Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Someone mentioned that all the cars will need to be connected and talking to each other for this to really work, but that's likely wrong. You can create hyper-realistic simulations of starling mumurations and other flocking behavior without overt coordination between individuals in the simulation. Each individual reacts only to a handful of its closest neighbors based on a handful of rules. The same could easily be done for cars on the road since it's a 2D environment with dozens or hundreds of individuals compared to 3D and thousands of individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Has anybody considered ownership? Or, the lack of? You know that these things will be leased, or, the whole personal transportation industry will be Uberized. Goodbye freedom of the road. All you hearty hale men of the mountains will have to give up your monster trucks for a feeble little robot. It will take a mandate from DC, but, they're a bunch of whores easily bought by the newly forming industry. Right?

Thus ain't about safety, either. That's the sanctimonious rap To Justify It all. This is about eliminating millions of pesky human driving jobs, and saving trillions in expenses those smelly humans cost some the transportation industry. And monopoly power and profits, too. He who wins first, wins.
    I would argue our political overlords would prefer it just to have complete control over the populace. The fact that it would help their corporate buddies is just a bonus.
    Live Free or Die

I've seen smarter discussions among high schoolers.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Attachment 229119

I think you have it all upsiding down
    I laughed.

Having a fast car on an open road is the essence of freedom.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Interesting point that a human driver (as opposed to the backup driver in the Uber car who was probably rubbing one out) might anticipate a lady pushing a bike loaded with shopping bags might do something weird. I'd feel better if the cars were being programmed by some 50 somethings with some years behind the wheel than by what I assume are a bunch of 20 somethings who probably ride bikes to work every day.

Or maybe Uber has programmed their cars to exterminate homeless people. Maybe it's part of their deal with AZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    The utopian vision of this technology is electricity filled highways with autonomous cars and trucks screaming along bumper to bumper at 150 mph or more with zero collisions and every car/bus/truck fully knowing exactly what every move of every other vehicle will be entering or exiting those super highways. You could get in the ride designated for you in San Deigo with your gear bedtime and wake up at Jackson Hole for first chair. Ski the entire day bell to bell Saturday and Sunday, get back in a ride Sunday evening then wake up at your house in time to go to work Monday morning.. All without the hassle of airports, checking your gear. Worrying about the gate attendants giving you shit about your boot bag being two inches too fat to carry on, etc.. I think when it finally works right we'll all welcome it.
    You know what the infrastructure in this country is like. And we can't even build a little bridge without it crashing down. What are the chances we will ever be able to afford the utopia of which you speak?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Absolutely
    Sadly the sheep will embrace autonomous cars and the wolves will pay the price.

Damn right. And two chicks at the same time.

I thought the essence of freedom was guns?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I'm convinced Waymo can solve many of our traffic woes with relatively low implementation of self-driving cars among us.

But curious if these will ever make an appearance on the race track. Can a self-driving car, learning and optimizing during the race, programmed for winning, stand a chance against Lewis Hamilton?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Or maybe Uber has programmed their cars to exterminate homeless people. Maybe it's part of their deal with AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Have you actually ridden the bus lately?

I rode one to commute to a local concert where parking is a hassle/expensive. Did it for several years, but the last few rides put me off from doing that again.

Some of the people who ride the bus really are disgusting, and stink.
    You don't wanna ride the bus. Buses smell like piss, generally. You know why?

People piss on them.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Interesting point that a human driver (as opposed to the backup driver in the Uber car who was probably rubbing one out) might anticipate a lady pushing a bike loaded with shopping bags might do something weird. I'd feel better if the cars were being programmed by some 50 somethings with some years behind the wheel than by what I assume are a bunch of 20 somethings who probably ride bikes to work every day.

You know what the infrastructure in this country is like. And we can't even build a little bridge without it crashing down. What are the chances we will ever be able to afford the utopia of which you speak?
    Well, the money is there... stashed in tax shelters.. Won't be tough to convince the Illumunatti/Bildebergs that building this infrastructure gives the top decision makers 100% control over who goes where and when. Check mate against privacy, and freedom of mobility for the peasants. Welcome to San Angelas..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    You don't wanna ride the bus. Buses smell like piss, generally. You know why?

People piss on them.
    I mentioned this in another thread, but, I'll repeat. You think the bus is bad? (And, really, that's a rube's statement. People don't piss in the fucking bus. People who ride the bus have way more respect for each other than Audi driving white people driving in traffic. They have to. They're forced into dealing with strangers up close.)
    Sheeit. Those little robot boxes are going to become, literally, shitboxes. Just imagine one after Saturday night. Gross.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I thought the essence of freedom was guns?
    Not for me. Maybe for some. Not my place to decide or pass judgement.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Could you guys imagine sitting in a robot driven car in Manhattan traffic?

The human drivers will find a way to cheat.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This thread needs this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Could you guys imagine sitting in a robot driven car in Manhattan traffic?

The human drivers will find a way to cheat.

I don't know, with dozens of sensors and cameras on board as well as tying into traffic cams, I think the fucking robots will be able to fuck the humans over.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Wow, your version of freedom is pathetic.

And for you, very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by that dude who did that thing View Post
    Wow, your version of freedom is pathetic.
    For a guy that flips Honda Pilots thats a very appropriate statement. Lmao.

On second thought Pio.... You definitely need a self driving car.

To all, I'm out. It's been fun. The few of you I've met, you seem like good folks (for the most part). But I hardly ski or bike any more, need to cahnge that and hanging out here won't help make that happen. And the PR is just a shit show. So I wish half of you all the best. The other half, you're fucking assholes, and I can't think of a good reason to be in the same virtual space as you.

Anyone who knows who I am and really wants to get a hold of me, I ain't hard to find. When in doubt: go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I mentioned this in another thread, but, I'll repeat. You think the bus is bad? (And, really, that's a rube's statement. People don't piss in the fucking bus. People who ride the bus have way more respect for each other than Audi driving white people driving in traffic. They have to. They're forced into dealing with strangers up close.)
    Sheeit. Those little robot boxes are going to become, literally, shitboxes. Just imagine one after Saturday night. Gross.
    Actually that was a quote from Super Bad. It’s a movie.

To all, I'm out. It's been fun. The few of you I've met, you seem like good folks (for the most part). But I hardly ski or bike any more, need to cahnge that and hanging out here won't help make that happen. And the PR is just a shit show. So I wish half of you all the best. The other half, you're fucking assholes, and I can't think of a good reason to be in the same virtual space as you.

Anyone who knows who I am and really wants to get a hold of me, I ain't hard to find. When in doubt: go for it.
    I bet he comes back for his hat trick of melt downs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Don't let it knock you on the ass, OK?