Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Yeah, the 0G 108 is an amazing ski but has very minimal tail rocker and honestly not much tip rocker either. They're workable in pow at speed on open faces but not really that fun in deep, dense pow, yo-yo'ing trees, etc.

Tectons on the Wildcat Tour 108 (or 187 MVP) would be a sweet setup if you're into tail rocker or want something more soft-snow specific. I own the 0G 108 (with SSL 2.0) and I've been thinking about getting rid of them and picking up one a Wildcat Tour or MVP with Tecton. Frankly, I don't ski enough to justify it, but I could see owning both for sure.

Melee: I think the weights on the website might be off. The copy says the Wildcat 108 tour is "almost a pound lighter" than the Wildcat 118 tour but the weight specs (updated yesterday) indicate the 118 is actually lighter...
    Whoops. Weights are wrong on the 108 page. Updating today.

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Whoops. Weights are wrong on the 108 page. Updating today.
    Woah, I expected they'd be wrong on the 118 page. Crazy you guys got a 190 x 108 ski down to 7# per pair!
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Woah, I expected they'd be wrong on the 118 page. Crazy you guys got a 190 x 108 ski down to 7# per pair!
    Nope. The 116/118 weights are legit. Its crazy how light is and how well it skis. Does any brand make a ski that is as wide and light? I think the BD Helio 116 is essentially the same weight but its a full carbon ski...Any others I am missing?

That gets my attention. Shit, that's lighter than my BMTs. With much burlier bases and edges.

Paulownia/ash, yes?

Nope. The 116/118 weights are legit. Its crazy how light is and how well it skis. Does any brand make a ski that is as wide and light? I think the BD Helio 116 is essentially the same weight but its a full carbon ski...Any others I am missing?
    New Bentchetler, Lotus 124 Tour1.

You also have my attention with the wildcats.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    New Bentchetler, Lotus 124 Tour1.

You also have my attention with the wildcats.
    New Bentchetler doesn't come close.

The Lotus 124 Tour1 is about the same, it is bigger, but its full carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    That gets my attention. Shit, that's lighter than my BMTs. With much burlier bases and edges.

Paulownia/ash, yes?
    Yes.

Paulownia/Ash core that we make ourselves, not the bComp core that's used in a lot of other skis these days. All build specs are lower on each product page if you scroll a bit.

Whoa. 6.6# for a 184 Wildcat 108 tour. Thats crazy light. Almost 1/2 a pound on my shorter, narrower Praxis Yetis.

How you do that? Something has to give -- thinner base material? Thinner core? Antigravity topsheets?

I'm wishing they offered the wildcat 108 in the standard non-tour version without the $250 custom surcharge...

Is the Moment Bibby Tour the right ski for me?

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    I'm wishing they offered the wildcat 108 in the standard non-tour version without the $250 custom surcharge...
    I’m hoping for 2020 it’s in the main line up. For now, the Pb&J and Wildcat will be quite refreshing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Betelgeuse; 08-23-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Wow all the specs on the wildcat tour @ 190 are exactly what I’ve been trying to find. Is this possibly my unicorn touring rig? 118 underfoot and ~1800g per ski, mid 20s turn radius... pardon my Moment ignorance, but is this the same build as the Bibby Tour just rebranded?

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Wow all the specs on the wildcat tour @ 190 are exactly what I’ve been trying to find. Is this possibly my unicorn touring rig? 118 underfoot and ~1800g per ski, mid 20s turn radius... pardon my Moment ignorance, but is this the same build as the Bibby Tour just rebranded?
    Yes. They just renamed the bibby to wildcat this year

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    I wishing they offered the touring version without so much tail rocker. The Wildcat 108's tail looks horrible for skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    I wishing they offered the touring version without so much tail rocker. The Wildcat 108's tail looks horrible for skinning.
    Agreed. It'd be nice if the 108s tail rocker got knocked down a bit to make it slightly more versatile in firmer conditions.

3rded
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    Its the same mold as the Wildcat, Wildcat Tour, and PBJ. It tours just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Agreed. It'd be nice if the 108s tail rocker got knocked down a bit to make it slightly more versatile in firmer conditions.
    I never skinned with such a big tail rocker ski
    Besides kick turns what’s the problem
    I have a pair of OG108 in the plastic that I will be returning for these but that big flat is the only thing I think I’ll miss
    I’m 5-9 165 I have a 184 bibby it’s a perfect size for me but I want to buy the wildcat in a 174
    Any thoughts on size

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    I’m 5-9 165 I have a 184 bibby it’s a perfect size for me but I want to buy the wildcat in a 174
    Any thoughts on size
    If the 184 is PERFECT for you why are you wanting a 174?

YMMV, but I didn't like skinny on firm/icy conditions with my OG bibbys near as much as I have on similar length, less tail-rockered skis. Its a matter of skin and edge contact area with the snow, especially going uphill when your weight is mostly centered or towards the rear of the ski. A flatter tail = more grip.

Now if you're touring firm and icy stuff, a Wildcat/Bibby is probably not the ski you want to be on anyway. Though sometimes you have to tour windfucked/glazed sections on way to nice snow. But with the increased versatility of a slimmer 108 waist, it would make sense to me to have a slight reduction in tail rocker with the expectation you may be touring on crappier stuff.

I suppose in the Sierras with their deeper snowpack and less wind compared to CO that this may be less of a problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    YMMV, but I didn't like skinny on firm/icy conditions with my OG bibbys near as much as I have on similar length, less tail-rockered skis. Its a matter of skin and edge contact area with the snow, especially going uphill when your weight is mostly centered or towards the rear of the ski. A flatter tail = more grip.

Now if you're touring firm and icy stuff, a Wildcat/Bibby is probably not the ski you want to be on anyway. Though sometimes you have to tour windfucked/glazed sections on way to nice snow. But with the increased versatility of a slimmer 108 waist, it would make sense to me to have a slight reduction in tail rocker with the expectation you may be touring on crappier stuff.

I suppose in the Sierras with their deeper snowpack and less wind compared to CO that this may be less of a problem there.
    I feel you.

You have to weigh the importance of why you are making the tail flat(er). Sure, skinning on shitty snow will be easier, but now you have a totally different ski for the descent.

Typically if the snow is bulletproof on the way up in the early AM in the Sierras by the time you get to the peak and go down its starting to soften up.

In those cases I would want that rockered tail.

Building touring skis is always a compromise.

At Moment the current Tour design philosophy is to make lighter and narrower versions of a stock model skiers know and and love from us. Drop some weight and try to make them ski as well as possible on the way down.

We have made some super light carbon skis 90mm underfoot in a 178cm that weighed under 5lbs (2267oz) for the pair with uphill as the main concern. It was for a special client but this sort of ski is something we are not considering bringing into the line up.

Most of us here prefer to carry up a little more weight along with a playful rocker profile to maximize the fun on the way down.

Luke will you guys have these to demo at the shop

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Luke will you guys have these to demo at the shop

Yes.

We will have demos of pretty much everything.

We will have about 100 pairs of demo skis that are totally free for anyone to try.

Just bring a boot.

Additionally, the factory store got a MAJOR facelift. Our old offices have been torn down, new walls have been made.

We will be carrying all of our products listed on the site along with bindings, boots and outerwear from our favorite companies.

Our new sales guy, Fasa, is a world class boot fitter so we will be able to get anyone dialed with proper foot beds and all.

Last but not least, free beer and coffee.

We will be posting more about this Mid-September when the new store is 100% complete.

If the 184 is PERFECT for you why are you wanting a 174?
    If you recommend the 184 then that’s what I will buy with all of the tip and tail rocker it’s makes sense the larger radius and effective edge length is a plus
    I will cut my skins wall 2 wall with just the edge exposed
    I was thinking that the shorter length would be easier with jump turns and navigating rocky terrain

How is the bibby tour in sierra cement, or pnw mank? I like the regular bibby in heavy snow, so I figure it’ll be easy for me to figure out the bibby tour in heavier or chunkier snow.. maybe just go a bit slower

Less sidecut, and more width + tail rocker all seem to help in mank, which the Wildcat tour has. Mass helps a little but obviously that's going to conflict with any touring ski.

Good technique, strength, and time on the ski in those conditions make the biggest difference.

photos