Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    i think it high lights that self driving cars are further in the future than is portrayed in the media. Their performance in rain and snow is really bad
    Well, that's surely the case for Uber and Tesla. Waymo is much more advanced. And apparently ready to go. They ordered 20,000 cars that will be autonomous.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

I wonder how many are killed each year in traditional Taxi's wit a driver?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I wonder how many are killed each year in traditional Taxi's wit a driver?
    There's plenty of evidence that cars kill a lot of people.
    The only evidence we have that autonomous cars won't is because the tech gurus tell us so, and they never lie or exaggerate the capabilities of their technology, do they?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Apparently Uber disabled the factory installed emergency braking system...
    That isn't how I'm reading it. Volvo's factory-installed emergency braking system wouldn't even have the facility to take input from Uber's software, and if it did, it wouldn't make sense for Uber to design its software to integrate with a factory-installed braking system that wasn't designed for autonomous driving.

No, my read is that Uber had its own emergency braking software module (which any autonomous driving system obviously ought to include), but they disabled that module "to reduce the potential for erratic vehicle behavior" (translation: it was responding to too many false positives, perhaps suddenly stopping for plastic bags and leaves).

In other words, Uber was testing a system that was missing a key component, which had been turned off because it (or the software calling it) was dangerously unreliable.

Another thing I notice from the report is that even though the system (correctly) called for emergency braking at t-minus-1.3-seconds (which was ignored because emergency braking was turned off), there was no tentative reaction function for slowing the car during the nearly five seconds in between the system detecting something ahead and deciding to call emergency braking. For a human driver (remember, the boulevard was illuminated by street lights), there would have been some kind of "WTF is that up ahead?" reaction, causing some moderate slowing before emergency braking might have become necessary. But there was no call to such a function during five of the six seconds when the ped was detected. Emergency braking was disabled, but a tentative braking system apparently wasn't even designed in.

As for Volvo's stock emergency braking, it makes sense for that to be disabled if they're testing an autonomous driving system that presumably includes emergency braking. Besides which, a stock system intended for background non-autonomous use would likely be too crude to definitively recognize relatively lightweight obstacles, and would be calibrated to only react if there was something big and solid in the way.

One of the big several reasons I quit working for Schneider National was that I sometimes had to drive tractors (Freightliner Cascadias) with automatic emergency braking and more than once they would dynamite the brakes for stuff like deer or a guardrail on an off ramp or a car on the shoulder. It was frightening and I fucking hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    That isn't how I'm reading it. Volvo's factory-installed emergency braking system wouldn't even have the facility to take input from Uber's software, and if it did, it wouldn't make sense for Uber to design its software to integrate with a factory-installed braking system that wasn't designed for autonomous driving.

No, my read is that Uber had its own emergency braking software module (which any autonomous driving system obviously ought to include), but they disabled that module "to reduce the potential for erratic vehicle behavior" (translation: it was responding to too many false positives, perhaps suddenly stopping for plastic bags and leaves).

In other words, Uber was testing a system that was missing a key component, which had been turned off because it (or the software calling it) was dangerously unreliable.

Another thing I notice from the report is that even though the system (correctly) called for emergency braking at t-minus-1.3-seconds (which was ignored because emergency braking was turned off), there was no tentative reaction function for slowing the car during the nearly five seconds in between the system detecting something ahead and deciding to call emergency braking. For a human driver (remember, the boulevard was illuminated by street lights), there would have been some kind of "WTF is that up ahead?" reaction, causing some moderate slowing before emergency braking might have become necessary. But there was no call to such a function during five of the six seconds when the ped was detected. Emergency braking was disabled, but a tentative braking system apparently wasn't even designed in.

As for Volvo's stock emergency braking, it makes sense for that to be disabled if they're testing an autonomous driving system that presumably includes emergency braking. Besides which, a stock system intended for background non-autonomous use would likely be too crude to definitively recognize relatively lightweight obstacles, and would be calibrated to only react if there was something big and solid in the way.
    Makes sense.
    My wife's Forester has automatic emergency braking--first year Subaru had it--we have to park the car in the garage VERY slowly or it triggers. I hope it's gotten better, since I'm planning to buy one this year.

experts say they're not coming any time soon--10 years or more.
    http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...FC68&mode=text

A couple of days ago a car a few ahead of me had a plastic bag blow into the front of it and it stopped so fast it was scary. It caused a 4 car pile up Since the road was blocked none of us could go anywhere so while standing there I heard the driver say they never saw what caused the car to stop itself but the cop still wrote him up for reckless driving and a few other things. I walked up to the front of the car and took the bag that was stuck to the bumper off after taking a few pictures. I emailed the pics to the driver so he had the evidence to give the court when he goes to argue the tickets.

More gloom and doom:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/b...mous-cars.html
    Among other things--with current technology, to make the cars very safe they have to make them very cautious, so that they're braking too often.

Yeah I read that and they finally admitted what I've been saying every time this topic comes around, the hardware problem isn't that hard and can be dealt with effectively now. The software problem is nowhere close.

Like I’ve been saying, I can’t wait for these fucking self driving cars. They’re going to be fucking pussy mobile‘s. Every time I want to go anywhere all I Gotta do is juke left , or right. Those fuckers a be slamming on the brakes and pissing themselves get out of my way. I’ll be able to be fucking king of the hill.

Humanoids rule.......

for now.

Well they have 5 months left, that's only 200,000 a month.

Pump and dump.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Like I’ve been saying, I can’t wait for these fucking self driving cars. They’re going to be fucking pussy mobile‘s. Every time I want to go anywhere all I Gotta do is juke left , or right. Those fuckers a be slamming on the brakes and pissing themselves get out of my way. I’ll be able to be fucking king of the hill.

Humanoids rule.......

for now.
    Robocar brakes to avoid but autosends video to cops, traffic ticket sent to your email. After the third one, AI dispatches a cop to arrest you for reckless driving. You lose your license and have to rent a robocar to get around like the rest of the frangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    "our internally built AI chips are a huge margin faster than Nvidia's" -Elon

"yeah, that's not accurate. Elon's using an old chip to compare and also underrating the performance on the old chip. Our latest chip is around double Tesla's" -Nvidia

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/24/1...nomy-day-specs
    And those are the (used) chips he wants to implant in your brain.

The only way it will work right now is on purpose built restricted roads. Which is stupid and will never happen.

Well maybe if they were on their own rights-of-way, with some sort of a system to keep them from going astray, like steel rails or something.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well maybe if they were on their own rights-of-way, with some sort of a system to keep them from going astray, like steel rails or something.
    well done

Is that Bobby Stainless' Twitter account?

The old people don’t get it, and probably won’t until it’s become painfully obvious. Self driving cars are the future, it’s just a question of when. Hopefully it’s sooner rather than later. As complete adoption in urban areas is the only way we are solving traffic.

As one of the old people of whom you speak I believe I can say that we'd be very happy if SDC's became practical by the time we're too old to drive. As it is we'll just have to rely on Uber, which isn't a great option in Truckee. But at least we have cannabis delivery.

Old people and drunks, and especially old drunks, are all for this.

Little theory of mine: SDC's will reinvigorate the outer suburbs.

a counter force to the rampant urbanism, right at the time millenials are having kids, Assuming it's rolled out in say 2-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    The old people don’t get it, and probably won’t until it’s become painfully obvious. Self driving cars are the future, it’s just a question of when. Hopefully it’s sooner rather than later. As complete adoption in urban areas is the only way we are solving traffic.
    Hoo boy. Where to start...