Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Woman killed by self-driving Uber car

A self-driving Uber car hit and killed a pedestrian Sunday night in Tempe, Arizona, police said, in what appears to be the first case of a pedestrian death caused by an autonomous vehicle.

https://www.google.ca/amp/abcnews.go...%3fid=53853861

It ultimately boils down to whether autonomous vehicles will be causing more problems than human driven ones per capita. Too early to tell right now..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I'm waiting for more information to come out on this. I'm sure there is tons of data that the vehicle has recorded as far as what it saw, how much time it had to stop, was the pedestrian in a crosswalk or jaywalking, etc.

Also, as stated above, how does the frequency of accidents/deaths compare to human drivers? After the last high profile self driving car fatality, I saw a statistic that, per mile driven, collisions and fatalities were far fewer in autonomous vehicles than human driven vehicles.

Vehicles not at fault per preliminary report

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Vehicles not at fault per preliminary report
    That’s what SkyNet wants you to believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    I'm waiting for more information to come out on this. I'm sure there is tons of data that the vehicle has recorded as far as what it saw, how much time it had to stop, was the pedestrian in a crosswalk or jaywalking, etc.

Also, as stated above, how does the frequency of accidents/deaths compare to human drivers? After the last high profile self driving car fatality, I saw a statistic that, per mile driven, collisions and fatalities were far fewer in autonomous vehicles than human driven vehicles.
    Of course the rate is lower than the typical driver texting while eating a chimichanga. But the liability questions are entirely more complicated. And the human that was supposed to take over control obviously didn’t (no surprise there) so this incident casts further doubt on the proto testing scheme itself.

Sacrificed on the altar of "Progress".

Im not sure how both types of vehicles will coexist.

I don't want a self driving car nor am I a fan of any electronic nannies on cars.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Personal injury attorneys will be on this like a pack of wolves on a baby elk.

Human-driven cars killed about 100 people yesterday in the US.

Not nearly as newsworthy.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

You know that armies of attorneys for google, uber et al must be hammering for protection from liability a la the gun manufacturers, "Protection of Lawful Commerce In Liability Act". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protec...ce_in_Arms_Act

Repealing that act wouldn't require touching the Second Amendment btw. And it would shake shit up for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Human-driven cars killed about 100 people yesterday in the US.

Not nearly as newsworthy.
    You're right. And if a meteor landed on someone's head we shouldn't talk about that either, because hey, people die.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Sacrificed on the altar of "Progress".
    And capitalism. Uber owes a lot of people a lot of money. Price of doing business.

There's also the perspective that people need someone human to blame for their own misfortune or any tragedy really. It's way more fulfilling to have another human to blame than a robot drone a hundred layers of other non human systems deep for the death of your friend or family member.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And capitalism. Uber owes a lot of people a lot of money. Price of doing business.
    You better hope they get this shit working soon. When you can longer drive your geriatric self around this will come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You better hope they get this shit working soon. When you can longer drive your geriatric self around this will come in handy.
    Then I'll take the bus. You know, the bus. Ever seen one of them? Been around a while. Much more efficient than some fucking piss filled robot car.

Oh, wait, that's way below the standards of the typical TGR poster. Riding the bus. Ewwww. Other people. They smell.

The utopian vision of this technology is electricity filled highways with autonomous cars and trucks screaming along bumper to bumper at 150 mph or more with zero collisions and every car/bus/truck fully knowing exactly what every move of every other vehicle will be entering or exiting those super highways. You could get in the ride designated for you in San Deigo with your gear bedtime and wake up at Jackson Hole for first chair. Ski the entire day bell to bell Saturday and Sunday, get back in a ride Sunday evening then wake up at your house in time to go to work Monday morning.. All without the hassle of airports, checking your gear. Worrying about the gate attendants giving you shit about your boot bag being two inches too fat to carry on, etc.. I think when it finally works right we'll all welcome it.

I don't see how they overcome basic driving conditions encountered by millions every day. The biggest of which is the weather. Rain or snow, even a dusting, and these things aren't going anywhere. You're little scenario doesn't play out during pow days, aka the time you would do such a trip.

At least not without completely ripping up every road in the country and replacing it.
    Live Free or Die

And seriously who cares if she was jaywalking or not, if that is a good enough reason to absolve liability from the self driving car manufacturer we are all fucked.
    Live Free or Die

Then I'll take the bus. You know, the bus. Ever seen one of them? Been around a while. Much more efficient than some fucking piss filled robot car.

Oh, wait, that's way below the standards of the typical TGR poster. Riding the bus. Ewwww. Other people. They smell.
    I thought I fit the demographic, but I guess I am not the typical TGR poster.

They do smell on one of the buses I take, but not the other (generally speaking).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    The utopian vision of this technology is electricity filled highways with autonomous cars and trucks screaming along bumper to bumper at 150 mph or more with zero collisions and every car/bus/truck fully knowing exactly what every move of every other vehicle will be entering or exiting those super highways. You could get in the ride designated for you in San Deigo with your gear bedtime and wake up at Jackson Hole for first chair. Ski the entire day bell to bell Saturday and Sunday, get back in a ride Sunday evening then wake up at your house in time to go to work Monday morning.. All without the hassle of airports, checking your gear. Worrying about the gate attendants giving you shit about your boot bag being two inches too fat to carry on, etc.. I think when it finally works right we'll all welcome it.

My utopian vision is the Star Trek transporter. But I bet that turns out to be something like The Fly.

My utopian vision is the Star Trek transporter. But I bet that turns out to be something like The Fly.
    And a replicator in every kitchen. For starters, how about a portable microwave that cools things down quickly? Would be great for summer camping trips!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It ultimately boils down to whether autonomous vehicles will be causing more problems than human driven ones per capita. Too early to tell right now..
    That's one take.... probably not what it, "boils down to," though.....

Frequency is a HUGE data point, but so are:
    Liability (owner of car, software developer, infrastructure owner if tied into a system)
    How do systems talk? A lot of this tech will involve group and bulk data

It'll all be interesting.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I had no idea they had buses in Greenwich.

You should give the bus a dry run one day. Get a haircut, go to the grocery store, and dinner at a restaurant, all on a bus. Throw in a dentist appointment for good measure.