Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cincinnati to Acadia National Park where should I stop along the way?

The GF and myself are planning a road trip somewhere around the mid September time fram for 8-12 days total. I really don’t care to stop in Ohio because well it is Ohio. I would like to wonder around Acadia for 3 or 4 days and would like to avoid big cities for the most part. Give me some ideas or events we should hit. I may stop one night in Portland to visit a cousin but I could skip that with out a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftyt View Post
    The GF and myself are planning a road trip somewhere around the mid September time fram for 8-12 days total. I really don’t care to stop in Ohio because well it is Ohio. I would like to wonder around Acadia for 3 or 4 days and would like to avoid big cities for the most part. Give me some ideas or events we should hit. I may stop one night in Portland to visit a cousin but I could skip that with out a problem.
    bringing mountain bikes?

She wouldn't be but I plan on one day of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

16 hours driving each way = about 4 days total. 4 days in Acadia and you are almost out of time if you only go for 8 days. Which way are you going? I-90 or I-80 to 95 or 84?

If you add some days consider at least taking a route through northern New England one way to get off the Interstates. From Albany you can head up the Northway to Glens Falls and come across Vermont on Route 4 past Killington, Woodstock, and up I-91 to enter into NH at Wells River. Go across NH on 302 and into Maine from there. Lots of cool towns and trailheads to stop at along that route.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ee-suggestions

I have no plans on my route but it will not be all interstate driving that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    16 hours driving each way = about 4 days total. 4 days in Acadia and you are almost out of time if you only go for 8 days. Which way are you going? I-90 or I-80 to 95 or 84?

If you add some days consider at least taking a route through northern New England one way to get off the Interstates. From Albany you can head up the Northway to Glens Falls and come across Vermont on Route 4 past Killington, Woodstock, and up I-91 to enter into NH at Wells River. Go across NH on 302 and into Maine from there. Lots of cool towns and trailheads to stop at along that route.
    Work the Kancamagus highway into that somehow.

Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse!
    Definitely the one in Syracuse. The Dinos in Rochester and Troy are way too fancy.

If you decide to stop in the ‘cuse PM me...I’ll host you for a Mtn bike ride and Dino.

here is what I would do

rt 87 to rt 88 to albany area, saratoga springs, lake george, from there lake placid and burlington if you really want to, burlington is nice
    from there I'd head to the white mountains, conway, take the back roads over to route one, after a couple hours on rt one you'll want to poke your eyes out but it is fun
    bath, camden, rockland, stop in all the quaint maine towns along the water, then your at arcadia, make your hotel reservations now, the place is a zoo

On the way home I'd just get on 95, stop in portland its a cool place, over priced, spent many nights getting stupid there when I used to party, J's oyster is a must
    Stay in at least one beach town on the way home old orchard beach or hampton beach are my favorites
    Portsmouth is another nice little town, worth a stop, kittery trading post is always fun too

I'll be camping in Acadia 9/21 for 4 nights. If you've never been i can give some ideas where to camp. Spots fill fast but you're going after Labor Day which is key. Enjoy the trip!

We plan on truck camping as much as possible for this trip so camp ground info would be sweet. We may spend a couple nights in a place but we have no real plans at all. Just go with the weather and sunshine if possible.

We plan on truck camping as much as possible for this trip so camp ground info would be sweet. We may spend a couple nights in a place but we have no real plans at all. Just go with the weather and sunshine if possible.
    Thats one helluva ambitious drive for 8 days. I suggest 12, minimum. Do the Giant Circle Route.

Cinci-to Buff
    Buff to Watertown, NY
    Just power through that first leg as quickly as you can.

Over to Placid
    On to Burlington or some sechsy small VT town.
    Kingdom Trails in VT can set you up with a nice day of biking.
    Stay North to Mt. Washington. If you're up that way, should stop and check it out. Maybe be a tourist and do the grueling drive up it. Or just stop at Mt. Washington Hotel and have a coffee/cocktail on the back veranda while looking at one of the coldest places on earth (in January)
    Previously referenced Kancamagus is up by Mt. Washington.
    DO go Climbing while in Acadia. If you have a few extra sheckles, pay for a guide (look on groupon/living social for a possible deal) and climb Otter Cliffs or whatever the guide suggests that over-looks the ocean.
    Portland is worth the stop, for sure!
    Then Back down 95.
    Since you're out that way, do hit a sea-side town on your way home....maybe somewhere like Newport so you don't get too far off-track of the interstates. I suggest doing I84-81-80. If you don't need NYC, avoid that I95 Nonsense.
    When you get back south....go across the top of PA (I-80). It is a much prettier drive (and cheaper) than I 76.

Happy Travels
    neednsnow.com

Chasin Snow whenever time allows.

My plan the trip is to leave work around noon pick up the GF and drive straight to somewhere like Watertown or Albany NY. The driving is nota issue for me the GF well we will find out. I hoped to head to Vermont and or New Hampshire from there. Stop for a cool little day hike somewhere and get back on the road and find a place to crash in the back of the truck. From there maybe a stop along the way somewhere then head to Acadia or something cool in that general direction. I plan on making it a 12 day trip but the GF doesn’t do as well as I do at hoarding her PTO days. Either way it should be a pretty interesting little adventure to go on. I plan on hitting the sea cliffs for a climb with a guide or a local maggot hopefully. I have climbed the RRG but I have never lead just chased my brother up 20-40 routes and cleaned gear. Any way you look at it the trip will be way better than hiking around the Cincy area!
    Anymore info would be greatly appreciated! Keep it coming!

So we have set some mild frame work of plans down for the trip. I picked up a Sprinter pretty reasonable and am converting it into a RV

September 4th drive till I drop hopefully near Glen Falls NY crash in a parking lot some where in the van.

September 5th Drive towards Middlebury/ Bristol VT and stay at the Green Mountain Family Campgrounds for the night and take in some local sites and attractions maybe a little mountain biking.

September 6-7th head to the Franconia Notch area and find a camp ground to stay in and do some hiking and some mountain biking if I can sneak off. Looking for input on hikes and campgrounds with electric if possible but not required.

September 8th head towards Belfast/Camden/Rockport stay somewhere pretty nice for her birthday and find a decent restaurant?

September 9th-12th Acadia what shouldn’t I miss? My buddy from Montana swears the Travelin Lobster is the shit! AKA Soup Nazi

September 13th-15th is a blank slate all I want to do is be in western NY or PA to sleep for the 15th. I would like to stop off at Cuyahoga Falls on the way home on the 16th so I need a few hours for that but it can totally be bypassed.

Do you have any suggestions? Brewery’s places to eat, short hikes, mountain bike trails, must sees on the way home or to Acadia? I am pretty flexible the only must is Kancamagus Highway and Willard Mt for her so far.

What do you have for me? uglymoney and others have already gave me some good info just looking for more if possible.

As for day 4-5, I’d recommend staying closer to Saratoga. Much nicer town than GF. Then go across route 4. MTB ride at Green Mountain Trails and camp at either Gifford Woods or Silver Lake (both state parks).

Sound like a great trip. I’d love to meet up but I’ll be on CO that weekend.

Restaurants:
    Camden > 40 Paper, Long Grain, Waterfront
    Rockland > Archers
    Rockport > Nina June, 18 Central
    Belfast > 3 Tides, Chase's Daily
    Southwest Harbor > XYZ is a badass farmers fare mexican place, call for a reservation
    Bar Harbor > Havana, Cafe This Way, Lompoc, Blaze, Mache Bistro, Thirsty Whale for pub fare/locals

If you find yourself wandering through Damariscotta area looking for a lobster shack go to Muscongus Bay Lobster Co. in Round Pond, BYOB.

Other than that, hike, bike and drive around. Schoodic Peninsula is pretty sweet, it's part of Acadia park but on the other side of Frenchman's Bay.

I would skip Albany/Glens Falls area and cut a crossed the southern ADKs. In Utica cut up route 12 until you hit route 8 and take that through speculator. From there you can take it all the way to I-87. That part of the ADK is full of free camping and cool waterfalls and is mostly skipped by tourists. Camp at Auger Falls just east of speculator or anywhere along the east branch of the Sacandaga. This won't even add much time to the drive.

Stop in the finger lakes in western NYS. Views are legit, there are some good parks for camping and riding and the wine is much better than it gets credit for. I can get your specific recs, but they're right off 90. Canandaigua and Keuka are the ones.

September 5 if you want to, you can camp in my driveway in Warren. If you have 15' of hose you can dump black tank in on mountain sewer main and fill water tank from my tap. Grill some food, eat out and/or I'll do a late afternoon, early evening MTB ride if you want. Or if your hot on the Bristol campground you should get a res. at The Bobcat Cafe now and ask for the window seat. Not much riding nearby, Bristol Cliffs for attractions.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Oh and if you stop in Portland you can van camp on the eastern prom, park near the tennis courts and walk into town.

Welcome to park in my driveway near the beach in South Portland

Lots of interesting and good stuff I will digest it and figure out a plan. Any other info guys?