Female Skiiers: what length pow ski? Buying for GF

Don't tell.

2017 was her first season, this was her second. She is 5'10, 140#. Skis slowwwww and likes to turn and be in control aka nothing like me.

Currently skis a Rossi Savory 7 in 162. This sure looks short on her but she's a beginner still. Blues solid, blacks gotta be groomed and gentle.

I'm looking at getting her a powder ski for her birthday. Is the Rossi Star 7 at 116mm / 170cm too long? I just have no idea for someone her skill and weight and height.

Mrs Snapt complains that her 188 star 7's ski too short, Those 170's should be fine, though she might outgrow them as she progresses?

Don't get her a powder ski yet.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Mrs Snapt complains that her 188 star 7's ski too short, Those 170's should be fine, though she might outgrow them as she progresses?
    Damng. Mrs Snapt can ski! Less worried about her progressing out of them as much as her getting her ass kicked by them now.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    might be a little too long... might be fine? my wife's a bit shorter/lighter, skis slow/likes to be in control (but is pretty experienced, tours, has skied steeper bc terrain with me) and is on 172 Praxis Yetis. I would say they are probably a touch too much ski for her in tight places, and not quite enough underfoot for a pow ski at the speeds she skis... if I could do it over, I'd have her on 164 ZeroG 85s and 170 Praxis BCs.

I am guessing those Rossis ski pretty damn easily though so maybe those are fine...
    I suspect they ski easy as pie. I think I'm gonna go 170. I don't think I have it in me to buy a 162 ski.

I bet that Praxis BC in 170 skis spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Don't get her a powder ski yet.
    Because it's gonna kick her ass almost certainly? ha

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Don't tell.

2017 was her first season, this was her second. She is 5'10, 140#. Skis slowwwww and likes to turn and be in control aka nothing like me.

Currently skis a Rossi Savory 7 in 162. This sure looks short on her but she's a beginner still. Blues solid, blacks gotta be groomed and gentle.

I'm looking at getting her a powder ski for her birthday. Is the Rossi Star 7 at 116mm / 170cm too long? I just have no idea for someone her skill and weight and height.
    My wife is a similar size and has some Savory 7s in a 178 which she seems okay with but I think 170 would be a better fit, at least for touring. Which is why i am mounting up some 170 Praxis BC for her in a day or two.She is also fairly new to skiing, but i would call her a solid intermediate. And ignore that other wanker's post on the other thread, your gf is a cutie for sure.

Because it'll encourage poor technique for a beginner. Her skis are already 106 underfoot and heavily tapered, plenty of float for a 140# person on most days. I would wait until she can ski a bit better before getting her something 116 underfoot. Instead, get her something <100mm underfoot with less rocker so she can learn to use her edges. Or better yet, buy her the same moneys worth of private lessons. Buy the shorter, 1-2 hr lessons so she can use one every few days on snow, rather than a 4 hour lesson less frequently.

YMMV.

But to answer your question, my wife jesski is 5'4" and skis the 176 Billy Goat in pow. A competent skier who's your girl's size would be on something in the high 170s to mid 180s, IMHO.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Damng. Mrs Snapt can ski! Less worried about her progressing out of them as much as her getting her ass kicked by them now.

I suspect they ski easy as pie. I think I'm gonna go 170. I don't think I have it in me to buy a 162 ski.

I bet that Praxis BC in 170 skis spectacular!

She says they ski shorter/easier than her 173 Bonafides/178 Cochise FWIW. I've clicked into them and they def ski easy/short. I suspect the 170, if it has the same rocker profile, will so the same.

Because it'll encourage poor technique for a beginner. Her skis are already 106 underfoot, plenty of float for a 140# person on most days. I would wait until she can ski a bit better before getting her something 116 underfoot. Instead, get her something <100mm underfoot with less rocker so she can learn to use her edges. Or better yet, buy her the same moneys worth of private lessons. Buy the shorter, 1-2 hr lessons so she can use one every few days on snow, rather than a 4 hour lesson less frequently.

YMMV.
    This is good advice. My wife started out on something 80ish waist and progressed from there. She also took advantage of free ladies lesson day at Great Divide on Friday afternoons. Not sure if that's still going on.

Agreed. Mrs JPH now has 10 seasons under her belt.. started mid 70s underfoot to learn technique. Moved up to 90ish Volkl Auras as a daily driver and progressively improved both speed and technique. Now she has a full quiver and is happy on any trail in any condition (althought still not a fan of tight trees, but thats more personality/attitude than technical ability).

Take your time, teach foundational skills. Lessons help, my wife's first 3 seasons I was teaching full time and she skied with basically all of our instructors at some point or another.. would just join in with whatever weekend group lesson was at her level, week after week. Obviously not an easy situation to pull replicate, but had an amazing effect on her progress and technique.

Buy her a carver and a few privates with a good PSIA type. It'll pay off in the long run!

Mrs Eastcoast is roughly the same height and weight and she is happily on Armada VJJ's 179cm. Those skiis are magic, they make most snow conditions (especially pow) very easy for her. She went from barely parallel 3 years ago to now confidently skiing blue and most black runs on them.

I would agree with some others and wait a little before putting her on pow skis unless she got an insane amount of days in year one. I just got my gf her first pow skis (her 3rd year and she has ~75 days on the mountain). At a min she should be able to confidently ski blacks in all conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The only way to truly develop the hands down gorilla steeze is to learn how to ski on pow skis.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

My wife is same size as your gf. I had her on 170s V8s for a while D she ended up winning a pair of 160s DPS Yvette's. I was convinced that she should be on longer skis, but she took to the shorter skis and absolutely loves them. Shorter doesn't mean worse, and remember that the goal isn't for her to ski on something that you feel manly about. It's about her having fun and as a result wanting to ski more (hopefully with you).

Marshal and I had a long discussion about this (length) as his wife (gf?) Did the same thing - stepped down in size and stepped up in overall enjoyment and feeling of control.

I would also agree about the lessons. This is a much bigger bang for your buck. My wife has been doing a ladies day for the past few years that includes a half day lesson. She has improved significantly by skiing with, and bring challenged by, other women.

A good all around ski around 100mm at the waist is a great start as others have suggested.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Wife is the about the same size as yours, but is a pretty solid skier. For pow skis, she's happier on something about 5cm longer than her daily driver. So she's on 175ish blizzards for the dd, and 180ish rossi pow skis.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fwiw I think those rossi star 7's are an anomaly for ski length so hard to compare to more typical lady ski lengths.
    I do love that Mrs Snapt skis that length tho- just to make some dudes do the whiplash double take- but she is also a very long time skier and ski racer if I recall correctly so not really comparable to OP's GF
    I'm 5'7" and come in around a buck fity and I ski 179 4frnt hojis and 182 dynafit hokkaidos. And even the most rippingest lady skiers around JH (and even here in la grave) don't really ski longer than that in general so don't let your penis length get in the way here

I think the 170 seems solid with the details you gave us. Not too short/ not too long
    Of course they are to be found quite inexpensively but I'd suggest (if you want her to learn/ rip in a shorter period of time) to pay for her to demo a couple pairs
    You don't list a location which wd be helpful in our suggestions as well. But could be a fun bday gift to have a couple days on the mtn demo'ing a couple different skis (add a nice hotel/ dinner in there to make it more special if you need to)
    Do you have one of those demo tents at your ski area? they often demo skis for 1-2H time periods for cheap and she cd try a couple skis back to back, which is always helpful since she's a beginner and doesn't know which kind suits her style yet
    You'll get way more brownie points and ski days if she love love loves her skis vs you choosing for her
    I absolutely adore the 4frnt hoji style ski with rocker and flat underfoot with loooong turning radius but you've gotta be really centered which some don't like as much/ feels too squirrely. some of my ripping lady friends absolutely hate that kind of ski and prefer a shorter turning radius. So it really ought to be her trying a couple out so you will have a ripper on your hands in way less time

Good luck! Sounds like she's a keeper if she's psyched to start the sport as an adult so either way you are winning

edit: sorry this b-bear from skijunky's login again
    Last edited by SkiJunky05; 03-21-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    Mrs Eastcoast is roughly the same height and weight and she is happily on Armada VJJ's 179cm. Those skiis are magic, they make most snow conditions (especially pow) very easy for her. She went from barely parallel 3 years ago to now confidently skiing blue and most black runs on them.
    I have a religious friend here in the valley who won't even say that she has the VJJ's she just smiles & sez she has JJ's

the 130lb GF was using a pair of borrowed DPS Yvettes last year in the 150-160 length which she really liked

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...iberty-genesis

the local shop has a pair of 166 Liberty genesis on demo so we are gona try those, if she likes em they will be a lot less $$$ and she likes the color a lot better than the blue
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SkiJunky05 View Post
    You'll get way more brownie points and ski days if she love love loves her skis vs you choosing for her
    I absolutely adore the 4frnt hoji style ski with rocker and camber underfoot with loooong turning radius but you've gotta be really centered which some don't like as much/ feels too squirrely. some of my ripping lady friends absolutely hate that kind of ski and prefer a shorter turning radius. So it really ought to be her trying a couple out so you will have a ripper on your hands in way less time
    It's almost like women are individual beings who have their own tastes and preferences!

Seriously, just let your girl decide for herself what she likes. Buy her as many 1-2 hour lessons with a local female PSIA level 3 instructor as you can afford. You want someone local who teaches full-time so they can form a relationship, and female because then there won't be any gender bias/issues.

photos

It's almost like women are individual beings who have their own tastes and preferences!
    i know next thing you know we’re going to want to learn to read and stuff
    This reminds me of a time we took a 3 wk ski trip for our honeymoon and my brand new husband switched my ski boots the night before we left bc ‘one of my buckles was broken (it worked fine the spring had just worn out) and they are the exact same shell’ says he.
    yea except i’d done buttloads of customization on my beloved boots- shorter cable bails etc.
    I forgave him.....barely though
    skid luxury

well that's what happens when you let them drive and vote

Man, you guys are slipping...
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

the 130lb GF was using a pair of borrowed DPS Yvettes last year in the 150-160 length which she really liked

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...iberty-genesis

the local shop has a pair of 166 Liberty genesis on demo so we are gona try those, if she likes em they will be a lot less $$$ and she likes the color a lot better than the blue
    so we had a pretty good dump of late season pow and GF was able to try out the Genisis in a 166, its been a year so she doesnt really remember the diff between a Yvette & the Genisis but in any case she really liked how they were easy to turn, she had a lot of fun in the pow even tho she is not a pow skier, she skis slow in control so a soft powski with groomer ability is gona be fine for her, she doesn't think she could have done so well on her old skis, and watching her ski I agree, i would say that ^^ blister review is dead on ... so she decided to buy them.

Liberty Genesis might be a good ski for small women intermediate skiers or just small people who want to ski more pow to consider, the skis she tried are not exactly the same grapics as in the link above but more or less the same color, I think liberty was smart with their choice of graphics ( they might appeal to any skier or at least not piss them off ) and the Dealer sez Liberty is not doing this ski next season SO pretty quick gona be last years ski ... it might come up cheap

she asked what to do with her old BD Joules to which I replied that was always a shitty ski and so it can be said now

we can sacrifice them to Ullr ... what does that mean asks she ?

next fall burn the fucking things
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-25-2018 at 10:47 AM.