Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best tips for job offer compensation counter offer

And go....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Which job do you want? The new one or the devil you know?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Which job do you want? The new one or the devil you know?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Would prefer new position, but open to sticking in current role if the new deal isn't sweetened.

When I would talk with my HR rep a few thousand really didn't matter that much. Also, the way compensation works now companies do not want to low ball your salary. They typically have done salary reviews so they are close to industry average. Part of the reason for this is that once you are hired companies are reluctant to adjust salaries. You are pigeon holed.

You could ask what the range of salary is and be prepared to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    When I would talk with my HR rep a few thousand really didn't matter that much. Also, the way compensation works now companies do not want to low ball your salary. They typically have done salary reviews so they are close to industry average. Part of the reason for this is that once you are hired companies are reluctant to adjust salaries. You are pigeon holed.

It's for an internal position and the salary band is way below market. Manager knows this.

Do your research on salary range. It's the companies fault for not having proper salary review and the manager needs to make sure job description has been updated.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    It's for an internal position and the salary band is way below market. Manager knows this.

Do his job for him, pull together examples / research on why the salary is too low. Send them to him with a demand. He can take the research to HR to move the compensation.

get paid in bitcoin

Pro tip: be in demand, be prepared to walk.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    get paid in bitcoin
    Would definitely be into that. Told IT in 2014 we should have been mining BTC during off hours with our cluster computers. If only. EBITDA would be insane. Ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Do his job for him, pull together examples / research on why the salary is too low. Send them to him with a demand. He can take the research to HR to move the compensation.
    Manager is a she and unfortunately she has no real power. Everything... especially salary is micromanaged all the way to the C level.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Pro tip: be in demand, be prepared to walk.
    Seems like a good time to play my aces. Just got our highest possible score on my annual review...2 years in a row. My skills are in demand, but there are a lot of things I like at current company, so leaving is not totally desirable.

I would say, "I know how to save this company one million dollars annually." I'll tell you and deliver if you up your offer 25%.

Then, go to ace, get a doorstop, and keep those server doors open on their own.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Best tips for job offer compensation counter offer

Go here to see the prevailing wage for your job in your county:

http://www.flcdatacenter.com/OesWizardStart.aspx

Then ask for $10/hour more. Negotiate from there.

First step grow a mustache. Second step change your username.

Seems like you like it where you are, any chance to use the new offer to leverage more cashish out of the current gig?

I would take pay they offer, but ask for 6 weeks paid vacation, 7 paid sick days, 12 paid holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Seems like you like it where you are, any chance to use the new offer to leverage more cashish out of the current gig?
    If I accept, I'd be taking on a new role at the same company. It will be harder in terms of problem solving, but could give the company a larger ROI on their investment in me. I asked for ~10% more than I'm making now. But they basically want to give me a new position with no pay change. They interviewed internally and externally and I'm the top pick. Thing is we're owned by private equity and it's an open secret that they are looking to sell us. So I think they are reticent to add salary liabilities to their balance sheet.

Signing bonus?

Signing bonus?
    That may be a good avenue to go down. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post

+1

if you are close don't bitch or ask for something non monetary - extra time off, training, flex sched

be creative

if you are far apart - get another gig - or take the gig and leave as soon as you find something that pays better

"job hopping" is really not an issue if you have multiple gigs of two years or more

Def look at other terms in addition to pay.

Second best thing I did at my last gig was to negotiate a ton of vacation time and it immediately accrued. When I separated, they paid me 9 weeks of vacation pay.

Best thing I did was negotiate a golden parachute...

Signing bonus?
    Fuck that! RETAINAHHH!!
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

I would ask why they are paying under the known salary range and why they think what they, as an employer, offer to make that a good decision to hire and keep the most talented employees. Obviously this has be be broached with someone you are very comfortable with. Once you have an answer as to their reasoning, I expect you will be in a better position to decide how to shape your counter-offer (time off, bonus, % increase, etc).

It's like any other negotiation, you need to put it in terms of what's in it for the company. Often that needs to come down to "pay me X or I walk," and it's going to be less costly for the company to pay you X than it is to bring in a new hire and train them and miss out on your sterling personality/skills/efficiency/whatever.

If you're looking for other perks like vacation time, then it can be "give me X and I'm going to be happier here and stay longer." Upside for company will depend on how scared they are of the eventual possibility of you leaving, how likely that is, and how much they want to avoid it.

Focus on why you're irreplaceable or critical to the company. The more difficult and expensive you and your skills are to replace, the more leverage you have in these negotiations.