Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Counted 50 bikes hanging out at the water tanks one Saturday mid summer.

I still haven't ridden Demo. It was closed last time I was there.

Thanks for the input, folks! To be clear, we'll be there on Friday. I don't go to popular places on weekends anymore. I'd prefer to do it mid-week, but I don't make it west often, and this is the day I have to do it.

I'm a little skittish of the tickets for poaching issue, which is not something I've faced before. If I rejoin the fire road after Donut, will I avoid the main risk areas?
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I rode there a lot 2010-2013 (helped build Donut ~2012) and I never saw any rangers above Aptos Creek

One day to ride in Santa Cruz?

My buddy rides there a few days a week. I get a day or two a month (can’t get myself to drive 15 miles). Never had issues with any rangers. It is sort of an don’t ask don’t tell policy currently.

That includes Sideshows btw. I hit that every time I’m coming down and have never seen any rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I rode it opening weekend last year, haven't since. It's probably much different now after the amount of traffic in demo last summer. It's pretty fun, would recommend doing if you have the time. I'd almost describe it like a continuation of ridge. If you only have "one day to ride" though it would not be my choice. I haven't done it again because A) have been kinda avoiding demo, its a shitshow on the weekends B) the additional climb out isn't too bad but just bad enough I'd rather do flow or braille C) I felt it needed a winter of rain to settle the new dirt last summer, I will probably try it again soon. Do it for the variety not because it is better than UC (which I am not sure is possible anyway ).
    Hmmm... maybe its worth riding if I have the time. Sawpit used to be my favorite lap at demo only because it seemed you got an extended downhill and I loved the steeper rutted sections with small jumps. Curious to see if they kept this same line or they re-routed. Anyway... thanks for info!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Hmmm... maybe its worth riding if I have the time. Sawpit used to be my favorite lap at demo only because it seemed you got an extended downhill and I loved the steeper rutted sections with small jumps. Curious to see if they kept this same line or they re-routed. Anyway... thanks for info!
    The reroute is all at the bottom, the og trail bed is used for the first 2/3 or so. Well past the steep little climb about 1/2 way down. The new cut is pretty fun too especially as it’s getting bedded in now.

Well, that was great. Thanks again for the advice folks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210507-200601.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	373855
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

TGR username checks out.

Jesus
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Holy crap

Glad I didn’t “show you around”. I did 1/5th of that yesterday on the Wilder/UC side. But I also only had 2 hours. Damn. Must have been a sweet ride.

There's no way that only burned 1500 calories.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah, no power meter on the mtb, so it's pretty far off. I did an 8hr ride on the road bike (130 mi, 13k ft, if you're counting) last week and it said 4500kCal, which is prob more accurate. I'm only 63kg. I ate over 2000 during the ride and was fine but quite ready for tacos afterward.

The trails in Demo, if I'm honest, were a bit disappointing. It wasn't crowded, but stuff is very blown out. Even Flow was badly torn up with braking bumps. Corral was in good shape. There were 2 mopeds being ridden by gapers with half helmets and goggles.

The "other" trails, though, are magical and live up to the hype. Next time I'll just ride the heck out of them and skip Demo altogether. It's amazing how steep trails can be and still work. In the desert we can't go steep because it will just be a loose trench.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post

The trails in Demo, if I'm honest, were a bit disappointing. It wasn't crowded, but stuff is very blown out .
    Ha, just wait until august.

The "other" trails, though, are magical and live up to the hype. Next time I'll just ride the heck out of them and skip Demo altogether. It's amazing how steep trails can be and still work. In the desert we can't go steep because it will just be a loose trench.
    I almost never ride demo, there’s no need to go up there when the trails lower down are so good.

That is fucking insane.

The trails in Demo, if I'm honest, were a bit disappointing. It wasn't crowded, but stuff is very blown out. Even Flow was badly torn up with braking bumps. Corral was in good shape. There were 2 mopeds being ridden by gapers with half helmets and goggles.
    It's all volunteer to take care of those trails, correct? Tough to bitch if your not helping to maintain.

The shape of Demo basically boils down to it being the only halfway decent fully legal trail system in the Bay Area. Coupled with all the Covid noobs, and it gets hammered with brake bumps within 2 weeks of the volunteer crew working on it. It doesn't help that entitled idiots ride their ebikes there (CalFire specifically prohibits ebikes in the forest) for added wear and tear, either from added laps, added weight, lack of riding skill, or most often all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    The shape of Demo basically boils down to it being the only halfway decent fully legal trail system in the Bay Area. Coupled with all the Covid noobs, and it gets hammered with brake bumps within 2 weeks of the volunteer crew working on it. It doesn't help that entitled idiots ride their ebikes there (CalFire specifically prohibits ebikes in the forest) for added wear and tear, either from added laps, added weight, lack of riding skill, or most often all of the above.
    +1. Its also more on the leeward side of the mountains than most of the other Santa Cruz trails so they get less moisture, especially compared to the trails in Nisene.

Yeah, no power meter on the mtb, so it's pretty far off. I did an 8hr ride on the road bike (130 mi, 13k ft, if you're counting) last week and it said 4500kCal, which is prob more accurate. I'm only 63kg. I ate over 2000 during the ride and was fine but quite ready for tacos afterward.

the "blown out" parts are part of the fun!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

9 drops sure are fun. Then Mailboxes is a freaking blast and Wallyworld is a pow run. Good gawd SC is an epic place to ride. So much variety.

Funny, I'm in your neck of the woods. You are making me miss home.

And Wallyworld really is such a hero pow run. So fast. Especially that middle third.

Looking a little more dusty than how I left it.

If you ever get "bored" of Santa Cruz, Aptos is just a 20 minute drive* away.

* As long as you drive over before noon, then by 2pm it is an hour away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Funny, I'm in your neck of the woods. You are making me miss home.

And Wallyworld really is such a hero pow run. So fast. Especially that middle third.

Looking a little more dusty than how I left it.

If you ever get "bored" of Santa Cruz, Aptos is just a 20 minute drive* away.

* As long as you drive over before noon, then by 2pm it is an hour away.
    I'm back now and wish I was still there! This heat is horrible!

Yeah, we did a little hike in Byrne-Milliron and then hit Beer30 for a thirst quench.

I've spent upwards of seven weeks in SC now over the past 6 years, so I've become pretty familiar with the surrounding towns. Driving there reminds me of Boston Not really, but the roads do spin you around in so many directions. Having my kid there over the years has certainly helped getting us from A to B. He just got booted from his westside rental (owners kid moved in) so for the first time he's a mid-towner right off Seabright. Not so easy to get out of town to surf anymore. Closer to his brother on 30th, which is good. Hits a little wedge in the early AM for his fix before work.

Seabright is kind of nice tho. Lots of walkable food and drink. Not so hard to get north if you head out early.

Humid as fuck on the Cape right now. Been biking the CCRT mostly. Pavement is fast. Been hitting up Devils Purse brewery 11.5 miles from the rental this past week. Perfect way to drink and burn off the hops. Gonna hit some single track and an alleged pump track on the way home. Gotta admit the fully rigid bike and narrow high pressure tires are a different challenge. At least the trails are smooth.

Back home and put in 25 miles and 3k. Felt really good back on my new bike, in my back yard on trails I know. A bit dusty and loose but oh so much fun.

I may have 1 or 2 days free in October to ride somewhere around the South Bay Area. Strongly prefer trails close to a shop where I can rent a bike, so I don't have to deal with fitting it in a rental car. Is Santa Cruz my best bet? This will be on a weekend so I'm guessing it will be busy, and I'd be willing to drive farther for a better experience.