Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Volvo Ocean Race

any of you dirtbags follow the big boat racing ?
    it's TIGHT !
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-...lvo-ocean-race

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/home.html

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Got to see those things docked in Baltimore about ten years ago before they took off on the North Atlantic stage. They looked really uncomfortable, especially for days dodging icebergs in the Southern Hemisphere. I have read that if you have Everest experience on your resume, that can get you a job on a crew, if you wanted one. Long, brutal, cold stints.

I went to high school and sailed with Charlie Enright. Needless to say he was a better sailor than I.

I was tooling around back in the day in a Whaler and one of these blew by us. Pretty impressive at full chat.
    Live Free or Die

Salty

grew up sailing Buzzards Bay, lived in Newport in college.
    http://www.buzzardsbayregatta.com/

https://twitter.com/Race_BBR

my buddy Gregg runs it

bunch of yuppie pricks

Also grew up racing around Buzzards Bay. The BBR was a great time. Used to drive the launch at BYC.

The progression of sailing has been amazing to watch. I can't imagine what it must be like to push through the Southern Ocean at the speeds they see on the VOR. Also amazing to watch the records fall for Atlantic and round the globe. Three days and 15h across the Atlantic? 40 days 23h around the world?

Latest solo around the world race was on the Red Bull channel, tied with "The Horn" for best show on there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 365wp View Post
    Also grew up racing around Buzzards Bay. The BBR was a great time. Used to drive the launch at BYC.

The progression of sailing has been amazing to watch. I can't imagine what it must be like to push through the Southern Ocean at the speeds they see on the VOR. Also amazing to watch the records fall for Atlantic and round the globe. Three days and 15h across the Atlantic? 40 days 23h around the world?

Latest solo around the world race was on the Red Bull channel, tied with "The Horn" for best show on there for me.
    BYC ? a bunch of my friends went to Tabor. Strong sailing program despite being Tabor Lillies.

Yep, went to Tabor...summer camp. Learned to sail there before spending a few years crashing 420s around at BYC.

When my wife and I went to the BVIs, I looked up one day at the beach and saw the Tabor Boy sitting at anchor. Random!

Still racing? I want to get back into it.

Name:  29594604_1986183221598929_4506001793284492128_n.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  76.2 KB

Point Road? My grandfather lived on Dexter Rd. House just went up for sale last week. I spent many many days tooling around Marion in the whaler and on various blow boats. but I digress....

http://gcaptain.com/volvo-ocean-race...outhern-ocean/

This sucks. I cannot imagine trying to recover someone in those conditions. RIP.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

That is sad.

I don't follow the races too close but they sure are cool from a bleeding edge tech standpoint
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

detached his safety line to move forward and then boat accidentally crash jibed........

http://www.yachtingworld.com/news/br...pacific-114110

I suppose it's best that he was knocked unconscious before going over. Man-overboard in the southern ocean has an unfortunately predictable outcome, and I can't even imagine what it would be like to be coherent and have to deal with that... RIP

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    Point Road? My grandfather lived on Dexter Rd. House just went up for sale last week. I spent many many days tooling around Marion in the whaler and on various blow boats. but I digress....
    We're out on Rt. 6 towards Mattapoisett. Lots of fish from Turk's growing up before even bluefish got expensive.

http://gcaptain.com/volvo-ocean-race...outhern-ocean/

This sucks. I cannot imagine trying to recover someone in those conditions. RIP.
    Poor guy, and family.

South Coast represent yo. Westport in the house.

The sailor who went overboard was in a survival suit, he might've lived a long time if he didn't get killed outright by the boom. Tough way to go. I'm a little amazed they left him since he would've floated and they had his position marked but obviously I've never been out in conditions anything like that, so I should just shut up. RIP.

As wide as those boats are, putting them beam-to in spiky building seas to to zigzag a search pattern is just asking for a knockdown or capsize with no way to right. Not what you want to be doing anywhere far from aid, much less in the SO where no one can hear you scream.

They prob had the best gear, but a 3-finger immersion suit is not something you wear on deck unless the boat is sinking.

Prob something like one of these...

...Which won't keep you alive for long in the Gray Death.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    As wide as those boats are, putting them beam-to in spiky building seas to to zigzag a search pattern is just asking for a knockdown or capsize with no way to right. Not what you want to be doing anywhere far from aid, much less in the SO where no one can hear you scream.

They prob had the best gear, but a 3-finger immersion suit is not something you wear on deck unless the boat is sinking.

Prob something like one of these...

...Which won't keep you alive for long in the Gray Death.
    No way to right? All the VO 65s have canting keels

Finding a head bobbing in the ocean during shitty wx....and at night is pretty much impossible. Going over at night has always been one of my biggest fears.

All "gumby" suits on SOLAS ships have lights that are water activated but this type would not work on the exposure suits the Volvo crews wear. Its kind of annoying for a bright strobe to be going off in your face at night whle you are on the helm. With all the tech that goes into the Volvo boats I am kind of amazed they have not designed a safety system that enables crews to stay "clipped in" during any task on deck and only detach when they are below.

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    No way to right? All the VO 65s have canting keels

What particular advantage does a canting keel give to a capsized boat?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    What particular advantage does a canting keel give to a capsized boat?
    there are numerous instances where canting keels have allowed enough shift of the ballast to aid in righting a knocked down boat. not necessarily a 'self-righting' mechanism, but certainly helpful.

Fixed keels have lots of righting moment that a canted keel loses when a sailboat inverts.
    Whatever kind of keel you have, you try to avoid knockdowns in the early stages of a southern blow....

A classic MOB search pattern involves beating upsea from the incident and running a grid downsea. This put Cape Horn Rollers with force 8 topknots directly abeam of that boat 90% of the time.
    This is a racing sailboat made to haul ass down sea and eat longitude for breakfast. It can't "jog" over seas like a power boat when the waves are dousing sails and dunking rails. It's gotta haul ass on that point of sail, or get dooshed.

After an hour, they were looking for a body his family could bury on land. Diminishing returns against a building sea. He went ob in the Death Zone. It's a risk they all take.

Last edited by highangle; 04-02-2018 at 02:59 PM.

All VOR70 hulls must successfully complete this test.

losing a keel bulb means you're fucked...
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

That’s rad. What’s the Alta connection on that one?

That’s rad. What’s the Alta connection on that one?
    owners contribute to Friends of Alta
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    All VOR70 hulls must successfully complete this test.

losing a keel bulb means you're fucked...
    Does the weight of the keel bulb flip it, what other forces are acting on the boat?