Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with moving from Northeast to Alaska. Best options?

Asking for a friend....moving from New England to Alaska, mostly house hold stuff and a car, 10 year old Subie (with good miles). Would a container be best? get it to a port, pick up in AK, truck it to destination? Moving company? Not your typical route? Rent a trailer for trip (or buy a good snowmobile trailer and sell it when they get there) ...but what to pull it with? We are lost for ideas. When I moved west, I did the math, it is tea worth less than $1.00/lb sell or get rid of it and buy when I got there. I am sure AK is $3-4/lb in that thought process but there has to be a minimum cost involved.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I have no idea on the cost compared to other options, but renting a box truck and a trailer to tow the Suby would probably be a better option than renting/buying a trailer and tow vehicle.

Tell him to bring a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Depends on how much she weighs though.

I can't see how it makes financial sense to ship a 10 year old Subie. Drive it there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Maybe he wants to away from one.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

These folks are older and cannot make the drive themselves. I am also thinking it would be better to sell the Subie and replace it up there.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I think I would point them towards Florida and wish them well.

I think I would point them towards Florida and wish them well.
    Not their style. The ski their age in days every year...in the 70's. He hang glided into his 60's. They have family in AK and that is the plan.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Why not send a loaded ABF trailer and hire someone to drive the car to Seattle then ferry up from there ?

If it was me and my wife I’d sell everything I couldn’t fit in the subie, a roof box and whatever small trailer I could tow behind the car. Sell the trailer when I get there and re-purchase furniture. Especially if this is a downsizing sort of move.

Cars are going to be way more expensive and worse quality up there. Expecting to get a similar car for similar money won’t work out most likely.

if you can't - not don't want to - drive to alaska why are you living in alaska? all kinds of services, none of them cheap.

i wouldn't try to repurchase hardgoods - be it a car or furniture - in Alaska unless you have dirtcheap shipping from the lower 48 available

Where in Alaska? Assuming road system or southeast?

IME it's cheaper to buy stuff up there than move it from the lower 48. Sentimental items excepted of course, and vehicles - it's cheaper to buy vehicles down below and drive them up.

I drove a box van load up back in the day, and except for the sentimental stuff, that was a waste.

Maine has all the woods and mountains and coastline anybody could ever need and also access to shit like good hospitals and services and highways that old people need, if they're that against being warm.

Moving to Alaska at ~75 is not a well-considered move. If they wanted to move to Alaska they should have done it 20 years ago.

Sometimes the motherfucking ship has fucking sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    These folks are older and cannot make the drive themselves. I am also thinking it would be better to sell the Subie and replace it up there.
    How is it that "they can't make the drive themselves..." ????

The Alcan is 100 percent pavement. It is a modern highway. If these people are that feeble they need to be in a nursing home.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    what’d the pugski dentistry group recommend?
    For certain reasons, I couldn't ask over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Why not send a loaded ABF trailer and hire someone to drive the car to Seattle then ferry up from there ?
    At that point, why not just ship it from Boston and not bother driving it cross country?
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    if you can't - not don't want to - drive to alaska why are you living in alaska? all kinds of services, none of them cheap.
    As I said in an earlier post, there are 4 generations of family they want to be with.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Well then it's an awesome idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what you want to hear, right?

Actually, I think what he wanted to hear was some ideas of how best to make this move.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

How handy are they with a roll of Tyvek and a staple gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Actually, I think what he wanted to hear was some ideas of how best to make this move.
    well then give him some.

I'm trying to give him a reality check because he's gonig to be talking to these people. You do whatever the fuck you think is wise.

A friend just did this. He bought a new car trailer and will resell it for the same price or higher in AK.

As someone else said, cars are more expensive and worse quality up there.

Nothing here will be cheap. I also say sell anything you don't need and re purchase. Ship the car if it's a real need. Otherwise I got nothing.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Depends on how much she weighs though.
    Yeah, it’s cold up there and they need extra padding. I recommend contacting digitaldeath, he’s got the low down on the plus size group
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

While I would like to make the drive to AK at some point, I know I wouldn't want to do it for 4500 miles from the Northeast in a box truck pulling a car, not sure I'd wish that upon anyone. Still the question is, how to get their stuff there.
    Click. Point. Chute.