Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pickleball

Heh...nice.
    I played with the high end players this weekend, it gets crazy there at the net with a bunch of youngsters slamming it around. Might wear a cup next time.

well, I guess the honeymoon is over. Now I just want a good game all the time, and it's impossible with all the geriatrics involved....plus about a million of said geriatrics have now returned from Florida. I can't imagine the shitshow Florida must be with all these people coming and going. Anyway, it's become a sort of critical mass of assholes and elbows baby boomer country club social hour clusterfuckery and nearly impossible to enjoy.
    I see all the points in the above thread, I see them. Probably time to get a tennis racket and play with some people under the age of 80.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    well, I guess the honeymoon is over. Now I just want a good game all the time, and it's impossible with all the geriatrics involved....plus about a million of said geriatrics have now returned from Florida. I can't imagine the shitshow Florida must be with all these people coming and going. Anyway, it's become a sort of critical mass of assholes and elbows baby boomer country club social hour clusterfuckery and nearly impossible to enjoy.
    I see all the points in the above thread, I see them. Probably time to get a tennis racket and play with some people under the age of 80.
    yetiman. . .

it's time to go surfin'

From ' the west end ' : ) tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

It's all ice here still. We had a brief moment where some water opened up and we had amazing waves that cleaned up through the ice, but that was good for about 5 waves for me and that's my entire spring season total. We're now in the season where we have nothing until August except a few rare small days here and there. All the spring storms blew into ice here. no waves

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    After 4pm the courts should clear up a bit from the geri's.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    old farts take over the basketball court from 9-10:30 and if anyone tries to dribble or shoot at a corner hoop, the grannies go ballistic, demanding one gets off their court. ballers
    Fuck, the YMCAs around here have been overrun with pickleballers. The retired crowd dominates 2 gyms while 30 kids aged 8-18 are jammed into half a gym.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TGR Forums mobile app

Apparently the sport was invented in Washington and I'd never heard of it until moving here. Can't say I hear much about it now, either, but sounds like it's gaining in popularity.

^^ pretty sure i’ve either read/seen or been told it’s being pushed out into a lot of parks in the area as well. interesting revival. been getting back into tennis lately, that shit is fun!

The wife and I went to the Y at the urging of friends to try pickleball. I live in a college town and we were at the older end of the spectrum given all the 20-somethings. that was good. The boomers were definitely running the show and the Gen Z crowd was willing to set up nets, etc. The crew was very inviting and it was easy to pick up for tennis and pingpong players like my wife and I. Scoring is a little weird. I'll go back.

I'd still rather play hide the pickle, though.

I used to play a lot of paddle tennis, which is sort of like pickle ball and squash combined. I will wait until I am 65 to start playing pickle ball. It is going crazy here in PC. Lots of old people hooting and hollering.
    To me, not as good as tennis, badminton, squash or even paddleball. Very social. OK to play stoned
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

It's too noisy. The rules are goofy. Tennis kicks ass. I may play p ball again when I'm in my 80's, Not before!

As an ex-tennis player, decent ping ponger, and someone who’s too broken down from decades of skiing, pickle ball is the best. There’s no way I can take the beating of competitive tennis anymore, and this is a great replacement.

I’ve only played a couple of times, but I’m hooked.

I was flying into Ft Meyers, FL awhile back, and they had the pickle ball world championship or something happening there, and I looked at the players on the plane and I figure I am still at least as good of athletes as they are. So maybe this is my chance!

US national champion is an Oregonian; he is a pro at a pickle ball club
    [heard him interviewed last month on OPB]

Oh wow. Maybe it’s gotten a lot more intense if they have whole clubs dedicated to it

Pickleball is about to become the official sport of Washington state

Pickleball to soon be the official state sport of Washington

We have an association here in W2 and recently funded new courts because demand is so high.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    he is a pro at a pickle ball club
    Oh.
    My.
    Gawd.

The apacolypse is now.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Oh.
    My.
    Gawd.

The apacolypse is now.
    for clarity, it's a traditional golf/tennis/pool club that added pickleball, not an exclusive pickleball club
    but, yeah, he's the pro there
    https://www.illahehills.com/Amenitie...g_Professional

Pickleball

Ehh - I guess I’ll try it sometime since several friends are in to it.

But I had the misfortune of flipping to some pro or national championship tournament on TV a little while back - what a freaking yawn-fest at the competitive level !!

Typical of a bunch of not super great athletes ruining the appeal of a game (yes game not sport) that should be played for enjoyment with some friends and a cocktail in hand by trying to make it hyper competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Ehh - I guess I’ll try it sometime since several friends are in to it.

But I had the misfortune of flipping to some pro or national championship tournament on TV a little while back - what a freaking yawn-fest at the competitive level !!

Typical of a bunch of not super great athletes ruining the appeal of a game (yes game not sport) that should be played for enjoyment with some friends and a cocktail in hand by trying to make it hyper competitive.
    Badminton?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Badminton?
    Cornhole.

Pickleball

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Cornhole.
    Poopenhausen

Oooops, sorry. I thought this was the Friday Word Game thread. My bad.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Cornhole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Poopenhausen

Oooops, sorry. I thought this was the Friday Word Game thread. My bad.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Heh. It was beanbag growing up.

When I first heard cornhole I chuckled.

But pickle ball is good fun

1. No restringing rackets

2. No buying fresh balls.

3. No running if playing doubles.

4. Can play with beer in hand. Try that with tennis.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    4. Can play with beer in hand. Try that with tennis.
    We used to have a neighborhood tennis tourney where you had to play with a beer in your hand; some extrapilation between how much beer was in the can at the end of a game and the score won. Bonus points for a beer and cigarette (it was a long time ago).

So team MT we played with 3 on the team (4 was the limit on one side of the net at a time). We all charged the net at the same time chanting "WAR, WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR" and declared a walk-off home run. I can't remember if it was respected but we were late for the cul-de-sac kickball game.
    Last edited by Marshall Tucker; 03-12-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    "Can't you see..."