Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I feel like it would be just as economical to sell most of what you can't fit in your luggage and just buy shit when you get where you're going.
    Why deal with the hassle of moving all your shit 4500 miles? Why start a new life with your old shit?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Have they been to Alaska before? Are they in the same tax bracket as Drew and Bobby? Alaska over the last 15 years has become sort of retirement community for the aged with financial means and security because of low or non existent taxes compared to other states. Anchorage and some other communities give a bit of a break to seniors on their property taxes on their primary home. This may change in the near future as Alaska's politicians are struggling to figure out how to manage their spending habits due to dwindling Oil revenues and federal largess. Alaska also has a huge unfunded pension liability, and this will soon bite the entire state in the ass! Currently, where this balance potentially shifts is the cost of healthcare! Alaska has some of the highest healthcare costs in the world, and few private medical practices except medicare.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    Have they been to Alaska before? Are they in the same tax bracket as Drew and Bobby? Alaska over the last 15 years has become sort of retirement community for the aged with financial means and security because of low or non existent taxes compared to other states. Anchorage and some other communities give a bit of a break to seniors on their property taxes on their primary home. This may change in the near future as Alaska's politicians are struggling to figure out how to manage their spending habits due to dwindling Oil revenues and federal largess. Alaska also has a huge unfunded pension liability, and this will soon bite the entire state in the ass! Currently, where this balance potentially shifts is the cost of healthcare! Alaska has some of the highest healthcare costs in the world, and few private medical practices except medicare.
    They have been to AK numerous times, like I said, they have three generations (daughter & husband/grand daughter & husband/great grand daugter) waiting for them there. They will be building a house (one floor ranch) on family property.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    They have been to AK numerous times, like I said, they have three generations (daughter & husband/grand daughter & husband/great grand daugter) waiting for them there. They will be building a house (one floor ranch) on family property.
    Are any of them dentists?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Are any of them dentists?
    Sadly no, I have to pay full price for dental work.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I once helped a friend drive a 26 ft box rental stuffed to the gills, towing an autohauler/jeep from Louisville to Anchorage. It took 5 days, 850 gallons fuel, and 3 tires. Kansas sucked balls.
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    Kansas sucked balls.
    It still does.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

NYC to denver in a box truck wrecked my back for a few days, I can't imagine doing it at 70. My gut says ship a container and buy a ticket on JetBlue.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Between the cost and the hassle to get your stuff up there added to what you'll pocket form selling stuff here I would just get rid of everything and take a month or more to drive up there and see all sorts of stuff that they may never get to again. When they get there they can replace/rebuild everything.

Have they checked into shipping their stuff. It has been 14 years but I shipped up some furniture. I do not remember it being that expensive or I would not of done it. Seemed it went to some place first where they gathered a whole van than shipped up. They should ask a moving company in AK for advice. The car is a take or leave option. My opinion is it is a great drive once you are out of America. If they can not appreciate the drive they should probably consider moving to a different place and let the family visit them. This advice is from an old person going the other way.
    off your knees Louie

Where you moving to BFD?

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Have they checked into shipping their stuff. It has been 14 years but I shipped up some furniture. I do not remember it being that expensive or I would not of done it. Seemed it went to some place first where they gathered a whole van than shipped up. They should ask a moving company in AK for advice. The car is a take or leave option. My opinion is it is a great drive once you are out of America. If they can not appreciate the drive they should probably consider moving to a different place and let the family visit them. This advice is from an old person going the other way.
    Unfortunately, there will only be one driver so driving, as magnificent could be, is not an option. The travel for the family to the lower 48...can be done by some, but not all. Lynden looks like they specialize in the process, will talk to this company once we get closer...and open to other options. Container trucked from New England to Seattle then boated up, then trucked an hour or so north from Anchorage. I am hoping they can do a 27' container.
    Click. Point. Chute.

sounds like land of Palin. check these people also they have been in business awhile probably use Lynden but may be cheaper http://www.valleymovingandstorage.com
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Where you moving to BFD?

I have a place in SW Colorado. I do Oct to March there than back to AK. Am back to AK now and the weather sucks so not getting out. It is a lot easier to stay in shape when you can get out and recreate everyday. My stays in CO will be getting longer. In my opinion if you are elderly and active AK is not the direction for most.
    off your knees Louie

This fkn thread...

Are these old folks Travellers or gypsies or some other tribe of Pikeys wanna live in Sutton, or Willow in the -45f below?

My guess is that shipping to Seattle and then using either Lynden or AML (Alaska Marine Lines) is going to be the most economical method of moving stuff that won't fit in your car.

Personally, I would pack the shit out of the car (tow nothing), ship some boxes via USPS, and sell the rest.

In my opinion if you are elderly and active AK is not the direction for most.
    I strongly share that opinion, but people gonna do what they're gonna do.

Smart move for the old folks. I say do whatever is easiest. In the end being in AK and having built in family caregivers down the road will always be cheaper than long term care, nursing homes, and private caregivers. Good for them for planning ahead.

Sell everything and fly out, hire some college kid to drive the subie and fly them home.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Unfortunately, there will only be one driver so driving, as magnificent could be, is not an option. The travel for the family to the lower 48...can be done by some, but not all.
    So like I said take a month or more. Don't drive more than a few hours a day, see stuff, see lots of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So like I said take a month or more. Don't drive more than a few hours a day, see stuff, see lots of stuff.
    Maybe mix in some naps.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Maybe mix in some naps.
    preferably not while driving
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

In my opinion if you are elderly and active AK is not the direction for most.
    They're going to move into that school bus that McCandless located.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

we did a bike tour up the panhadle (not recommended due to weather) stayed at a camp ground with only ONE unoccupied camp site on PWI so I asked WTF ?

Buddy said the same group of old fishing farts used to drive their rigs up from the lower 48 to go fishn at this exact same resort every year and drive back at the end of the season. Then some one asked how much to rent by the year, before ya know it everyone was renting their spot by the year because between the fuel/wear n tear/ferry cost it was so much cheaper to just leave the rig up there and drive a car back to the lower 48 SO the campsite was completely rented out to people paying by the year, which was also way easier to run but they kept ONE camp site and the cabins

bike touring in france was cheaper, better weatehr and the food was way better ... go figure
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Isn't DD looking to get up to the Chugach? If they can get their stuff to MN, perhaps he'd drive the old folk up there in their Subaru?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Tell ya what,

Fly me and the fam. down to this North East place.

Hand over some $ for gas etc.

I'll meet em in AK, in the Subie and they can fly us home.

... Let's go kids it's road trip time