Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Exclamation New Tool Album (No, Really)

Word on the street is that they have actually entered the studio to begin work on a new album, the first in what, 11 years? Being a Tool fan is tough but rewarding. They've never put out a less than stellar album but they sure don't put out very many. That said, their concerts more than make up for it if you ask me.

Apparently Sebastian Bach (an odd close friend of Adam Jones) sat in on a preview, sans Maynard:
    "He added, "Some tunes were so pummeling it felt like I was getting a deep tissue massage. In fact they could call the record that. No song was shorter than seven minutes and some were 20 minutes long!"

MJK: https://pitchfork.com/news/maynard-j...ew-tool-album/
    Jones/Bach: http://loudwire.com/tool-adam-jones-...art-new-album/

IMHO one of the most flat out talented rock bands, period. Saw them last summer and they simply bone crush the audience at 50 years old. Maynard was reportedly battling a sore throat and still absolutely sent it. No doubt whatsoever that Danny Carey is a top three contender in drumming GOAT. Justin Chancellor is up there on bass, as well--definitely not in GOAT contention but on the all star team of some sort. But watching Carey do his thing (which I found myself doing for much of the show) is just strange--it's hard for your brain to process that that much percussion is coming from one human being. Of course neither Maynard nor Adam Jones moved the entire show and Maynard stood in the back dressed in full riot gear next to Carey while Jones simply watched the audience lose their fucking minds with an expression of somebody watching pigeons in a park, while he played his guitar without ever looking down at the fretboard. Even if you don't love them, try to catch them. It is a circus in and of itself--reminds me of Jane's back in the day.

Sorry for the ramble. You can bet this kid is hard as a rock in anticipation.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

There are some live shows on YouTube; just phenomenal. I can only imagine what being there was like.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    There are some live shows on YouTube; just phenomenal. I can only imagine what being there was like.
    Search for one where Danny Carey literally sits in on drums with a band consisting of a couple of teenage girls covering "The Pot". Danny looks like he's more excited to play with them than they are to have Tool's drummer backing them up!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Fuck yeah. Saw them again this past summer at the Gorge with my brother. Huge fan. Been anticipating this album for 12 years.

Just looked down and realized that I'm wearing a TOOL shirt today. Gah! Stoked

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Search for one where Danny Carey literally sits in on drums with a band consisting of a couple of teenage girls covering "The Pot". Danny looks like he's more excited to play with them than they are to have Tool's drummer backing them up!
    Just saw that; he’s obviously having a blast.

That leads to a plethora of vids of kids covering Tool songs; good to see in the era of Beliebers.

Super stoked on this new album, esp as a big TOOL fan.

i'll put this here:

best comment: No wonder it takes them a decade to make an album

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...rable-puscifer

go make some wine, dude.

my buddy was roommates with him before he got famous. Straaaaange dude. shocker, right ?
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...rable-puscifer

go make some wine, dude.

my buddy was roommates with him before he got famous. Straaaaange dude. shocker, right ?
    Insufferable? I thought it was a compliment on his integrity.

Seems like this could actually be the year.
    New song performed live for the 1st time over the weekend

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

That's good. Last update before that release said over 80% done. Few songs but really long like that one

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Well, they are touring, for whatever that's worth (knowing full well that many bands tour these days without a new album behind them)...or at least playing a pretty large gig in Sacramento this coming fall (October):
    https://aftershockfestival.com/

edit: looks like they are in the midst of a tour of sorts (most dates I saw were for May/June in the South and Midwest followed by some Euro dates):
    https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/...enan-new-look/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    For being a band that gets lumped into the prog rock genre, that song is fairly indistinguishable from most of the stuff on their last album. And the album before that.

It's not bad by any means, but after a 13 year hiatus, I guess I was hoping from something a little more interesting from the almighty Tool.

Holy fucking shit!

Maynard is much more fun to watch live in Pucifer or perfect circle. Rumor I heard was he was ready with lyrics and was just waiting on music all this time, he doesn't think of tool as his band, just the singer...maybe why he doesn't move during the shows last few years. When I went to a Tool show is 2001, it was really crazy, had people hanging up side down from the stage and Maynard was active. Last few shows I wasn't that impressed, but they sure got popular for not putting out new music.

Linked live song sounds awesome (despite crappy recording). Excited.

Maynard is in the dark in the background at shows now.

They are an avant garde band not neuvo metal

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Maynard is in the dark in the background at shows now.

They are an avant garde band not neuvo metal
    he used to sing with his back to the audience with APC. i thought it was pretentious but learned there's an actual reason....

I worked a show a while ago that a Perfect Circle was headlining, and I spoke at length with the lighting director. I don't remember his name, but he had worked with Maynard in tool as well as APC. This was during the Thirteenth Step tour, Year of the Rabbit was the opener. I voiced the question: Why keep him in the dark? The band was using almost the same stage setup, Maynard was upstage left on a riser next to Freese's kit.

The answer I got was interesting, and I remember seeing an interview where he spoke about it, so I think it's the truth.

Apparently Maynard has an eye issue which manifests itself in a sensitivity to bright lights and flashes. It got so bad that it came close to ending his ability to perform live. When the lights get flashing and really going, it causes an almost vertigo-ish reaction that can lead to his passing out. And that would be bad.

But I remembered watching the show and seeing some really awesome moving, flashing lights, which would seem to counter what the lighting guy had just told me about. He saw my puzzled look and explained further how it works.

Maynard had a signal to tell the lighting guy if it was too much, and if it was ok to hit it. His microphone stand. If it got to be too much, Maynard would move his mic stand to the front corner of his riser, and once the feelings passed, he should remove it, to signal all systems go.

That, and he wears sunglasses, which helps.

This essentially meant that the lighting designer had to have two shows written before the tour started, that could be blended back and forth, so he could disk back the intensity of what was hitting Maynard's eyes while still keeping up the consistency of the light show for the audience. (Spoiler, concert lights are not improvised at the show, sorry... I guess some people didn't know that. Weeks and weeks of planning and programming involved there).

I thought that was damn interesting.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ToolBand/co...hile_on_stage/

I saw they announced August 30 for a release date.

I am in complete countdown mode and to say I am super fucking stoked would be an understatement... I have been to several shows and if you are a fan it is a must - the visual show is over the top... I hit it big a yr ago as our local rock festival APC closed the show Friday night and TOOL closed it Sat night... 10,000 Days was an outstanding album and one that I still listen to... I will no doubt be looping the new one for days straight and am sure I will pay stupid money via StubHub to see them again... Maynard is a bad MoFo...!

Now I just need Staind to get off their asses...!

Believe it when I see it. And hopefully wear it out once I have it.

https://mega.nz/#F!SBFF2ajR!D_sKAjKfmesYOM4PPtJqbg

Tool show 5/13/2019 st Louis
    Flac very good quality recording

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Worked security for two Tool shows in Knoxville. First one, there was a white curtain and his wife was blowing him. They served beer at that one, and I was sore after. Second, no beer, peaceful bake crowd. I'm not so sure we've seen a more talented act in the last thirty years.

13 Amazing Things That Took Less Time Than Tool’s 13-Year New Album

Buckethead Releases 229 Studio Albums: 13 Years
    "Somewhere there’s an algorithm that can process all of Buckethead’s music and probably spit out the new Tool album — like an updated version of the infinite monkey theorem"

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Seems like this could actually be the year.
    New song performed live for the 1st time over the weekend

This video is a reminder how much I fucking hate people that can't STFU during concerts. Cheering and such is fine and to be expected. But I don't want to hear the story of your first tool show or whatever while trying to listening to a NEW fucking Tool song or any other. STFU whatever it is and pay attention.
    This applies to other bands shows too btw.
    /rant

Edit: just read through comments, seems I am not alone. That is comforting.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    This video is a reminder how much I fucking hate people that can't STFU during concerts. Cheering and such is fine and to be expected. But I don't want to hear the story of your first tool show or whatever while trying to listening to a NEW fucking Tool song or any other. STFU whatever it is and pay attention.
    This applies to other bands shows too btw.
    /rant

Edit: just read through comments, seems I am not alone. That is comforting.
    Man, I can’t imagine chatting it up at their show. Me and my two buddies probably said three words the entire show. But that might have been the mushrooms.