Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Active Junky caveat

So I recently noticed that I didn’t get cash back from a purchase made through Active Junky. I wrote them a wtf and got this back:
    The retailer has replied regarding this purchase and unfortunately they did not allow Active Junky to earn the commission on this sale, which means that we don't have any cash back to give you and this is why it was adjusted to zero.

We realize that this might be frustrating but please understand this may have happened for a couple reasons:

1. You tried to use multiple discounts from multiple different websites before completing the purchase.
    2. You clicked on the website of another affiliate marketing site after clicking on Active Junky which negated our tracking.
    3. You spoke with customer service online or over the phone which gives a bonus to the rep and negates our tracking
    4. You used an unapproved coupon code found on another website which subsequently credited that website for the purchase.
    5. You clicked on a link from a retailer or affiliate marketing email.
    6. You used a gift card
    7. You used ad blocking software which may result in issues receiving Cash Back. Please disable your ad blocking software temporarily during your shopping sessions to properly earn Cash Back.
    The one that really got me was that last one about ad blocking software. That seems to be the only one that applied to me. I’m thinking this is bullshit.

Anyway, heads up if this hasn’t been discussed before.

Good to know about the ad-blocking. That's bullshit though. Cancel that order for sure.

Last time I tried to use ActiveJunky I missed the cash back because I had two different Sierra Trading Post tabs open, and accidentally made the purchase through a tab that I had not opened through ActiveJunky. The time before that, I had the Honey Chrome extension installed, and it messed up the tracking by searching for coupon codes or something. Not sure if either of those situations could have applied to you.

Maybe. AJ wrote me that those rules I quoted are on a faq page. Who reads those?

It's karma for giving out all of those discount codes for those rat bastards STP.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    It's karma for giving out all of those discount codes for those rat bastards STP.
    Dammit. No good deed goes unpunished.

Just checking to make sure you provided AJ customer service with the tracking number, order number, cash back offer details and total purchase price? I have had to do this multiple times but they have always been able to get the merchant to pay.

Yeah, I did all that. It was actually the merchant that denied it...which is going to cost them my business.

This is a specific merchant issue. This community deserves to know the name of the merchant who is not standing by their advertising commitment and hiding behind some bullshit excuse. I will gladly direct my dollars elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    This is a specific merchant issue. This community deserves to know the name of the merchant who is not standing by their advertising commitment and hiding behind some bullshit excuse. I will gladly direct my dollars elsewhere.
    Meadow Skipper, is it SIERRA TRADING POST? Because they suck!

No, and this might be a hard one for the collective - it was backcountry.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    No, and this might be a hard one for the collective - it was backcountry.com.
    ouch

I should search my phone for the customer service rep who has contacted me a few times.
    Last edited by 3PinGrin; 03-21-2018 at 07:28 PM.

ouch

I should search my phone for the customer service rep who has contacted me a few times.
    I wish they'd call me.
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 03-21-2018 at 07:35 PM.

I wish they'd call me.
    Connor Johnson 801-204-4547

Shot him an email but told him I only know of you as Meadow Skipper. I did mention that it was an Active Junky issue. Not sure that this will make any difference whatsoever but at least tried.

Connor Johnson 801-204-4547

Shot him an email but told him I only know of you as Meadow Skipper. I did mention that it was an Active Junky issue. Not sure that this will make any difference whatsoever but at least tried.
    Whoa. Well, before I jump his shit, let me know how/if he responds. This whole thing is about ~$25, and it's going to cost them more than that in my business. But I mostly wanted to let the collective know that there can be issues with Active Junky. I wasn't real impressed with AJ's hand-wringing "it's them, not us" response either.

Whoa. Well, before I jump his shit, let me know how/if he responds. This whole thing is about ~$25, and it's going to cost them more than that in my business. But I mostly wanted to let the collective know that there can be issues with Active Junky. I wasn't real impressed with AJ's hand-wringing "it's them, not us" response either.
    will do, check PMs

I love backcountry.com, they are a fantastic retailer
    I love activejunky.com, and have gotten tons of cash back from them across many retailers including backcountry

I have never expected activejunky's discounts to work 100% of the time given that it's all based on passing hidden links & cookies & black magic whatever. Sounds like despite their efforts to track your purchase and give you money, you blocked their tracking with an ad blocker. Consider turning it off and continuing to use those two awesome companies in the future. Or not.

Didn't Amazon buy backcountry ?

Check the fine print on the Active Junky page for the retailer as well. Some brands or items are exempt from Active Junky rebates from certain retailers.

For example, if your purchase was a Never Summer snowboard, those are specifically stated as exempt from rebates.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Didn't Amazon buy backcountry ?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    I love backcountry.com, they are a fantastic retailer
    I love activejunky.com, and have gotten tons of cash back from them across many retailers including backcountry

I have never expected activejunky's discounts to work 100% of the time given that it's all based on passing hidden links & cookies & black magic whatever. Sounds like despite their efforts to track your purchase and give you money, you blocked their tracking with an ad blocker. Consider turning it off and continuing to use those two awesome companies in the future. Or not.
    This.

AJ is a free service that pays when they get paid. They didn't get paid because OP's ad blocking software screwed up the tracking process. Maybe learn more about how your ad blocker works and how it can negatively affect some internet functions you desire. The only bullshit is the sense of entitlement and blaming others for your error.

Quote Originally Posted by talbash View Post
    This.

AJ is a free service that pays when they get paid. They didn't get paid because OP's ad blocking software screwed up the tracking process. Maybe learn more about how your ad blocker works and how it can negatively affect some internet functions you desire. The only bullshit is the sense of entitlement and blaming others for your error.
    How is it his error for not wanting to get the shit spammed out of himself, ultimately causing the loss of cash back. I would have no idea that my ad blocker was stopping the process. I don't think OP is being entitled in this situation, more informative for the collective. I'm the first one to call out someone for their BS entitlement, just don't think this one is it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Not so sure it's the ad blocker. I never turn off my ad blocker when I'm using Active Junky to get discounts at Backcountry and always get the AJ rebate check.

Quote Originally Posted by talbash View Post
    This.

I'm curious whether you knew that ad blocker could screw up an AJ transaction before you read this thread. So far you're the only respondent that seems to think I should have known. I admitted I hadn't read that, so that's why the thread is titled "caveat."

After you answer my question, go fuck yourself.

Can anyone point me to the place in AJ's site that says ad blockers can cause a problem, and/or the list of ineligible products/manufactures? I'm having trouble finding those.

Edit: I found the list for Backcountry excluded products - my purchase wasn't on that list.

Another edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Not so sure it's the ad blocker. I never turn off my ad blocker when I'm using Active Junky to get discounts at Backcountry and always get the AJ rebate check.
    Same here. I've done a number of purchases through AJ and never turned off the ad blocker before and never had a problem before. So that's why I'm leaning toward bullshit.
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 03-22-2018 at 08:20 AM.

No response from BC yet, can't hurt to give the dude a call though.