Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I have let myself go the past 3 weeks. I started lifting weights hardcore again (I used to be really into “bodybuilding” from age 13-21) in January, after I left Big Sky, and although I have gotten stronger, I just feel like a 220lb pile of shit. I feel like I have no cardio. The past week, my legs have been so tired, just walking the dog makes them fatigued and weak.

I normally have very efficient ski form, and can go all day without breaks. Lap after lap, I could drive the front of my boots with no issues, driving big skis like there nothing. Now I am skiing backseat, my legs are noodles after 2 laps, my boots suck, and all my charging skis are straight up kicking my ass. Idk what to do, but I am starting to think I need to see a doctor. Idk how lifting weights could do this to me, unless it’s causing “overtraining”, but I have taken like 2 weeks off due to tendonitis in my should so should be rested now. I just feel like all my muscles are tense, won’t relax, and I’m losing all athleticism.

I’m starting to notice the Billy Goats flaws a lot more now, than I was a month ago, when I felt in better shape.
    Your recovery from workouts is adaptable/trainable, and depends on overall stress, sleep, and nutrition. Overtraining is 100% real, but I doubt you could get it by lifting hard for a week after a prolonged rest. Unless it wasn't enough of a rest and you were overtraining before. But after a few weeks off, I can lift hard enough to make myself sore enough that I can't walk for a week. It's pretty hard for me to do that when I'm training daily/regularly.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have let myself go the past 3 weeks. I started lifting weights hardcore again (I used to be really into “bodybuilding” from age 13-21) in January, after I left Big Sky, and although I have gotten stronger, I just feel like a 220lb pile of shit. I feel like I have no cardio. The past week, my legs have been so tired, just walking the dog makes them fatigued and weak.

I normally have very efficient ski form, and can go all day without breaks. Lap after lap, I could drive the front of my boots with no issues, driving big skis like there nothing. Now I am skiing backseat, my legs are noodles after 2 laps, my boots suck, and all my charging skis are straight up kicking my ass. Idk what to do, but I am starting to think I need to see a doctor. Idk how lifting weights could do this to me, unless it’s causing “overtraining”, but I have taken like 2 weeks off due to tendonitis in my should so should be rested now. I just feel like all my muscles are tense, won’t relax, and I’m losing all athleticism.

I’m starting to notice the Billy Goats flaws a lot more now, than I was a month ago, when I felt in better shape.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gimp central, JONG

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Gimp central, JONG
    Hey, I tied it all together with the Billy Goat comment at the end..

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Betelgeuse, are you getting enough sleep? (DST has been rough on me... I find I need at least 8 hours but really 9 to feel fully rested.) Any changes in eating habits(are you getting enough fuel?)(new diet?)(good quality of food? not just cheese burgers and protein shakes?)? Any changes in lifestyle that increase stress? Any changes in alcohol/THC consumption? (Cutting out alcohol 100% from my life in last few months has greatly improved sleep/focus/energy for me, but if your body is used to a certain baseline, drastic changes in mind altering chemicals can cause issues with sleep, etc.)

Also could be because your body is reacting to the fact you didn't come to BBI and now is going in to a state of actute vaginitis.
    I have let it all slip. Been smoking weed a few times a day, drinking a few times a week, eating more crap and less veggies. But I was out of shape in November, had a higher fat percentage than I do now and was drinking almost daily, although smoking less weed. I was ripping around as a fatty.

Hmm. Maybe its the THC??

FS: 191 Billygoats

Hey, I tied it all together with the Billy Goat comment at the end..

I have let it all slip. Been smoking weed a few times a day, drinking a few times a week, eating more crap and less veggies. But I was out of shape in November, had a higher fat percentage than I do now and was drinking almost daily, although smoking less weed. I was ripping around as a fatty.

Hmm. Maybe its the THC??

Sounds like we’re gonna have fun.

Definitely not the THC... say it ain’t so... man I have no idea, other than if you’ve been skiing as much as I would be out there the past few weeks I bet it took a toll. 3 pow days in a row at Squaw and I’m smoked, but I’m a measly Oceanside flatlander these days.

This thread is unraveling. Or maybe spinning up into the Goat Fitness Thread. Whatever.

Even if I was "in shape" I can't see being more than 15lbs lighter, so 2funky's size. He still plows the goat. So I think a stiff 189/191 is the way to go.

Respectfully disagree. "In shape" to me means "able to move quickly and efficiently uphill and downhill in the mountains all day"... not just "pinch an inch or less". At your height I'd aim for like 180. I should be like 190+ but my dadbod has gone skinny without time to lift.

Lifting weights is great in moderation, but you're fucked if that's the only workout mode. AeverJuice, is this your jam?

If you're not running or cycling a few times a week, then you're getting too heavy to move your shit around efficiently. Don't see many big guys in the deep hills for this reason.

Sorry if that sounds like preachy bullshit. No offense intended. It's way easier to carry less weight! And your Goats will work way better.

Or just buy more skis. And beer and steaks and gasoline.

And weed

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    This thread is unraveling. Or maybe spinning up into the Goat Fitness Thread. Whatever.

Respectfully disagree. "In shape" to me means "able to move quickly and efficiently uphill and downhill in the mountains all day"... not just "pinch an inch or less". At your height I'd aim for like 180. I should be like 190+ but my dadbod has gone skinny without time to lift.

Lifting weights is great in moderation, but you're fucked if that's the only workout mode. AeverJuice, is this your jam?

If you're not running or cycling a few times a week, then you're getting too heavy to move your shit around efficiently. Don't see many big guys in the deep hills for this reason.

Sorry if that sounds like preachy bullshit. No offense intended. It's way easier to carry less weight! And your Goats will work way better.

Or just buy more skis.
    I'm 197lbs at the moment, was blimped out to 215 but a steady diet of backyard hikes (3 ridge hikes last week!), elimination of alcohol (particularly beer) and more careful eating has trimmed the blubber. Now that I'm a little lighter some running will be mixed in (running at over 200 is murder on my knees.) When I was on FS trail crew (and arguably in my fittest shape) I was 180 - 185 and could hike around all day with a large pack and chainsaw. That's what hoping to get back to. Some lifting but more focus on bodyweight movements, higher reps and varied cardio.

Sorry for messing this thread up. You guys started talking about being out of shape, and I just folded. If I were to post in gimp central, none you guys would have answered.. and you guys are the people I actually want answers from. Fellow Goathusiasts.

This is something I need to figure out for myself. I have skied almost 50 days this year, I thought that help me get in shape, but I guess I need to run more. Cardio always makes me feel better.

I’m also pushing 220 right now. Fairly low body fat, but 220 is 220 nonetheless. 220 is not a good skiing weight.

Natural evolution- guts and weed!

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Natural evolution- guts and weed!
    Goats and weed

Glad your coming out in April. Hopefully I am better by then.

Sorry for messing this thread up. You guys started talking about being out of shape, and I just folded. If I were to post in gimp central, none you guys would have answered.. and you guys are the people I actually want answers from. Fellow Goathusiasts.

This is something I need to figure out for myself.

Dude, the best gear swap threads are like free form jazz. My thread, my rules. You absolutely can discuss fitness, as long as we get to ridicule and poke fun between the helpful comments.

I think also a dry spell without goats (on other, more traditional skis) can throw off the goat-chi. I would suggest never un-goating unless the snow is bulletproof.

I should have went to BBi... my fucken priorities are not in line lately

This is something I need to figure out for myself.

Everyone is different. When you figure out why you feel tired, you'll do what it takes to make the necessary changes. If not, you'll continue as current. As Norse stated, cardio is important. You'll figure it out. With and without us.

Start a thread about ski fitness. You will be surprised who chimes in. I know I will. I love working out.

Goats and weed

Glad your coming out in April. Hopefully I am better by then.

Thanks! Hopefully is right- let’s do it. Seriously take care, you know I know them injuries suck.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I love working out.
    NW_skier is so ripped and vascular, his entire body looks like dick skin. Veiny and muscular. It's embarrassing to share a hot tub with him, as I look like a pudgy tub of hairy lard.

That's basically the goal of working out. To have arms that look like giant throbbing dicks. The ladies love it.

I would suggest never un-goating unless the snow is bulletproof.
    Ah, so that's my problem. I ain't skied the Goats once in the last two years.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Ah, so that's my problem. I ain't skied the Goats once in the last two years.
    sounds like you TOTALLY need that back up pair then. Glad you're hoarding them instead of helping a pudgy brother out.

NW_skier is so ripped and vascular, his entire body looks like dick skin. Veiny and muscular. It's embarrassing to share a hot tub with him, as I look like a pudgy tub of hairy lard.

That's basically the goal of working out. To have arms that look like giant throbbing dicks. The ladies love it.
    Awesome! I laughed pretty hard.

sounds like you TOTALLY need that back up pair then. Glad you're hoarding them instead of helping a pudgy brother out.
    I'm playing the long game -- planning to ski both pair into the ground when I finish with school. Besides, the 191 BG got axed when we were super broke and couldn't really afford a backup pair...but jesski still regrets not having backup pair of the a 2010 Volkl Aura so she said I should go for it.

But if my mounted pair was in WA, I'd let you ski them for a day or two.

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I'm playing the long game -- I'm planning to ski both pair into the ground when I finish with school.
    I think the next phase should be to convince Iggy to make a 189 BG with metal layup like the new Wrens.... NW schmoo destroying missiles.

I think the next phase should be to convince Iggy to make a 189 BG with metal layup like the new Wrens.... NW schmoo destroying missiles.
    I don't think you'll need to convince him. 😎

I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I don't think you'll need to convince him. ��
    wait wut? what's the scoop?

be still my heart.

No scoop. Be patient and hope the process plays out.

Lol

Can’t wait to use this and be super cool IRL