Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hey y'all!

Had a super fun day in SC yesterday. Rented Konas from Cycleworks, pedaled up to Golf Club drive, then Emma's to UConn to the fire road to the top. Did a lap on sweetness, back up and then down Magic all the way across 9 to the railroad. Back to emmas, back all the way up to twin gates, then down mailboxes and bike path into town. So fun to check that off the bucket list! Those trees are so damn tall, it's like being in the land before time.

I liked the mix of playful sections and steep chunky stuff on Magic the best. Had a 29er Process that felt like a brick on the mellower stuff but was super fun for Hulk Smashing the chunder and the high speed drops. So damn fun!!

Also big ups to Ryan and Garret from Specialized who showed us around after we randomly ran into them, and helped us fix a flat after I popped the tube highsiding into a "berm" that was just an ugly creekbed littered with rocks.

I got totally dehydrated after only bringing a.bottle, 5 hours in the woods did me in but had such a blast. Can't wait to hit.demo next time!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181006_160047339-01.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	249944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181006_160747317-01.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	249945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181006_144742565.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	249946

Sent from my moto g(6) play using TGR Forums mobile app
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181006_160747317-01.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	249945
    Nice!

I've been at that spot several times now and have walked my bike each time. I 'know' I could ride it, but man, that's a long way down to a shallow rocky stream bed if something goes wrong. Short walk from some of the dorms. Cool spot to hang between classes.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Nice!

I've been at that spot several times now and have walked my bike each time. I 'know' I could ride it, but man, that's a long way down to a shallow rocky stream bed if something goes wrong. Short walk from some of the dorms. Cool spot to hang between classes.
    Yeah, had that temptation as well.but it's a solid 8 feet down. Was totally gassed at that point and got tripped up when my frotn wheel got stuck in the log thing on the walk over. Very happy I didn't test my luck!

Thanks again for the recs. Luckily ran into some folks who showed us around, that ucsc stuff is a rats nest of trails and we would have been totally lost.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using TGR Forums mobile app
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I 'know' I could ride it, but man, that's a long way down to a shallow rocky stream bed if something goes wrong.
    Yeah, had that temptation as well.but it's a solid 8 feet down ... Very happy I didn't test my luck!
    Don't you wish avalanche decision making in the BC was this straightforward?

Like, I 'know' I could ski it and get away without anything happening but man, this is a 4' persistent slab that will destroy everything in its path if it pops, not to mention the cliff strainers at the bottom of this thing if something goes wrong.

Too many times I hear people talk about how "bomber" things are vs quantifying the fundamental avy problem on the slope. It's just so much different when that hazard isn't blatantly staring you in the face, unlike that scary ass creekbed.

Sorry about the thrunting, glad you enjoyed UCSC area, I miss riding there, but I didn't end up in too bad a spot leaving NorCal (35 mins from west Oakridge).

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Don't you wish avalanche decision making in the BC was this straightforward?
    Umm, yeah...yes, I do.

I have walked down from several BC lines, but I've ridden some that probably could have gone the other way...because I didn't see that rocky creekbed below. Maybe this is why I'm more into biking these days...or my location...yeah, it's my location. Nothing beats powdah turns.

Thanks again for the recs. Luckily ran into some folks who showed us around, that ucsc stuff is a rats nest of trails and we would have been totally lost.

TGR Forums mobile app
    I’ve lived here 20 years and still get lost behind UCSC. Then again, I tends to surf. And when I do surf it’s a quick XC loop in Wilder before dark, so I don’t get up there enough to learn my way around well.

Probably too pedestrian for the tgr crowd but there is one out and back trail close to Empire that I love. Easy climb and a near perfect flow on the return, cross the road and ride Mailboxes down into the park and from there to the coast.

Man, I love living here. Late season south swells keep me off the dirt, but I did get a free bike tune today on West Cliff.

Man, came a cross this thread, and in the past 18 months, I've gotten to know these trails quite well. Just getting back to the more fun zones at almost 6 months post shoulder surgery. I'm a kook on the downhill, but these trails are so much fun. Shoot me up if you are coming to visit this area and need trail info. I can even likely give you recent updates. Mailboxes was a ton of fun back in September. Should be back on that in a few weeks. Got to make a spring break ski trip happen first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Man, came a cross this thread, and in the past 18 months, I've gotten to know these trails quite well. Just getting back to the more fun zones at almost 6 months post shoulder surgery. I'm a kook on the downhill, but these trails are so much fun. Shoot me up if you are coming to visit this area and need trail info. I can even likely give you recent updates. Mailboxes was a ton of fun back in September. Should be back on that in a few weeks. Got to make a spring break ski trip happen first.
    The UC trails are incredible. It feels like you are riding where and how MTB was meant to be (I'm sure folks in the PNW will argue...and I've never ridden up there, so they're probably right, lol). That being said, some of the trails there are just phenomenal, frigging STEEP, loose, rowdy and amazing- grandpa, kimbo, AD, etc, and of course the classics like magic, chupa, sweetness...at least for me, I'll finish a drop then think to myself how the F did I make that!?

Takes me just about an hour to park and be on the trails, feel pretty lucky for that!
    "I just got back from the Psych ward...OBVIOUSLY i am sane!"

Yeah. I bike from home. And I never really appreciated that until recently. Biked from home and up Emma McCray with my 9 year old. Turned around and went hime. Took us two hours.

I feel so lucky that if I have an hour and half I can climb wilder, lap the top of UC and head back down. With another 45 minutes I can fit in a Sweetness/Magic zone lap.

I'll have to hit you up next time, was just there a couple wks ago. Knee started bugging me so I turned around not much past top of Emma Mc. Did too much wilder and demo : )

Will definitely hit you up next time I’m back. Need someone to show me chups and magic again. I followed one dude from scb down Magic full out flat out and that trail gets rowdy quick!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Bumping this thread because I'll be in the Bay Area visiting family this weekend and next week. We're thinking about riding in SC Friday, at least.

Should I just do the Aptos to Demo climb and then do some loops, or should I try to find my way around the UC forest? I'm thinking 30-50 miles would be good if it's mostly riding. If it's constant features etc obviously we'd be looking for fewer miles. The GF will prob do a smaller ride but is still up for significant mileage.

We're driving the 22' Winningbago, so parking might be tougher in tiny spots. Thoughts?
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Not a local but just spent a week there recently, had a really good time. The only place I didn't get to ride was Aptos because I was told by a few people that there is great riding there but finding it without being shown by someone is unlikely. Aptos to Demo would be a pretty significant amount of climbing I think. From the Demo TH I rode both trails there and it was almost 3k. I think the climb from Aptos to the Demo ridge is about 3k itself so you'd possibly be looking at a 6k day but could be pretty awesome if that's what you're looking for.

I had no problem finding fun trails around UC, just ask and people seem willing to show you.

The iOS app "Offline Topo Maps" has a bunch of the UCSC trails shown on it on the "OpenCycleMap HD" layer. Doesn't tell you the difficulty, but will help you navigate around through the rat's nest of trails if you get a few names from friends to check out.

If you're going on the weekend, get to the parking lot EARLY. It's been really full.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I think the climb from Aptos to the Demo ridge is about 3k itself so you'd possibly be looking at a 6k day but could be pretty awesome if that's what you're looking for.
    Clearly you don't follow Evan on Strava

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Bumping this thread because I'll be in the Bay Area visiting family this weekend and next week. We're thinking about riding in SC Friday, at least.

Should I just do the Aptos to Demo climb and then do some loops, or should I try to find my way around the UC forest? I'm thinking 30-50 miles would be good if it's mostly riding. If it's constant features etc obviously we'd be looking for fewer miles. The GF will prob do a smaller ride but is still up for significant mileage.

We're driving the 22' Winningbago, so parking might be tougher in tiny spots. Thoughts?
    If you want a longer outing its hard to beat a Aptos-Demo ride. The fire road up to Demo from Aptos is a great climb and you can take singletrack almost all the way down from Demo into Aptos. Its all illegal, just look for the no bikes signs and those are the trails. Occasionally there are state park rangers ticketing mtb riders exiting the trails onto the fire road on the lower section closer to town, especially on weekends. I recommend taking Bacon-Pig-Donut down. also consider exiting to the West thru the Land of the Medicine Buddha.

You can also combine UCSC and/or Wilder Ranch, Henry Cowell, Barking Dogs to make a longer ride. Most trails worth riding are on Caltopo/Openstreetmap. Strava Heatmaps also has everything you would want.

Parking is easy at the bottom of Nisene Marks in Aptos by Epicenter Bikes, and off Hwy 1 at Wilder Ranch. You could also park your rig at Twin Gates off Empire Grade, lots of roadside parking up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Clearly you don't follow Evan on Strava

give 'er!

One day to ride in Santa Cruz?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    If you want a longer outing its hard to beat a Aptos-Demo ride. The fire road up to Demo from Aptos is a great climb and you can take singletrack almost all the way down from Demo into Aptos. Its all illegal, just look for the no bikes signs and those are the trails. Occasionally there are state park rangers ticketing mtb riders exiting the trails onto the fire road on the lower section closer to town, especially on weekends. I recommend taking Bacon-Pig-Donut down. also consider exiting to the West thru the Land of the Medicine Buddha.

You can also combine UCSC and/or Wilder Ranch, Henry Cowell, Barking Dogs to make a longer ride. Most trails worth riding are on Caltopo/Openstreetmap. Strava Heatmaps also has everything you would want.

Parking is easy at the bottom of Nisene Marks in Aptos by Epicenter Bikes, and off Hwy 1 at Wilder Ranch. You could also park your rig at Twin Gates off Empire Grade, lots of roadside parking up there.
    Bacon Pig Donut Donut Extension Sideshows is a great route down. But there are several forks and taking the wrong direction could be problematic.

I agree having a guide through Nisene can be worth it or really good directions.

UCSC can be hard to navigate but as long as you don’t mind downhills almost all of them end at route 9 or an obvious climbing route or UCON.

Some of the Nisene trails go to never never ville.

Twin Gates has been packed on weekends. Same with the route 1 lot for Wilder. Not sure about Route 9. I bike from my home on the Westside and it takes less than 10 minutes to get to Wilder or Emma McCray.

Anybody ridden new Sawpit? Headed back to Bay for a couple of weeks and wondering if it's worth doing over the UC stuff. Although UC stuff is hard to pass up - super fun riding followed by tacos/burritos on the beach and a quick stop at Humble Sea.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Anybody ridden new Sawpit? Headed back to Bay for a couple of weeks and wondering if it's worth doing over the UC stuff. Although UC stuff is hard to pass up - super fun riding followed by tacos/burritos on the beach and a quick stop at Humble Sea.
    I rode it opening weekend last year, haven't since. It's probably much different now after the amount of traffic in demo last summer. It's pretty fun, would recommend doing if you have the time. I'd almost describe it like a continuation of ridge. If you only have "one day to ride" though it would not be my choice. I haven't done it again because A) have been kinda avoiding demo, its a shitshow on the weekends B) the additional climb out isn't too bad but just bad enough I'd rather do flow or braille C) I felt it needed a winter of rain to settle the new dirt last summer, I will probably try it again soon. Do it for the variety not because it is better than UC (which I am not sure is possible anyway ).

I just mapped out riding from Aptos to Demo via the fire road, then Sawpit. Climb back up via Old Sulphur Springs rd (Or is there a better way back up?) then ride Flow. Back to the top, ride Braille, then return via Bacon-Pig-Donut & finish on the fire road. How does this sound? ~42 miles and ~8k elevation is no problem. The GF could just do one of the loops at the top and we'd probably be lined up to ride down together.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I just mapped out riding from Aptos to Demo via the fire road, then Sawpit. Climb back up via Old Sulphur Springs rd (Or is there a better way back up?) then ride Flow. Back to the top, ride Braille, then return via Bacon-Pig-Donut & finish on the fire road. How does this sound? ~42 miles and ~8k elevation is no problem. The GF could just do one of the loops at the top and we'd probably be lined up to ride down together.
    My legs hurt thinking about that. But sounds like an absolute blast. Personally, I would ride Braille first, then sawpit, then flow. Only because I don't like riding Braille tired. Sulphur springs is the way if you are already in demo. Getting back to the top to get out to Aptos fireroad is a bit tricky. You'd probably want to go all the way up Hihns road to highland way, then buzzard lagoon back to aptos fireroad. I would not want to climb up ridge. Although it's probably doable I have never seen anyone do it. You could take Cusack's trail for a bit of single track off of buzzard lagoon.

That would be a great ride, I've done it before but only with 2 demo loops, 3 is very burly. If its a weekday descending Westridge thru Nisene is fun but you risk getting a ticket and there are hikers. I'd download the GPX track off caltopo, back in the day the locals would deliberately try to route the trail incorrectly (especially near the junction to Pig) to throw off intruders.

I left SC 8 years ago and parking was not an issue at Wilder or Twin Gates, times have changed.

Parking is bad only since the pandemic. Every dentist in the Bay Area has a new carbon ebike for the family and can afford beers at Humble Sea. No parking there either.

Still plenty of quite trail riding, especially on weekdays. Friday afternoon till Sunday has been a shit show. Counted 50 bikes hanging out at the water tanks one Saturday mid summer.

Clinberevan, it is worth doing at least Sideshows after Donut. I prefer Donut Extension as well, but that gives you an additional climb back up half the incline. But yeah, Sideshows is a nice finish and cuts out the road incline downhill.

I’ve done this ride and it’s a big day.

I’d recommend doing flow first, straight back up Tractor for a saw pit lap, then loop all the way out and see if you’re up for the third Braille lap.

If you want a special day skip demo and hit the big slide laps, rocky/bullwinkle/squirrel will set you right.