Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pickleball

I tried watching pickleball on TV the other night and I couldn't. The rythm are as fucking weird. It messed with my head. And that plastic noise. I'm fine watching tennis or table tennis. Pickleball was too much.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I tried watching pickleball on TV the other night and I couldn't. The rythm are as fucking weird. It messed with my head. And that plastic noise. I'm fine watching tennis or table tennis. Pickleball was too much.
    I get what you're saying with the rhythm changes and the plastic ball.

Pickleball and paintball are two activities that are so much fun to play, but the spectator factor just isn't the same when watching.

What about doubles Pickleball where one player has a racquet and the other has a paintball gun.

We got a pickleball problem in town. A bunch of Beemer driving middle aged pickleball thugs have taken over the town basketball court at prime time. Local FB page is lit up with replies when the kids were told by a member of the gang to "Take a hike, we were here first". I was at the court last night and the gang had set up the net across mid court and was just leaving. Little green bags filled with dog poop left behind by dog owners are easy to find here but. I went into an outlaw biker bar after midnight once and one of them bought me a beer. Maybe I should go over on my eBike with my paddle and try to get in a game first to connect.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

I developed tendonitis in my elbow playing pickleball recently. I enjoy the game thoroughly, and the opportunity to refine my left-handed whacking off technique (as a result of the tendonitis and a 40 year marriage) is awfully nice, because after 40 years of marriage, my preference is for my own hand.

I feel the pickle pain.
    It’s from whacking

Try stroking more

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Adirondack View Post
    I developed tendonitis in my elbow playing pickleball recently. I enjoy the game thoroughly, and the opportunity to refine my left-handed whacking off technique (as a result of the tendonitis and a 40 year marriage) is awfully nice, because after 40 years of marriage, my preference is for my own hand.
    Brutal.

Mom is super into pickle ball. She comes out here to CO to visit and shows up at the local court and get in playing with the local club. Next thing you know she's going out to happy hours with the gang and is in with the whole social scene making friends. That's pretty awesome in and of itself.

I'm actually a little bummed winter is coming now that I've discovered Pickleball. I know I can play indoors but it'd be a big shift from randomly showing up to the mass gatherings of ~40 ppl and just playing pick up matches for a few hours at the local spot

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Saw that this morning and we were laughing out asses off.

That was awesome.

Thx

Its no suprise to me that they call a rally

Dinking
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Wife got us pickleball paddles for Xmas and we went out and tried it for the first time today. My initial impression is that it's more like ping pong where you're standing on the table than tennis. It seems fun, though. Now I suppose I'll need to go through a period of getting destroyed by octogenarians before I'm competent at the game, but that's okay.

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Wife got us pickleball paddles for Xmas and we went out and tried it for the first time today. My initial impression is that it's more like ping pong where you're standing on the table than tennis. It seems fun, though. Now I suppose I'll need to go through a period of getting destroyed by octogenarians before I'm competent at the game, but that's okay.
    Singles is a ball buster

Doubles is fun. Yes. Ping pong. On the table.

Wife failed to show the other day so we played Australian. But that sucks. In tennis you lose the alley when solo. In pickle you are stuck with the whole court. So my kid had the bright idea that the solo player had no kitchen rules. It was fun that way. Ymmv

Whats no kitchen rules?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Whats no kitchen rules?
    The area near the net is called the non-volley zone, but commonly called the "kitchen." You can only step into that area to play a ball that has bounced, otherwise you need to stay out of that area. I suppose no kitchen means just that: you are allowed to hit volleys right at the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Singles is a ball buster

Doubles is fun. Yes. Ping pong. On the table.

Wife failed to show the other day so we played Australian. But that sucks. In tennis you lose the alley when solo. In pickle you are stuck with the whole court. So my kid had the bright idea that the solo player had no kitchen rules. It was fun that way. Ymmv
    We play “skinny singles” where you have to serve/return only diagonally. Kitchen rules apply. It forces good shot placement. When we play with 3, the single gets that advantage and the team can only return back to the service box while the single can play to the entire other court.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    We play “skinny singles” where you have to serve/return only diagonally. Kitchen rules apply. It forces good shot placement. When we play with 3, the single gets that advantage and the team can only return back to the service box while the single can play to the entire other court.
    I like that better. Thx. The No kitchen leads to a lot of smash volleys that are death shots. But we had fun.

I was pretty bummed after the Australian Open results.

Then I saw this, and wanted to kill myself...

Name:  Rog Padel.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  61.5 KB

I guess the only consolation is it ain't actually pickleball.

https://simplepadel.com/pickleball-v...el-differences

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Now I suppose I'll need to go through a period of getting destroyed by octogenarians before I'm competent at the game, but that's okay.
    It's basically a rite of passage.

There's an 80+ yr old tiny Korean lady that puts the smack down on intermediates at my local courts

Pickleball injuries could cost America up to $400 MILLION a year as insurance companies see surge in hip replacements, knee surgeries and other elective procedures
    UnitedHealth say there has been a higher-than-expected frequency of hip replacements, knee surgeries, and other elective procedures
    Investment bank UBS say the rise in surgeries is due to more people getting injured while playing pickleball - the fastest-growing sport in the U.S.
    UBS estimates pickleball-related injuries could result in costs ranging from $250 million to $500 million in 2023

i’m looking forward to the next indoor soccer wave

Like in dorm hallways?!?!?

I'M IN!!!!