Beta on Zillertal

Heyo Euro friends and well travelled other mags.

As part of a little Euro jaunt I'll be based out of Hart ins Zillertal for 3 days April 4 - 6. I did find this:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ight=zillertal

Looks like it's good info but it's 12 years old and was hoping for some current info given the amount of snow this year. And, any other additional info anyone could supply. Was planning to ski Hintertux one day, that's about all I've decided on. Where/what's good off piste? Favorite hidden gem, watering hole, restaurant?

Thanks, eh!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

https://www.hochfuegenski.com/en/

hochfugen is a small satellite village at the start of the zillertal valley , great free ride zone , great access to the whole ski area

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewt...lertal#3199346

also good info here

I shall go to Hochfugen! Wow, it looks massive and big vert too. Very stoked, thank you scblurit.

Your username is challenging to pronounce but unique! All the best man!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

I did not ski Hochfügen a lot but I liked the runs from "8er Alm" or "Pfaffenbühel" down to the sled-slope. Was a very short and obvious side step / hike to get in there if remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I did not ski Hochfügen a lot but I liked the runs from "8er Alm" or "Pfaffenbühel" down to the sled-slope. Was a very short and obvious side step / hike to get in there if remember correctly.
    Cool! Apparently I'm staying minutes from the lifts there so it should work out perfectly. Thanks for the info LeoK!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Cool! Apparently I'm staying minutes from the lifts there so it should work out perfectly. Thanks for the info LeoK!
    awesome valley, use the high elevation to your advantage when it warms up. Gerlos is a tip, reminds me of Alta

Make sure you go to Hintertux on a nice day. No trees up there. You can easily have a great day up there.

Some fun terrain under the big Mayrhofen tram at the highest point of the ski area. Northfacing (Edit:its more east and northeast) as well. Probably tracked out as it is right under the tram.
    The tux pendelbahn Wanglspitz.

I was there 15 years ago...

Edit and by fun I mean this
    https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanglspitze

Edit: fuck this app...

Here a link when it was really fat. Might be for board members only.
    https://www.freeskiers.net/community...en-Erfahrungen

Edit: and this is how we do it in Europe. We build trams on top of the mountain.
    Last edited by subtle plague; 03-21-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Skied Hintertux many moons ago, I was digging the little huts where you could get food and rum tea
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

There is plenty of snow. It's a big valley full of ski resorts, they are all fine. If Hochfügen is close there is no reason not to pick that one, it is has a lot of nice terrain but also a fair amount of people in that terrain on good days. Hochfügen is connected by lifts to Kaltenbach or you can go up Spieljoch and take a short bus ride. You don't have to drive up to the HF parking lot if you don't want to. Hintertux is highest but you'll typically find something to do in April at most of the others too.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

m4f574 Guest
    You can ask for advice on Snowheads, a UK ski forum - a few of the members live in the Zillertal area. There are also trip reports to Hochfugen (including mine if you search the Snowheads forum). Great place.

Thanks so much mags! Got great info and stoked to use it! Thanks for the info on snowheads guys. Don't need their help this time but nice to know there's another spot for euro hills. TGR rules though... 😁

Quote Originally Posted by m4f574 View Post
    You can ask for advice on Snowheads, a UK ski forum - a few of the members live in the Zillertal area. There are also trip reports to Hochfugen (including mine if you search the Snowheads forum). Great place.
    Asking for skiing info in a UK forum is like getting alpine weather info from a Dutch website. It just ain't right.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.