Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Fff, I am getting so sick of thinking about how to use plural and singular wording for skis. I always use “it”, “them”, “they”, etc.. what is the correct terminology?? Talk about the skis in plural, or speak of the design as singular? BG, or BG’s?
    Are you a monoskier? Or do you use two skis?

Also I think the accepted tgr wording is 'skies'

Its definitely not "BG's" unless you're talking about the BG's bindings and implying possession..

BGs maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    I am sure it has been beaten to death in other threads, but I dont feel like wading through hundreds of pages to find it and this seems to be the place to ask:

Can anyone provide a direct comparison bewteen the 182 GPO and 184 BG?

I am torn between the two for my next in-bounds EC powder ski.
    Let's add the 182 Quixote into this comparo.. anyone with time on all 3 able to give an impression?

Its definitely not "BG's" unless you're talking about the BG's bindings and implying possession..

BGs maybe.
    Attachment 228968

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Haha, next custom topsheet option right there

Paging Undertow!

Let's add the 182 Quixote into this comparo.. anyone with time on all 3 able to give an impression?
    Also throw the Kartel 116 in there as well. It’s a little less directional, but doesnt seem like some jib noodle

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nobody cares about the Renegades anymore eh?. I’ll keep chiming, they don’t call me selfish Jupiter for nothing.

Renegade's are a ski I've wanted to ride on for a while but I'm not going to go out and buy a pair because my fat ski quiver is pretty dialed at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Nobody cares about the Renegades anymore eh?. I’ll keep chiming, they don’t call me selfish Jupiter for nothing.
    The reports of tip diving have always worried me.

Maybe I just need a pair of OG pontoons.

BG's, why all the love?

I know Undertow loves them as much as I do. he has the keys for total comparison of all skis discussed, haha.

They do have tip dive at slower speeds and it can be occasionally unavoidable in flatter terrain. That’s what sux about them, for sure.

What rules about them? They are so-Fucking-Fast. It took me a couple years to man up and use them back east more often and I’m all about them again- they get going fast so fast that they plane up and just ski frictionless in powder. Enough pitch, let them run and go from there. They do not ski slow well at all. Plane up and they ski with any turn shape and are lightning quick from a centered stance. Had a blast on them at little Pico mountain last week, albeit a banner week in Southern/Central VT. But I obviously bought them for out west.

Get in the steeps and ski them any way you want with no tip dive- my buddy who is a former mogul competitor in the 90s with excellent but traditional technique loves them in powder, although he skis the 186 but daily drives Stockli stormrider pro back circa they were beasts. Squaw.

They are Not outstanding in crud compared to my 193 EHP and 194 Devastator and surely when compared to Beegees, but not too bad either. and they destroy soft chop- bounce around at Mach 11, skis pretty much like untracked.

My first dedicated pow ski was a 186 EHP so I think I’m just used to that style, even tho the ski was polar opposite to my DD at the time (Stockli).

I love my BGs in deep and weird snow, but this season has been all about the 194 Devs. Is there a better all around ski? At this time, I think not. They just do so much so well, from carve to slarve to straighline. The only condition they don't do well is ice, but neither do other comparable skis. There is some tip dive in pow, but mounting back a cm or two would probably solve that at some compromise in slarvability.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    I love my BGs in deep and weird snow, but this season has been all about the 194 Devs. Is there a better all around ski? At this time, I think not. They just do so much so well, from carve to slarve to straighline. The only condition they don't do well is ice, but neither do other comparable skis. There is some tip dive in pow, but mounting back a cm or two would probably solve that at some compromise in slarvability.
    I’m -.75-1cmish on my 194s and I found no compromise in slarve, but they can still take boot pressure and carve. Really impressed with float but I’ve only skied them in dense pow.

Not a ski that gets talked about a ton on here deez days, but I f-ing love them. So versatile!

They aren’t even that bad on ‘edge-able’ icier conditions. Glare ice and you’re fucked.

I’ll throw my 2 cents in, disclaimer I only got 1 run on the bgs at jhmr yesterday so im sure I could have gotten used to them.

About me: 5’5 ish, 130 pounds, like to ski long skis fairly close to center, skied the 184 bg at recommended and then moved the demo bindings a notch forward half way through the run to try it out.

Current daily driver: 191 enforcer 110

Bg was surprisingly stable through variable and soft shallow moguls that were inbounds yesterday, definitely more damp and controlled than my enforcers, I think this is mostly due to tip weight, nordica cut down the swing weight on the enforcer and it makes them suffer pretty badly in variable snow.

Bg spun just fine on the few hits i got, didn’t really notice a difference in swing weight, possibly because they were shorter but also heavier.

Bg skis groomers horribly, not sure if the tune was off or not used to asym sidecut, or maybe the enforces are just really good on groomers.

Didn’t get a chance to ski them in pow or tight trees but the seem quick enough to handle the trees and at 116 they’re not gonna sink in pow at my weight.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post

Bg skis groomers horribly, not sure if the tune was off or not used to asym sidecut, or maybe the enforces are just really good on groomers.
    They take a different technique to ski groomers than a traditional sidecut ski like the enforcer. While certainly not being a groomer ski, I never felt them unmanageable on the groom. But it's clearly not their element, nor is it intended.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    They take a different technique to ski groomers than a traditional sidecut ski like the enforcer. While certainly not being a groomer ski, I never felt them unmanageable on the groom. But it's clearly not their element, nor is it intended.
    Yup, I mentioned this in the main ON3P thread. Powtron clued me into this during a recent demo. On hard snow, stay more centered and the inside ski in the turn doesn't wander.

One benefit of this is when skiing dust over crust. I find the balance point over your skis in soft and hard snow is similar so when you break through into the scratchy stuff, you're much more in balance.

Skis keep getting better ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

As i mentioned, i only got 1 run on them by no means a comprehensive review. Im sure if I owned them it could be figured out.

Seems like it would be an awesome resort soft day ski, probably one of the best I’ve skied for those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    As i mentioned, i only got 1 run on them by no means a comprehensive review. Im sure if I owned them it could be figured out.

Seems like it would be an awesome resort soft day ski, probably one of the best I’ve skied for those conditions.
    Parallel conversation going on in the Quixote thread. My guess is that the folks who bonded most quickly with asym. skis tend to ski with a modern/centered stance, and those of us who are used to pushing the front of our boots went through a bit of a learning curve.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Some of the skis I've ended up liking the most have had a pretty steep learning curve. None more so than the Renegade, which I kind of hated the first run I took on it. Which is why it's nice that Blister reviewers have many days on a ski before writing a review.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Some of the skis I've ended up liking the most have had a pretty steep learning curve. None more so than the Renegade, which I kind of hated the first run I took on it. Which is why it's nice that Blister reviewers have many days on a ski before writing a review.
    Are you and I the only (slightly vocal) renegade proponents left on here? I love that ski. has a learning curve to truly dial it in but once ya do I just love them. But all the bugs around here have me convinced I gotta try a BG/ Protest.

Are you and I the only (slightly vocal) renegade proponents left on here? I love that ski. has a learning curve to truly dial it in but once ya do I just love them. But all the bugs around here have me convinced I gotta try a BG/ Protest.
    Ha, I sold my Rens in favor of the BG a number of years ago. Rens were 2nd best of all the pow skis I've tried, but my stiff BGs just kill it.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I did not get along with my Protests. Not sure why, they may have been too stiff for their intended purpose as a pow ski, but I found them really harsh and unforgiving in crud and bumps, even with soft snow on top. With a softer flex, they may have been more enjoyable, but at this point, I don't see myself owning anything over 116 underfoot. Just not enough days/hours where I can justify that kind of width, and old knees don't take kindly to wide skis on hard pack.

This thread drives me nuts. I have five seasons on my Renegade, can't imagine something better or faster in the forests of Japan (90% fresh lines.) The way you guys talk about BG's kills me.

^^ have you skied both?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    This thread drives me nuts. I have five seasons on my Renegade, can't imagine something better or faster in the forests of Japan (90% fresh lines.) The way you guys talk about BG's kills me.
    Never skied Japan. There the pow is deep and near perfect. I ski the PNW. The pow is deep and far from perfect. BG was designed for where I ski by guys who ski the same terrain and locations. Ski your Rens. I bet they are sweet in the JaPowder.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...