Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Where do the Steeple 112 and 116 fit on the BG awesomeness scale?
    I can't comment on the old 112 or the new 116, or even really where the current Steeple 108 (RIP) fits on the B.G.A.S., but I can say that the 108s have been pegging the needle for me as an all around touring ski. My limited time on BGs suggest that the 108 isn't far off the mark in pow performance, performs better on hardpack, doesn't crush inbounds crud quite as well and destroys 3D variable junk in the same smooth, un-hooky, couldn't give two shits sort of way. My initial concerns with the touring layup were based on old comments that I read on this forum and were largely based on earlier Steeple 102 and 112 reviews. As others have suggested, the current tour layup feels like a really nice balance between dampness and pop that works great in the back country and holds up surprisingly well inbounds. The limiting factors in high speed chop for me are my skiing ability (don't have Hoji-like balance) and current touring boot (Maestrale RS 1.0). The faster I go the more likely I am to be thrown off balance and the more likely it will be that the boot folds forward/doesn't have the cuff height/rear support to get me back forward as quickly as I'd like. I don't think the skis have played much of a roll in achieving a speed limit in chop, which is pretty impressive given that I am comparing them to other skis in my quiver which are recognized crud/chop performers (OG Cochise 185 & 190 Bibby Pro).

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I really like the Steeple 112. They are definitely softer/lighter feeling than BGs, but still could be used for resort...
    Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I have skied the 112 for 2 runs. Hated that ski inbounds...
    Interesting to hear such different opinions on the Steeple 112... Did ON3P change the core or something else (other than 4mm width) between the 112 and 116, or between different versions of the 112?

I asked about the Steeples seeking validation on the 112s I picked up this season, but have not been able to ski due to lack of snow followed by injury. I guess I really need to ski them myself.

BG's, why all the love?

Tour core isnt going to charge through chunkier or harder stuff like the standard layup will. You have to go into it knowing that. They definitely require a lighter touch and more finesse, not unlike a lot of popular resort skis (K2 and Rossi). I liked the steeples though. I could see mounting them with shift bindings, but also using them as a fun soft snow resort ski.

Steeples are more playful than standard BG’s. They were still as stable as shreditor 112s or rossi super 7s though. I could rally with them in anything smooth, even firm, and they worked like a dream in the soft stuff. I was lighter and in better shape last time I skied steeples though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

BG'S, WHY ALL THE LOVE?

Well, my wife has them and she loves them. She could bring it in all conditions and be happy.
    Powder - check
    Groomers - check
    Wet mank - check
    $5 scarcified wind blown pre-season rockfest - check
    Wing night - check
    Sunday afternoon on a powder day with re--frozen trenches - check

Just easy to turn, easy to manage nasty conditions, easy to get flotation, and also has enough backbone to rail groomers and chunk.
    Although, last season we only got out on groomer days and she preferred the 2014 Blizzard Bonafide's for those days.

I'm def jealous though, cause she got a Billy Goat veneer model and they are smoking hot.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Billy Goats are my favorite skis (and I know very little about rens) but I kind of think that they’re overkill for japan. They’re especially awesome for heavy pow and skied out resort pow. Neither of which is obviously the norm in Japan. Also, most of the terrain in Hokkaido is kinda small for them.

You wouldn’t have a bad time at all on goats in Japan but I’d prefer skiing something lighter there.
    Agree ^^^. The BG is great in skied out and heavy pow because although it pivots really easy (pintail), it also has a lot of backbone. It just doesn't get thrown about and it is damp. Damp is good.

I have the Vicik. Kinda wish I'd gotten the BG because the Vicik doesn't turn as easily. But the Vicik is very stable, it almost revels in skied-out-powder more than in the fresh powder. Just drop into the nastiest skied-out crapfest and the Vicik makes it all easy. Now they don't sell the Vicik anymore. I guess the Wrenegade is the closest thing now. If they had a 106 BG, I'd be all over buying it in a heartbeat. I've already got a fat ski, but a mid-fat that is BG-like would fit in the quiver somewhere. Skis 100mm and wider are just too wide for me now. I love my Origin 96, except it don't have beef, enough width, enough backbone, or pivot *that* easily. That's why I'd pop for a 106 BG. One more CM undefoot, better pivot, some beef, ON3P quality
    = sold. The problem with buying ON3P skis is that they are such good quality and when you get one ... it will never wear out. So get the veneers. One ski you can buy and ride for the next 10 years ... or until you fall victim to more marketing-wank. And they look good.

They do need to make a 106 mm, slightly lighter version, nothing lighter than 1850 grams, and call it the Backcountry Goat. Put a picture of a horned goat impaling some other goat in the arse (you know, that other fuckers goat). I think that would be the ultimate PNW do-it-all side-country sender.

edit: Maybe I'm describing the Woodsman 108. I don't know. I just know that the BG is a bit too wide for me. So maybe if it was 1/2 cm narrower and correspondingly lighter. 111mm instead of 116mm. Or something like that.
    Last edited by puregravity; 11-12-2019 at 03:50 AM.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

BGs make your balls or ovaries swell with super powers.
    watch out for snakes

They gonna make my balls even bigger? Fuck, I can barely walk with the freaking huge ass cojones I have on me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    ass cojones
    those are called hemorrhoids.

lol
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    I've got the billy goats in stock form right before the asym version. they crush most everything but I do not like firm groom on em like I like some other 115-120 waist skis. I guess that aspect may have been improved.

I took em up cat skiing at Baldface in primo conditions and they had some other DPS spoon stuff to try out. I am good/prefer the BGs in primo conditions personally than stuff that tries real hard to be a powder ski or always stay on top of the snow.

Now that I've said I really like em in deep light stuff, here's some old helmet cam stuff in some conditions they really excel at.

just quoting this so more people see klauss' rad video from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    just quoting this so more people see klauss' rad video from last year.
    Thanks for bumping. I needed that.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Floating the goat but I wanted to know if he hit the chute. Damn have to wait for next installment.

It’s the goat and it does a lot of things very well. In 4 feet of 4% blower I will grab protest, kusala or toons.

But otherwise you rock the goat

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)