Ah, yes. True, true. Toyota has indeed proven how it CAN be done, and done well. Other companies, take note! Unfortunately for every Toyota, Volvo, or Audi that does it right, there is a Chevy, Chrysler, or Subaru that does it poorly. Haha.
    You forgot Ford! Whenever I drive my parents' F150 I'm reminded how not smooth it is.

  11. #10236
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    13,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I'd take an EV over gas ever time for around town and commuting. They're perfect for that use case.
    This. A cammy track day car sucks as a daily and vice versa. Electric has instant torque over the bottom 75ish% of its performance envelope.

    Generally agree with the crowd that touchscreens have gone too far.

  12. #10237
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Almost Mountains
    Posts
    1,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    You forgot Ford! Whenever I drive my parents' F150 I'm reminded how not smooth it is.
    I admittedly don't live somewhere with a lot of stopping or traffic, but there was a bit more where I lived when I bought the F-150 (and I drove more miles at a time there, so the battery actually got recharged). It took me about three days for it to be pretty seamless, the key thing being that ASS only kicks in with significant pressure on the brake. In most situations, you can let off a little and the truck will fire back up well before you've released to the point of moving.

    The sales guy made the claim that it was nearly impossible to beat the ASS with a single foot (ie the engine would be running by the time your foot hit the throttle), but I wasn't quite convinced on that. Again, I didn't often need to pull into a small gap in traffic, so if that's part of your daily driving, it may be more annoying.

  13. #10238
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fraggle Rock, CO
    Posts
    7,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I've also come to realize that flat power curves are boring. Give me a nice hit around 1/2 way up the tach all the way to near redline.
    This is a noodle scratcher kinda comment. Are you serious? Or just goofing? Cuz the linear torque curve with no gears is prolly my favorite thing about driving an ev.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

  14. #10239
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    13,305
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    ...daily driving
    Yeah, I'll admit that is the issue right there. I haven't put enough miles in it to learn how to finesse it. Didn't even realize it even had S/S the first few times I drove it.

  15. #10240
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    This is a noodle scratcher kinda comment. Are you serious? Or just goofing? Cuz the linear torque curve with no gears is prolly my favorite thing about driving an ev.
    Yeah but i get the point about it being boring. It requires significantly less “driving”- you don’t need to know your powerband, you don’t have to shift to stay in the powerband, you don’t get the anticipation of waiting for a turbo to spool. Sure the power is always there, but where’s the fun in that?

  16. #10241
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    5,282
    There’s definitely something enjoyable about driving a car that get increasingly hectic as you approach redline. Or even just makes you work to stay in the power band.

    The new ‘N’ performance version of the Ioniq 5 has virtual gears, which are completely unnecessary, and hurt from a pure performance standpoint (in that they intentionally reduce torque output), but from the accounts I’ve read they’ve actually done a good job of making it more entertaining to drive quickly.

    But just normally driving around town I could imagine the constant power being fine, or even nice.

  17. #10242
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    20,998
    This is the most impressive body lift I've ever seen, seen on an old Isuzu Trooper in La Paz, México.

    Don't brake too hard... OTOH it'll be easy to replace the fuel pump!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  18. #10243
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    17,602
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Yeah but i get the point about it being boring. It requires significantly less “driving”- you don’t need to know your powerband, you don’t have to shift to stay in the powerband, you don’t get the anticipation of waiting for a turbo to spool. Sure the power is always there, but where’s the fun in that?
    Exactly. I have a m-cycle with a 14,000-ish redline. The power curve looks like Mt. St. Helens (the side where the mountain blew off.) It's quite engaging when it hits. Upshifting and downshifting to keep it on the boil requires me to be fully engaged. After a 2 -3hr ride I haven't thought about anything else but riding the thing. It's a head clearing experience. I get that this sort of thing isn't everyone's cup of tea.

    Now if I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, thank god I have a helmet on so people can't hear me dropping f-bombs. The electric would be perfect then.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  19. #10244
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    17,602
    People gettin crazy around the holidaze and need to dial it back a bit. Passed this on my way home. I try to recreate in my mind how these things happen and just couldn't figure this one out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3061.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	478680

    And over on the Alfa forum, some poor chap takes his Alfa in for an oil change and the dealership tech does this on a test drive...
    Body count: 1 Giulia QV, 1 911, 1 Merc , and a Hellcat.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	478681
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture0.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	478682
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  20. #10245
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    7,323
    That's quite a body count.

  21. #10246
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    11,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    And over on the Alfa forum, some poor chap takes his Alfa in for an oil change and the dealership tech does this on a test drive...
    Body count: 1 Giulia QV, 1 911, 1 Merc , and a Hellcat.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	478681
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture0.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	478682
    Holy crap!!! Cue Jackie Chan Confused Meme

    So much carnage! Hopefully nobody was in the 911! I'd be SO pissed if I was the owner of ANY of those cars! Man. That pic just about makes me wanna cry.

  22. #10247
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Holy crap!!! Cue Jackie Chan Confused Meme

    So much carnage! Hopefully nobody was in the 911! I'd be SO pissed if I was the owner of ANY of those cars! Man. That pic just about makes me wanna cry.
    I think he was confused about the Hyundai in the first pic. It's pretty easy to surmise what happened here. 505hp and a 19 year old tech will do that to you.

  23. #10248
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Watching over the valley
    Posts
    4,958
    My neighbors who are kind of weird about cars, (had a neglected cayenne, now have a Tesla model s, and an old ranger 2wd pickup) asked me the other day about a car for when their daughters are around, should we get this old bmw x3? Been in an accident, was not repaired for years, daughter sometimes changes the oil at jiffy lube, but it was properly maintained, haha, I said, NO. DO NOT BUY. But here are some other cars you should look at, and on a whim, I sent them a Suzuki sx4 with manual transmission.
    They bought the Suzuki. Now I want one. Theirs has AT tires on it, 5 speed manual trans, locking center diff button, heated seats, and central to the theme of the last few pages, manual radio and HVAC controls.
    Name:  ZMV.jpeg
Views: 183
Size:  27.5 KB
    sigless.

  24. #10249
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Watching over the valley
    Posts
    4,958
    I drove taycan. It was super fast. I think they are great looking cars, and I like the different body styles they have, but... I thought it felt like an enormous car on the road, yet somehow felt cramped on the inside.
    sigless.

  25. #10250
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Big Sky/Moonlight Basin
    Posts
    14,290
    Getting back to ASS (auto stop-start), my new Bronco with the 7MT has it. It surprised me on my first day at the first stoplight. I just assumed that they could not do it with a manual trans. I could disable it by pushing a button, but it works seamlessly and it does not bother me. I’m used to it now.


    Sent from my island using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

    "Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •