Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Holy Shit!

So i'm assuming the best practice in this case is to jump the f*ck off. It certainly was for those folks. Question for lift mechanic types, lifties and others in the know, when the sh*t what hits the fan (of a roll back persuasion), just jump?

I watch that video and i imagine having to grab my daughter and jump with her in my arms. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Oh I think I’d stain my undies, then sell em to ichybrowneye.
    Then he'd be itchybrowneyes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    So i'm assuming the best practice in this case is to jump the f*ck off. It certainly was for those folks. Question for lift mechanic types, lifties and others in the know, when the sh*t what hits the fan (of a roll back persuasion), just jump?
    I can't come up with any other reasonable thing to do, especially after watching those folks that whipped around the bullwheel. Try to time it for a short fall, but don't overthink it.

Maybe "Help me Mr. Wizard!" will get you "Drizzle drazzle drozzle drome, time for this one to come home."

i'm torn about the proper course of action if i'm with the boy. i outweigh him by 140 pounds and am strapped to a snowboard. it's unlikely i would be able to control my own fall and just as likely land on him or have the snowboard break him or cut him. i don't see how the snowboard isn't a major issue at some point. even if i only had time to undo the binding so it was just hanging by the leash, that would be better than having it strapped on but i think he stands a better chance of lesser injury if he's not near me, which means i have to either drop him first or jump together and push him away at the last moment, which seems unlikely.

As has been mentioned on this board before, the lift infrastructure in North America is aging. With the exception of the big mega resorts, seems like many of us are riding older lifts. Our chair up here was installed in 1980 or so. And realistically, there is zero hope of getting a new chair any time soon. They have been doing major upgrades over the last few years and they are redoing the electrical system this summer but i know from talking to some folks that there was a pretty extensive period of neglect in the past 15 years.

Here's another question for those in the know. In B.C. anyway, i know that chairlifts have to undergo a 'stress test' of some sort every year. And i believe this has to be done under the supervision of a government inspector. Am i right about this? And are these tests even worth anything? I can't help but think of Crystal Mountain down south and the accident they had. Has that place ever opened up again? Anyone know anything about the testing or inspection protocol of lifts in B.C. or their neck of the woods for that matter.

i was on shooting star many times on really windy storm days when they would stop it frequently. sometimes it would start to creep a little backward and i'd always scope my zone. that was just from watching the old video of the test years ago. the new one is the nightmare come to life. the other thread that is getting in my head is the collisions thread. we skied once during the week instead of any weekend whenever possible before he was born. now we can't. the holiday season this year really brought it home. missiles everywhere. drunk stoned asshole missiles.

We're all gonna die!

you thinking about avy that took out a chairline?
    I think he means the Crystal Mountain near Kelowna, BC.

Crystal near Kelowna where they had 4 chairs (i think) just drop off the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i was on shooting star many times on really windy storm days when they would stop it frequently. sometimes it would start to creep a little backward and i'd always scope my zone. that was just from watching the old video of the test years ago. the new one is the nightmare come to life. the other thread that is getting in my head is the collisions thread. we skied once during the week instead of any weekend whenever possible before he was born. now we can't. the holiday season this year really brought it home. missiles everywhere. drunk stoned asshole missiles.
    That little bit of backward creep you feel on a stop, especially if it's an E brake stop, is just haul rope stretch.

With HS lifts nowadays, a reverse function is more common. For me to consider ever jumping, that chair is going to have to pick up speed past normal line speed.

In NA, the lift inspections are for real and very thorough.

oh yeah i would not bail if i wasnt clearly heading for disaster. but the video of the load test made me think

I would think you could just throw your kid, and jump off after. Kids are super plyable. they will do way better than you would... physically any way. I am sure the psychological trauma of Dad throwing her off the lift, and all the strangers blood would probably sour he on skiing.

Or maybe just start wearing airbags inbounds? I would feel marginally better about bailing from height if my PAS airbag was deployed.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    That little bit of backward creep you feel on a stop, especially if it's an E brake stop, is just haul rope stretch.

With HS lifts nowadays, a reverse function is more common. For me to consider ever jumping, that chair is going to have to pick up speed past normal line speed.
    We were discussing this at work yesterday.

High Speed detachables are designed to run in reverse. There is usually signage at the top and bottom warning that the lift may do so.

Most areas have a policy that if the lift must be run in reverse a patroller or other staff member will ski the line and let people know prior to that action. That said, because of some crazy circumstance it may not always happen.

In NA, the lift inspections are for real and very thorough.
    That depends. In Montana the Tramway Board was eliminated as a part of deregulation. Now all ski areas perform self inspections and a Licensed Engineer signs off on them. If a lift undergoes a major modification or a rope splice it must be load tested. I feel that the bigger areas do a pretty thorough job, the smaller areas may get a bit more sketchy.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

A bit closer to home...

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

A bit closer to home...

https://youtu.be/Jys_iGDpfw8
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

so a northern southern resort
    Bachelor had a chair fall off the haul line not long ago.
    timberline had a chair fall off magic mile a year or two ago. nobody on it or below.

Riding the lift is like flying in an airplane. Waaaaay more likely to be injured or killed on the way to the activity.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Riding the lift is like flying in an airplane. Waaaaay more likely to be injured or killed on the way to the activity.
    Cold comfort if you are on an airplane that crashes or a chair that de-ropes..
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Bachelor had a chair fall off the haul line not long ago.
    I was there that day and riding the lift when it happened. I think the lift stopped, but not for that long. We didn't see the chair come off the cable, but saw it laying in the snow below us as we went over it. Not something you see every day.

Not a rollback, and a long time ago:

Teller lift bullwheel failure - 2 dead 49 injured Keystone 1985

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/key...ago-this-week/

I believe the CEO is still on the run
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Not a rollback, and a long time ago:

Teller lift bullwheel failure - 2 dead 49 injured Keystone 1985

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/key...ago-this-week/

I believe the CEO is still on the run
    Are you referring to Yan? His lifts/designs killed a lot of people (relatively speaking).

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Are you referring to Yan? His lifts/designs killed a lot of people (relatively speaking).
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I have always thought about jumping off the lift when it was stopped if i wasn’t high. I’ve never even thought about a high speed reversal. I bet the safety gets 10x harder to get up going backwards.

Btw: ski conditions in the video looked amazing.