Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

One day to ride in Santa Cruz?

Going to be making a loop in california next month with my son and we have a day in Santa Cruz. Obviously lots of demos available, but we will have a rental car. What would those in the know recommend? We both ride a lot, so technical/uphills are fine, but not too psyched on that long fire road climb to the demo forest. Use the shuttle? Closest shop/demo to shuttle pick up?
    Any other info?
    Thanks

Tech is limited in SC proper (compared to our EC stuff) from what I've seen. Slog up and fun dh. The slog is well designed though. Flows nicely on the up.

Demo forest was closed, so I haven't ridden there yet. I'll be out there next month also and hope to get some rides in out there.

Rent an suv or van that can hold bikes.

Start in town, ride up through the pogonip, across the top of UCSC, could do a loop or two up there if want, head out through Wilder Ranch, pick a downhill to the coast. poke around the pocket beaches, take the bike path back into town, west cliff drive, steamers lane, finish with a brew in downtown (watch your bikes). Classic Santa Cruz ride , around 15-20 miles more if you want depending on loops in UCSC or Wilder and beyond. more cruising cross country both single track and fire road, then rowdy downhill. There are features in the woods behind UCSC though if that is your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Start in town, ride up through the pogonip, across the top of UCSC, could do a loop or two up there if want, head out through Wilder Ranch, pick a downhill to the coast. poke around the pocket beaches, take the bike path back into town, west cliff drive, steamers lane, finish with a brew in downtown (watch your bikes). Classic Santa Cruz ride , around 15-20 miles more if you want depending on loops in UCSC or Wilder and beyond. more cruising cross country both single track and fire road, then rowdy downhill. There are features in the woods behind UCSC though if that is your thing.
    That sounds fun--can that all be done from the SC Bikes shop where we were thinking of picking up a demo for the day?

What bike shop are you renting from? ABS is close to Wilder, so you can go up from there. You can also go up the 'sewer' line into ucsc via the roads for an easier up. Then you can cross over to Wilder or do the stuff in UCSC, but I will say it's really easy to turned around in there. Fun stuff and steep. Then you can head into pogonip also. There is a lot in that whole area, but not necessarily marked well.

Wilder is fun, but there are a lot of dbl track roads, so finding the single is somewhat of a challenge. Look out for horses...and their shite. They also have the right of way.

If you are demo'ing from Santa Cruz bikes, you can ride directly from there (did two rides in October that way). Most of the stuff at UCSC is not sanctioned, but is worth riding if you can either link up with someone who knows what's up or get some rec's from Santa Cruz. Mailboxes is one, Airborne was rowdy, Star Wars, Lock em up, Magic.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Some of my tracks.
    This one is 13 miles. Loop at top of track is fun with "park" style features.

This one is 8 miles. This one starts in Pogonip and is a nice climb. Didn't really know the down, so ended up backtracking.

This one is 17 miles. Started in UCSC by getting dropped off and ended going down thru Wilder. That track goes right by Santa Cruz bikes on the 1 and ABS shop is right there also.

Enjoy it!

you guys are quick. have fun! weather should be pretty good, it can get very windy along coast that time of year try to ride north to south or fight 20 knot headwind.

Renting from SC is $$. ABS has SC rental bikes for less fwiw.

Wow. Awesome info! Thanks!
    SC Demos are $40 for 4 hours, ABS is $80 for 6 hours. We will likely go with SC but need to reserve soon--it looks like their demos get booked up.

Maybe take the train from the beach up to Felton, and ride back down on Hwy 9? Not sure if they allow bikes on the train, but you could call and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Wow. Awesome info! Thanks!
    SC Demos are $40 for 4 hours, ABS is $80 for 6 hours. We will likely go with SC but need to reserve soon--it looks like their demos get booked up.
    Huh? I rented for days at a time, so maybe that was why it was cheaper. I don't recall exactly.

You do have to book the SC rentals though, so do it online beforehand so you don't get shut out.

I should add that the top track was 1900 vert and the others are over 1k. Give yourself some time to get lost.

This one might be good if you start at SC bike shop.

1k vert in just over an hour and there are other trails to hit to expand the ride in the immediate area.

If you can, I'd really recommend renting a minivan so that you can start a bit further from SCB or ABS. The spots I usually start from are either the Costco parking lot (climb up Emma), or at the first parking lot off the right of HW9. Starting at HW9, you can do a loop that ends up being ~16 miles / 2,300 ft in about 3 hours that will hit Mailboxes & one of the runs down to HW9. If you start at Costco, it will be a bit longer.

ANY OF THIS! I love santa cruz! I couldn't make a better recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Some of my tracks.
    This one is 13 miles. Loop at top of track is fun with "park" style features.

This one is 8 miles. This one starts in Pogonip and is a nice climb. Didn't really know the down, so ended up backtracking.

This one is 17 miles. Started in UCSC by getting dropped off and ended going down thru Wilder. That track goes right by Santa Cruz bikes on the 1 and ABS shop is right there also.

Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    If you can, I'd really recommend renting a minivan so that you can start a bit further from SCB or ABS. The spots I usually start from are either the Costco parking lot (climb up Emma), or at the first parking lot off the right of HW9. Starting at HW9, you can do a loop that ends up being ~16 miles / 2,300 ft in about 3 hours that will hit Mailboxes & one of the runs down to HW9. If you start at Costco, it will be a bit longer.
    ABS to Costco is like a mile of flat pavement. Not need for a van.

ABS cross Mission, bike King to Escalona to bike party to Harvey West, through Costco and up the road to Emma McCray, up to U-Conn, pole around campus a bit, up the road to Grey Whale, Mailboxes to Wilder, to Lost Cabin and then down Cow Pies (?) to the bike path to ABS. A good solid day.

The terrain park (Z) behind campus is cool. Too big for me, but pretty cool

I highly recommend "mailbox" just off campus into Wilder. They have done a bunch of work to that trail and it's super fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I highly recommend "mailbox" just off campus into Wilder. They have done a bunch of work to that trail and it's super fun.
    Have not been on it in years, but it was always fun. Never could make the final down hill w/o bailing tho.

I love how a bunch of illegals trails around here have the biggest improvements. Last time I hit that trail, it had two big man made ramps/jumps.

Yeah, it has a ton of berms and even more jumps, including hip style. The great thing is the made A, B, and C lines. The bottom pitch is definitely a pretty techy decent. It's all about finding the right line...almost EC style!

Definitely plan on including Mailboxes in our descent from upper campus on our Saturday ride

Head to SF ahead of a work week in Oakland this weekend. Had planned to do Santa Cruz the second weekend (10/6-7) and may still do that but buddy on the front weekend (9/30) got my dates wrong and has family stuff to do. Too expensive to move the flight so think I'll just rent a car and figure it out.

Would love to run back up to Downieville but that may be pushing it. Santa Cruz is way less driving, so...

...seems like Cycle Works has the best rental deal (Process 153 for $80/24 hours). Santa Cruz proper is all booked up

Jackstraw maybe I'll ask you for your Strava track in more detail. Any mags living in SC and want to show a kook around this w/e?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Head to SF ahead of a work week in Oakland this weekend. Had planned to do Santa Cruz the second weekend (10/6-7) and may still do that but buddy on the front weekend (9/30) got my dates wrong and has family stuff to do. Too expensive to move the flight so think I'll just rent a car and figure it out.

Would love to run back up to Downieville but that may be pushing it. Santa Cruz is way less driving, so...

...seems like Cycle Works has the best rental deal (Process 153 for $80/24 hours). Santa Cruz proper is all booked up

Jackstraw maybe I'll ask you for your Strava track in more detail. Any mags living in SC and want to show a kook around this w/e?
    Yeah, I don't know how to give more details. Maybe if you follow me on Strava you can see it more clearly. I'm not sure. Let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

My oldest is in SC for a surf trip crashing at his brothers before he starts his 'real' job, but unfortunately he's getting skunked. The waves back here are better than out there. Strange days indeed.

I'll be riding in SC this Sunday (9/30), probably starting at around 9 or 9:30 from HWY9, and wouldn't mind playing tour guide a bit. Usual loop is about 15 miles & 2500 ft. If that sounds like it works, shoot me a PM and I can give you my cell number.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I'll be riding in SC this Sunday (9/30), probably starting at around 9 or 9:30 from HWY9, and wouldn't mind playing tour guide a bit. Usual loop is about 15 miles & 2500 ft. If that sounds like it works, shoot me a PM and I can give you my cell number.
    Hey man! Appreciate the offer. Buddy has un-bailed on me but I'll be there the following weekend. Will you be around?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using TGR Forums mobile app
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Hey man! Appreciate the offer. Buddy has un-bailed on me but I'll be there the following weekend. Will you be around?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using TGR Forums mobile app
    Unfortunately not, kid's birthday next weekend. Have fun!