Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Why not try the insert repair kit? Helicoils for inserts are bigger than regular helicoils. Something to consider before T-nutting, if you want.
    Would that correct the fact that the mount was originally 3mm off center? Or would it just fix the damage to the hole.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Would that correct the fact that the mount was originally 3mm off center? Or would it just fix the damage to the hole.
    Fill the existing holes, drill the new much larger helicoil+BF insert holes in the correct location. Profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    How big are the holes? Tap-ins can be used in 8mm/5/16" holes.

Machinable epoxy. Redrill and either try installing screws or Binding Freedom Inserts.

Plan C or D is to use heli coils for Binding Freedom inserts.

Attachment 229513
    Given that the helicoils you ripped out are apparently ski screw sized helicoils, I like the idea of a hardwood plug followed by either inserts or the 5/16 helicoils into which you install inserts.

Splat's endorsement of hardwood plugs is good enough for me as well.

I'm not a fan of moving mount points you've proven to work for you if a workable solution exists.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 06-27-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I've never used helicoils. Can someone expain pros over binding freedom?

Edit: I see we are talking about heli plus BF. So heli is the way to improve bite into the ski?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I've never used helicoils. Can someone expain pros over binding freedom?

Edit: I see we are talking about heli plus BF. So heli is the way to improve bite into the ski?
    Sorry about the confusion. The doubling up (helicoil + inserts) addresses repair of really large holes - say from from a helicoil ripping out, and not a hole that needs to be moved slightly. Since a 5/16" helicoil requires a larger hole than an insert, the combination of installing a 5/16" helicoil and threading an insert into it would allow you to clean up a larger hole than installing an insert would - with the idea being to avoid having to plug.

It dawns on me however that since you inadvertently offset your holes by 3mm, that plugging with a hardwood dowel and installing inserts is the way to go. Your insert will bite partially into the ski core, and partially into the dowel. That ought to be plenty fine - stronger than a standard mount.

As far as pros & cons, helicoils don't seal off the ski from moisture unless a screw/sealant is installed. In other words, you wouldn't use them on a ski where you want to rotate two different bindings, because the unused set of holes will expose the core to moisture.

If all you're concerned with is restoring a stripped screw hole, then a helicoil will do the job (an insert's outer thread size will let you do this as well). If you want to rotate two different bindings on a pair of skis, than inserts (Binding Freedom/Quiver Killer) are what you're after.

Folks in search of a stronger mount (but who don't want to T-nut their mounts) will choose either one.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 06-28-2018 at 08:13 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I've done several mounts for myself and friends that required plugging old holes with wooden dowels (without inserts and with inserts). Some were very close to new holes (definitely < 3mm), and the screw or insert threads bit into the dowel. No problems to speak of - just epoxy it and let it dry for a while before drilling/screwing. YMMV.

If the holes are huge but you're determined to make it work, you could drill and tap for 5/16 and epoxy in 5/16 aluminum bolts. Hacksaw off the protruding bolts after the epoxy sets and grind flush (keep the studs cool with poured water, so you don't cook the epoxy with the grinder), and drill and tap wherever the hell you want the bindings. Lots of work, but definitely doable.

This goes to show you really gotta try to permanently eff up a ski. So many options.

Where are you guys finding small wood dowels? I can never find anything small enough diameter for a standard hole and always end up using the plastic plugs.

This goes to show you really gotta try to permanently eff up a ski. So many options.

Where are you guys finding small wood dowels? I can never find anything small enough diameter for a standard hole and always end up using the plastic plugs.
    These things work like a charm: https://utahskigear.com/shop/winters...plugs-100-pcs/

Been there done that. Epoxy hard wood plugs into core and then cut flush the next day. Redrill and mount them up. No need for inserts or plugs. The plugs are tapered so you can trim the leading edge to fill a bigger hole and you pound them in so they are permanent with slow cure epoxy and probably stronger than original core.

The 5/16 aluminum bolts can also be used to "erase" inserts. Just heat up the inserts and unthread 'em, and thread in the bolts with fresh epoxy.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 06-29-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Binding mount F up

https://m.lowes.com/pl/Dowels-Dowels...383,4294390382

Buy a dowel slightly larger in diameter than your hole and taper down with a dremel + sanding bit. Tap in with a rubber mallet, and sand off excess until flush with the topsheet of the ski.