Oregon/Washington Trip in June

Hey buddies!

Open for advice and need to know snowlines around the second week of June. We are going to start in Camus, WA to ride the Cold Creek trails, because my sis lives in Camus and can babysit our kids. Should be fine in June. Beyond that, no set plans, but it's a short 4 hour drive to Oakridge. I've ridden there, my wife has not. She may be bored of the smooth trails but I think the scenery will get her. Are the upper trails in Oakridge dry in early June?

We may hit Bend, but I don't know why. We are looking for shuttles so one of us can ride, one can take care of the kids. I don't mind pedaling all day (if I was in fucking shape, that is), but she is not gonna twiddle-dee around by herself unless there is a good shuttle. McKenzie river trail would be good too, mellow but ridiculously scenic so who cares. Anything else within 4-5 hours of Portland or Camus? Leavenworth is in shooting range too, I could do half-shuttles with her there, it's her type of trails, but, man, Oakridge is so easy. Black Rock is a no go, one of us will be in the hospital afterwards.

Might just do Oakridge for a few days and just stick to Hood River and Cold Creek for most of the week and call it good/great. What are we missing though?

The year I did a week long trip to Oregon it was first week of June. There was some snow on the upper part of Alpine Tr and all the other higher up trails in Oakridge were still under snow. There was enough open for a couple good days of riding though. Ashland is just within 5 hrs of Portland - the Super D course is awesome fun and would be ideal for some odd man out laps. It is super buff but drops almost 5,000ft in 12mi. There was snow at the top that year but none on the trail.

North Umpqua Trail is probably the best trail around in terms of scenery, you could take turns riding various segments of it. The Dread & Terror segment is by far the best but also the most work. You'd want to verify trail conditions too as there could be trees down depending what kind of winter they've had, but snow definitely wouldn't be a problem. We lucked out, only had a couple of trees to deal with. There are plenty of waterfalls and other sights to check out with the kids while the other is riding. The Panther segment is another one that stuck out, totally lush with green ferns. It was shorter and not as much steep climbing. The segments either side of it were pretty good too if I recall. This was the brochure we had for our ride info: https://www.blm.gov/or/districts/ros...l-brochure.pdf

I've never ridden in Bend and never thought it looked very interesting. But have heard good things about the Ollalie / O'leary Ridge / Castle Rock loop nearby. It doesn't look terribly high up but downed trees could be an issue - since its a more of a backcountry ride it probably doesn't see much of the usual Bend traffic.

A friend of mine did a bunch of rides up between Leavenworth and Twisp last year, around late June. Looked awesome! If you're in Hood River pony up $1 to cross the bridge and ride Syncline. Really fun place.

I don't know what the season is like for Mt St Helens but I've been itching to ride Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham to Smith Creek. Looks like it the different segments could be done as a shuttle.

Come up to bham and shuttle the Chucks. Also lots of shuttling up North in BC.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Come up to bham and shuttle the Chucks. Also lots of shuttling up North in BC.
    This - Chuckanut will fix you right up.

Important things you may not have thought about: make sure to let your dog out at the top to walk around and poop all over the parking lot (don't pick it up) and drive really fast by everyone riding to the top (extra points on a dusty day), preferably in a really big truck.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post

We may hit Bend, but I don't know why.
    I don't either

Hood river is legit. Thrillium is too. I think that's the same as what everyone calls cold creek. Driving to Bellingham sucks because seattle/tacoma. Best done at 2am. You can at least go up the east side to Leavenworth.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Bend is a must miss. A giant snoozefest.

St Helens/Ape Canyon will likely have snow even to late June.

Other suggestions here are solid

I rode a few sections of the N. Umpqua Trail last fall. The upper (Dread and Terror) and lower sections were open but a few considerable chunks were closed from forest fires in the middle area.

I'd recommend checking out Alsea Falls too if you're passing through the Corvallis area. A good alternative to Black Rock if you're not looking for crazy jumps. Super fun flowy singletrack that you can ride in a morning.

Thanks guys. Looks like I have to do some research on some of these recs. Not looking to drive to Bellingham and such, we want to be 4-5 hours max from Portland roughly, due to two screaming kids in the back. We want to be base-camped in Camus because of babysitter logistics, and do one branch out of there for a few days, and that's it.

I've done Ashland, loved it. I thought for sure it would be snow-covered, I guess I'll call the local shuttle place a week before we leave. That would be prefect for both of us, those shuttles are so quick with a ton of vert and some great riding...thought it was farther from PDX but it's doable.

I wouldn't rule out Black Rock entirely. The "easy" line is plenty fun and doesn't require any air, but does let you play around on some wood bridges and features. It's also not that long of a pedal to take turns, and there's likely gonna be other people around, so not like you would be riding a backcountry trail in the middle of nowhere by yourself.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    I wouldn't rule out Black Rock entirely. The "easy" line is plenty fun and doesn't require any air, but does let you play around on some wood bridges and features. It's also not that long of a pedal to take turns, and there's likely gonna be other people around, so not like you would be riding a backcountry trail in the middle of nowhere by yourself.
    Does that place still have the psychotic property manager on that camp you ride through?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Does that place still have the psychotic property manager on that camp you ride through?
    I've been a couple times, in summer mind you, and no such interactions. Love the place, such fun riding and progression on the trails. Nobody there either time. Awesome cliff jumping in town too.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    If you're in Hood River pony up $1 to cross the bridge and ride Syncline. Really fun place.
    It's $2 now! I swear when we rode in Jan it was a buck (but maybe not, not the most obvervant, especially in the AM before 48oz of coffee) and then boom, it's two bucks next time 'round.

If you're going to be HQ'd out of Camas I'd personally try to NOT spend 4 hours in the car driving each way. I'd hit the Cold Creek/Thrillium trails, and then on a different day head out to the Hood River zone. Usually by that late in the season I avoid the Syncline area (it's on the Washington side a few miles east of Hood River) due to insane amounts of poison oak but it's always an option, and if you stay on Little Moab there is none, but that also limits your range there vs. hitting Maui/Hidden/Shoestring, etc. Instead I'd say hit the Parkdale (just outside of Hood River on the Oregon side headed towards Mt. Hood) area trails - Surveyors Ridge/Dog River/etc. zone and then grab a scenic beer at Solera. Or there's always Post Canyon area.

There's some boondock camping around the area as well that I could guide you to if you're looking for it but sounds like you'll be (smartly) utilizing the babysitters and pretending to be adults again instead.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Not looking to drive to Bellingham and such, we want to be 4-5 hours max from Portland

I've done Ashland, loved it. I thought for sure it would be snow-covered, I guess I'll call the local shuttle place a week before we leave. That would be prefect for both of us, those shuttles are so quick with a ton of vert and some great riding...thought it was farther from PDX but it's doable.
    Ashland is ~60 miles further away from Camas than Bellingham....though typically with less traffic given the fuckery that Tacoma/Seattle portions of I-5 have become
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I've been a couple times, in summer mind you, and no such interactions. Love the place, such fun riding and progression on the trails. Nobody there either time. Awesome cliff jumping in town too.
    I don't doubt they got rid of him. Apparently the cops were getting sick of getting called over absurd things. Be glad you missed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Mt_Dreamin View Post
    Ashland is ~60 miles further away from Camas than Bellingham....
    And about 3 hrs less driving

Ashland is pretty far from portland. And to be honest should be getting a little blown out by June. Everyone jokes that Ashland is actually part of hella norcal and at least as far as the dirt goes......it certainly is. Some fun shuttles but not sure it's worth the haul unless you're really wanting to see the place. If you do, ride timewarp. Anything else just isn't timewarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Mt_Dreamin View Post
    Usually by that late in the season I avoid the Syncline area (it's on the Washington side a few miles east of Hood River) due to insane amounts of poison oak
    Ha, I got one of my worst ever cases of poison oak there...at New year's when it was all covered in snow. We did a lap off the top through an area on the backside was snow covered and more brushy. I had landed in some sort of bush on a crash. It was a day later when I realized what that bush was...F me. Had to blow of the rest of the trip, my arms were itching so bad. Its still a bit mind-boggling, since we have forests of the stuff down here and I never seem to get it....

Its still a bit mind-boggling, since we have forests of the stuff down here and I never seem to get it....
    Once you get scratched, there's no going back. I was the same way, could literally roll around in the stuff with no consequences. Then I cut my arm on some clearing out huge vines of it from a dirtjump spot we were working on. Now I puff up and get itchy like everyone else.

Post Canyon is really good if you know where to go, lookup the Cascadia dirt cup enduro course from last year. Some great mix of trail styles in there from steep tech to flow/berms. Dirt Surfer to Baby head's to Hidden to Whipsnake to Antoine's to Mitchell Ridge is a fun ride. Shuttle it up to Kingsley..... or climb it if your feeling a long day.

Surveyors is good for the views, the riding, meh

Dog River is a fun end of day quick shuttle.. and scare yourself fast but if you like tech there isn't much to it. Kind of the same for Gunsight Butte but super scenic. I did a shuttle drop from Bennett Pass last year and connected Gunsight - Cook's Meadow - Surveyors - Oak Ridge (you will climb a lot on this route but you get a lot of trail for your effort)

Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham is a must do if it's melted out, such a great ride but you miss the whole experience if you just go shuttle Smith Creek or something riding around on the barren areas is pretty cool and looking down Ape Creek is incredible.

Also, another fun fast ripper is Nestor Peak. Not a rock on it though but scare yourself fast and a REALLY easy shuttle near White Salmon.

Ha, I got one of my worst ever cases of poison oak there...at New year's when it was all covered in snow. We did a lap off the top through an area on the backside was snow covered and more brushy. I had landed in some sort of bush on a crash. It was a day later when I realized what that bush was...F me. Had to blow of the rest of the trip, my arms were itching so bad. Its still a bit mind-boggling, since we have forests of the stuff down here and I never seem to get it....
    Before things are bloomed up I treat that place as "if it's a plant it's poison oak", even though in reality probably only....85% of the plants there are poison oak.

I know this might sound lame, but have you been to Tiger Mountain East of Seattle ever/recently. They have built so much trail there over the last handful of years, to ride it all in a day would be heafty. And then there is a big lollypop across the road now at Raging River. You could hit those two spots and then head a bit further east to Roslyn or Leavenworth...