Question for certified bootfitters,..

The tape-distance diagonally about my ankle is less than my mondo size, but my forefoot is VERY wide weighted, and though my instep is medium-low, specifically my navicular, cuneiforms, etc, can get sore.

Overall question to you: (obviously you can’t see my foot), but basically if you had a human foot version of a duck (ya know; Donald Duck, the Aflac Duck, or the Duck at your local pond), what type, brand, etc shell do you START with, and what—if any—aftermarket liner do you START with.

In other words, the approach when the aft-foot needs (for instance) a size 25, but the forefoot needs a size 27 or 28...???

And you can be honest.., is there a foot shape coupled with lower-leg length that you basically know is unfittable?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I stayed in a holiday inn 3 years ago
    Does that help?

Ps, wtf is a diagonal foot measurement?
    . . .

I have roughly the same anatomy as you, and I've already been through 3 pairs of boots in 2 seasons. My bootfitter is probably hating the sight of me in the shop. And cursing their fit guarantee. I can tell you what DOESN'T work:

1) trying to cram my foot into the smaller size based on the diagonal instep measurement. Ouch! Nothing but pain and bone spurs and foot injuries for a season. Going with the larger mondo size has been a revelation this season. Wow, getting circulation back in my foot means no more cold toes. Amazing how that works.

2) Langes. Ouch.

What's working ok enough for me currently: Salomon XMax sized to my measured mondo size (no downsizing) and zipfits. Even still, I've been back to the shop for a couple sessions of baking the shells to expand out the forefoot - especially around the styloid process and metheads.

At another shop while travelling this season, I've tried on fischer RC Pros and those have been the most comfortable shells in the forefoot for me without any modifications at all. I think i want to get a pair for my next boots. Too bad my local shop doesn't carry fischers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

what didnt work with the salomon x-pros? They work for my super wide feet after I baked the shells, but are also high volume in the ankle/instep. The 130 feels stiffer to me than my old lange rs 130 wides as well, but I wish they were even stiffer flexing

Are you trying to say that you have wide feet and narrow ankles?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

What do you mean by "certified?" I have some pieces of paper from Masterfit University, but most of the best bootfitters I know have built their knowledge with years of experience. Most of those people would advise you to shoot for the best fit you can get around the ankle and heel and find someone you trust to make the forefoot wider. I don't know what you mean by wide, but my feet are around 110-111mm wide across the metatarsals and I typically ski in 97mm and 98mm boots with a lot of punching.

I suspect the next step would be to find a better boot fitter in the shop you where bought the boots.

If they are that bad that they screwed up two pairs of boots, then step two is to find a better shop.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    ...shoot for the best fit you can get around the ankle and heel and find someone you trust to make the forefoot wider. I don't know what you mean by wide, but my feet are around 110-111mm wide across the metatarsals and I typically ski in 97mm and 98mm boots with a lot of punching.
    +1 for me.

I have crazy duck feet. Many bootfitters have turned me away. I have a mid-narrow heel and a 127mm wide forefoot in a size 29.5.
    I've definitely had the most success with fitters who went with the approach above.

Find a better bootfitter. It matters.

FWIW I'm currently in an XT Freetour 130 LV (97mm) punched to shit and it's the best fit & best skiing boot I've ever had, by far. And Barry at skiconnexions.ca in whistler is rad.

Name:  ShrekFoot.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  28.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    +1 for me.

I have crazy duck feet. Many bootfitters have turned me away. I have a mid-narrow heel and a 127mm wide forefoot in a size 29.5.
    I've definitely had the most success with fitters who went with the approach above.

FWIW I'm currently in an XT Freetour 130 LV (97mm) punched to shit and it's the best fit & best skiing boot I've ever had, by far. And Barry at skiconnexions.ca in whistler is rad.

Agree Rad work!

WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    What do you mean by "certified?" I have some pieces of paper from Masterfit University, but most of the best bootfitters I know have built their knowledge with years of experience. Most of those people would advise you to shoot for the best fit you can get around the ankle and heel and find someone you trust to make the forefoot wider. I don't know what you mean by wide, but my feet are around 110-111mm wide across the metatarsals and I typically ski in 97mm and 98mm boots with a lot of punching.
    Alright bro; 111 mm wide foot, he’ll yeah that’s me too. (My “size” is 26.5 mondo).

Nice to hear someone else is as wide as me in the feet.

Well, looking back, the only bootfitter who got it “right” for me was a top-100 type in Breck. I saw him semi off-season (late LATE spring trip to A-Bay), so he spent more time with me... but the dude got it right; sure, I needed a small pinch in the 5th met head when back home but holy crap did that guy know what he was doing fir me from just observing my feet/legs and getting a feel for my skiing style/level after talking for an hour.

Also, gotta say; it’s not everyday (where I’m from) that you can stand on the Vacuum launch-pad with a Heineken in hand! Kinda speaks to the lawless, wild. Wild-west for an EST-person like me

+1 for me.

Jeebus.

That's HOF/GOAT level work.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

+1 for me.

Your bootfitter is a winner
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.