Page 249 of 428 FirstFirst ... 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,225 of 10686

Bobby's used car lot and Free Carfax

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Wasn't the Freestyle FWD? There are so many vehicles that just faded away and that's one of them.
    Used to own an 05 or 06 freestyle. Can confirm available AWD. Shared lots of parts with Volvo, including haldex AWD. CVT was….ok. I actually did like the car, but I wouldn’t put high miles on it. Replaced the engine (ex wife ran it out of oil) and replaced the AWD pump and unloaded it.
    focus.

CVT is a non starter for me.

Got a hot one I need a vin run on:
    2012 Forester JF2SHABC3CH418669
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

CVT is a non starter for me.
    Totally agree. Rented a Forester to drive from Bozeman to Jackson and the CVT sucked balls. Car was fine otherwise/

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    the CVT sucked balls./
    How so?

If I wanted to go as big as a Suburban I'd be looking at Chevy Express AWD vans. Yeah I have this RR now but I don't think I want to get something bigger. Thoughts about the Ford Flex?
    We had one as a rental last year. Lots of space, peppy with the 3.5EB, but damn did it drive like a boat. I grew up driving an old Suburban, Sedan deVille and a LeSabre and the Flex felt like it has body roll to match. Odd car; like a minivan with half the height

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    How so?
    For starters, they’ve been horribly unreliable.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    For starters, they’ve been horribly unreliable.

Okay but he's talking about driving from Bozeman to Jackson, not longterm reliability.

CVT's suck to drive, the noise sucks, the throttle response sucks and not being able to downshift to use engine braking really sucks.

I’ve got an Outback 3.6 w/ CVT. It’s got 6 “gears” programed that can be manually downshifted. Drives like a regular automatic. Longevity TBD.

Some do, the 2012 Crosstrek I had was like that (but still sucked). The Forester loaner car I had in the spring of 2020 had no way at all to manually change gears and it bugged me. It had programmed shift points to make it feel like something was different but it was mushy and vague and it didn't have any kind of kickdown feature for downhills so it would coast out to silly speeds unless I rode the brake. For the most part the car just droned along between ~2300>3400 rpm unless I flogged it. Meh. The Nissan rental cars I've had over the years were similar and equally blah.

Thoughts on Sienna AWD minivans?

Mebbe I'm missing something but it sounds like you're renting commuter crapcans and expecting high performance shift points?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Mebbe I'm missing something but it sounds like you're renting commuter crapcans and expecting high performance shift points?
    Heh.

Regardless I'm curious to hear reviews of CVTs because I was looking at a 2018 Forester yesterday with 25k miles. Guy wanted 32 grand but he couldn't be botwhered to move the car out of his cramped, dark alley garage so I could look at it in the light. Fucking tool. Those trannies do sound extra raspy on startup I have noticed. At least I think that's what the noise is.

No, but what experience I have with cvt's has been pretty terrible, and knowing a bit about it from doing over 60k miles with one I have a hard time thinking that it could be that much better on a more expensive vehicle. Sure the shifts can be programmed better and can feel crisper and with paddles you can control it to some extent but they will always have that steady rpm, drone effect because efficiency is really what they're all about. The Infiniti FX model I rented in 19 was the same feeling but the programming was a little better, not good enough that I would want one but, for most people it's probably fine.

Had one of those too. Fine vehicle. Drives like a van. I’d rather drive the AWD Freestyle with a CVT, though I’d rather own the sienna.
    focus.

I don’t mean to be terse, but if I had one I’d sell it to you.

Name:  il_340x270.3356235668_lwjs.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  22.8 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Gravitylover - Buy something like this:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8962318047070/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I bought an Impreza with CVT for my wife and thought it was fine. I guess you have to drive one yourself to make you own opinion. Although, I would not buy one for myself. So, there...

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    There is nothing more high performance than a rental car. Just ask us how we know.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Heh.

Regardless I'm curious to hear reviews of CVTs because I was looking at a 2018 Forester yesterday with 25k miles. Guy wanted 32 grand but he couldn't be botwhered to move the car out of his cramped, dark alley garage so I could look at it in the light. Fucking tool. Those trannies do sound extra raspy on startup I have noticed. At least I think that's what the noise is.
    Wait, what? You went in person to go see a car and the seller wouldn't pull it out for you? Were you allowed to sit in it or start it?

"No lowball offers, I know what I have" comes to mind.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    There is nothing more high performance than a rental car. Just ask us how we know.

Wait, what? You went in person to go see a car and the seller wouldn't pull it out for you? Were you allowed to sit in it or start it?

"No lowball offers, I know what I have" comes to mind.
    He reluctantly said he "could" pull it out if I wanted. He had it all cleaned up and we have snow/slush on the roads so he did not seem overly keen about me test driving it. Yeah it was weird. Seemed like a very nice Forester though, just more than I want to spend so I did not press the issue.

It was so cramped in this garage that just to get in and start it I had to squeeeze in the door. And he acted worried I was going to ding the door on his piled up shit when getting in. Lol

Rule #1. Buy the seller. That's why used car dealers generally suck. They know nearly nothing about the history of the vehicle (Carfax is nearly worthless) So if you are buying from the owner directly and they are fucking weirdos or sketchy then the vehicle could also be sketchy.

Bobby's used car lot and Free Carfax

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Rule #1. Buy the seller. That's why used car dealers generally suck. They know nearly nothing about the history of the vehicle (Carfax is nearly worthless) So if you are buying from the owner directly and they are fucking weirdos or sketchy then the vehicle could also be sketchy.
    I dunno, man. I want to buy the car from the weird guy who doesn’t like to pull the car out of the garage in case it gets some road salt on it and who figures in the mileage to the oil change place within his 3K mile oil change interval and doesn’t allow anybody under the age of 8 in his vehicle and religiously puts a sunshade in the window when it’s parked outside and never engages more than 50% throttle and would you Please Keep Your FEET ON THE PAPER DEALER MATS?
    focus.

Hey Bobby I have another YV4982DL3A2108809 Thanks

2010 VOLVO XC60 3.2
    VIN: YV4982DL3A2108809
    4 DOOR WAGON/SPORT UTILITY
    3.2L I6 F DOHC 24V
    GASOLINE
    FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

This CARFAX Report Provided by:Jailbreak Motors

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.