Fox Float DPS Performance - good/bad?

I'm shopping for a new rear shock for my old Ibis Ripley-
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...x1-75-(184x44)

And I found this online, from Europe, new for about $210 shipped:
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...84x44mm-695058

From what I can tell online, a Fox DPS Performance lacks the 3-position compression damping adjustment of a DPS Factory, and lacks the kashima coating, but otherwise is the same shock. I don't think I want an Evol canister on the Ripley.

Buy or pass?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Just put the fox factory DPS with a evol canister on my original Ripley this week. Have not had a chance to take it for a spin yet but feels pretty good in the shop. You will need some fox adapters for the top and remove the lower plastic bushings to replace the shock though. Check the Ibis Web site store for parts. Looking forward to it. I am a big boy at 220 Lbs. Maybe I will take for a spin this weekend and report back. Though Powder is calling so could be longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmurfer View Post
    Just put the fox factory DPS with a evol canister on my original Ripley this week. Have not had a chance to take it for a spin yet but feels pretty good in the shop. You will need some fox adapters for the top and remove the lower plastic bushings to replace the shock though. Check the Ibis Web site store for parts. Looking forward to it. I am a big boy at 220 Lbs. Maybe I will take for a spin this weekend and report back. Though Powder is calling so could be longer.
    Thanks - what PSI did you end up having to use? From what I was reading online, sounds like the Evol shock requires high PSI unless you're really light (like 150#, which I am not). Why did you decide to go with the Evol vs standard shock?

I'm leery of using a very high PSI air shock based on my long-ago experience with a Fox DHX Air that required something like 220 psi to get the correct sag, and it never felt right when riding...
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have a DPS factory (not performance) on my Tallboy 1. I bought it used and had it tuned after the original performance was poor. It came back feeling great - much better than the RP23 that it replaced making the bike feel much more confident on the down and much more efficient climbing.

I'm 6' and about 195. I think I run mine (no evol) at about 180 or 185 psi and no complaints. Would highly recommend and would highly recommend getting it tuned. That made a huge difference for me.

The only thing I would change is that I asked for a really firm climb mode and pretty open descend mode. The trail mode is almost indistinguishable from descend. I have considered having it tuned once more to provide a firmer trail mode.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I emailed ibis asked for recommendations. This what they came back with and said I should add a reducer. I have not done that yet going to try it without it first. Air pressure is about 220# to set the right amount of sage. We will see. I, like the whole bay area will be heading to Tahoe for the weekend, some way?. Rose looked pretty fun today from the cam.

Thanks for the info. Decisions, decisions...

Fox makes an Fox performance DPS Evol with the 3 position valve for the ripley. I have that shock on my 2017 non-LS version. Never been on the Factory version so idea how it compares. My ripley manual says to call fox for a specific version...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8186.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	228691

Quote Originally Posted by reynolds.trailrun View Post
    Fox makes an Fox performance DPS Evol with the 3 position valve for the ripley. I have that shock on my 2017 non-LS version. Never been on the Factory version so idea how it compares. My ripley manual says to call fox for a specific version...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8186.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	228691
    Thanks for the info. I'm trying to do a little upgrade for not a ton of money, so I imagine that buying the Ripley specific shock direct from Fox is going to be $$$.

My Ripley LS came shipped with a Factory DPS Evol. I like it, especially the softness off the top and the adjustments are reasonably effective. It sits a bit low in the travel for my liking even at high PSI (215-220psi at 195-200 riding weight) so I've got some tokens coming this week to experiment with.

I took the bike for a spin this weekend, so very uninformed initial review. 24 miles, fire road climb, downhill and uphill single track, nice mix, moderately rocky in spots, nothing too rowdy. classic xcountry ride. I would say my impression is much like grabtindy. Handles small bumps very well, feels very smooth,, nice adjustments but does sit a little low in its travel, going try reducers but its a keeper, a worthy upgrade for the my older steed. Wish I had known about the special tune from FOX probably would have gone that way but as it is, this is a pretty nice shock.

I'm leaning towards this one now, based on the uniformly-positive comments I've found online on using the Evol canister on the Ripley:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...84x44mm-695748

Per Fox's online code explainer, that shock has this tune:

Evol LV: Evol canister, large volume eyelet
    0.4 Spacer: volume spacer -- easily removed if I don't like how it ramps up
    RM: rebound medium
    CL+: compression light (light plus?)
    Climb F: climb firm

This is close-ish to what Ibis recommends for a Ripley in their manual:

Evol SV: Evol canister, standard volume eyelet (not "large volume" as on that online shock)
    No air volume spacer
    Medium rebound
    Light compression (not "light plus" as on that online shock)
    Firm climb

The biggest difference I see is the standard volume eyelet vs the large volume eyelet. Anyone think this'll make much difference? For the relatively cheap price of that online shock, I think I'll take the chance. Everything else on the valving looks the same or very close (compression, rebound, climb).

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    My Ripley LS came shipped with a Factory DPS Evol. I like it, especially the softness off the top and the adjustments are reasonably effective. It sits a bit low in the travel for my liking even at high PSI (215-220psi at 195-200 riding weight) so I've got some tokens coming this week to experiment with.
    Vanlife will have you dropping a few LBs soon enough.....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.