Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

108ish, medium stiff, 18-20 radius, camber underfoot

I'm looking for a OSQ that's halfway between my Bonafides and Automatic 117s in width and stiffness. Skis I've considered are Sick Day 104 (probably softer than I want), QST 106--felt like I was only using the middle of the ski, 100Eights--felt dead to me. I haven't demoed the Backland 109's but am considering, because I like the Automatics so much, but am hoping for something a little sitffer for crud and as an all purpose traveling ski. I'm not getting rid of the Bones and Automatics. Anything else I should consider?

Dynastar Legend x106

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Dynastar Legend x106
    I forgot about those. They sound like too stiff for an old man but I should give them a try.

Dynastar Legend x106
    This

There’s a pair of 186 4frnt gauchos for sale on here- little skinnier but they float above their weight. Hand flex on the softer side but have great edge grip via titanal and are torsionally stiff. Check em out

Dynastar Legend x106
    Yup. The 106x is a great ski.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I forgot about those. They sound like too stiff for an old man but I should give them a try.
    Maybe try the 182. They aren't overly demanding in either the 182 or 188 size but have more guts than the QST or Lines. Less demanding than the Bodacious, not sure on the Automatics, haven't skied a pair in about 8 years.

108ish, medium stiff, 18-20 radius, camber underfoot

I would say the Gaucho is more like your Autos than your Bonesz. But from what I’ve heard I’m pretty sure they charge harder- only skied the Gauchos, never Autos, cuz I’m fat.

Enforcer 110 is a really versatile ski.

and of course, the Kartel 108. It's not nearly as tricky as older Kartel models.

Blizzard Zero G 108. Or the Rustler 10.

I like lighter skis.

Rustler 10 is a good ski. I have a pair of Fischer Big Stix 110's, but those are more medium, than medium stiff.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

if you can loosen up the turn radius slightly, Praxis Freeride.

Black Crow Corvus. All boxes checked

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Backland 109 probably makes sense. Black Crows Corvus as well. Rustler 10 maybe.

Dynastar Legend x106
    Is this the ski for folks who still want charger ski cred but don't really want a charger ski?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Is this the ski for folks who still want charger ski cred but don't really want a charger ski?
    Pretty much. It's a good daily driver.

Voile SuperCharger if using it for touring.

Pretty much. It's a good daily driver.
    Yup. Skied it nice and easy, didn't care. Smashed the throttle, didn't care.

In a mid-100s ski, I'd take them out in hard pack through light dustings. My bias is to not get the crap beat out of me in bumps. My old bones don't like stiff skis in hard bumps. Groomers bore me to tears. With that in mind ...

I wanted to demo the Legend X106, but all I could find were the 96's. The 96's like to rip groomers and are meh in tricky snow. Their race heritage shows. The 106's are supposed to be more versatile, but hand flexing them in the shop, I think the tails would torture my old bones in bumps. Maybe I'm wrong.

Kartel 108 - the tail is really helpful in bumps. The chargers on this forum don't think they rail fast enough. They're fast enough enough for me. They don't ski as new school as you'd expect. I can ski them with a similar stance as I do my GPOs which are mounted at -1.5.

Automatic 109 (don't know what's changed in the Backland). This was my one ski quiver a few years ago. Like a detuned GPO. Gets thrown around a bit in chop compared with a GPO and doesn't hold an edge as well. I'm thinking of returning these to regular use - 'coz they're softer for my old bones when the snow is hard (and I've been buying too many skis lately).

BTW, the Freeride tail kicked my ass in hard bumps. Keith mentioned that they're not the first ski he'd reach for either if he knew he'd be skiing a lot of hard bumps so it's not just an age thing ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-20-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I turn more than charge, prefer carving to slarving, and tend to like mid stiffness skis with decently supportive, traditional tails. I've had Monster 103s and Legend XXLs and have just decided I don't always want to have to be "on." Maybe if I were bigger than 5'8" and 165lbs those skis wouldn't require all the mass I can throw at them...

I loved the QST 106s 181cm. Previously had Bigstix 110 186cm and liked them, but wanted both more tip rocker and a touch more sidecut (24m). Ended up with the Ranger 108 Ti in a 182cm. Not too many days on it, but so far happy with it. Find it very natural and intuitive for my turny, centered style. Definitely not the damp charger the XXLs were, but outside of the chop they have been just what I was looking for.

K2 Annex 108, cheap, underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    K2 Annex 108, cheap, underrated.
    My son has the wider version of that--he loves it which probably means I'd hate it.

Wren 108? That is what I’ve been eyeing, although it might be a bit wider than. What I’m looking for.

can you really go wrong with the 280 dollar new El Capo?

Love mine, The Bonafide is slightly better in chop, but the Capo is actually pretty good in powder, rail groomers, and swivels in bumps and trees pretty easily. Tip - they all come railed go get is base ground before skiing them if you get them.