Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DMSO

DMSO

anyone have any experience with this here. I have been using it on an acute quadricep tendinitis, and getting good results. But I know this stuff can have some side affects.

Let me know any experiences.

I haven't. But I have acute shoulder tendonitis right now. I'll try to find some.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I haven't. But I have acute shoulder tendonitis right now. I'll try to find some.
    i started using it, seems to relieve the pain.

hmm, the only DMSO I'm familiar with is an apolar solvent- DiMethyl Sulfoxide, and I use it to dissolve highly hydrophobic molecules (chemicals, peptides) in and also use it as a cryoprotectant for freezing down mammalian cell lines. It will readily penetrate the skin barrier and can cross cellular membranes and will transport whatever substance is dissolved in it across as well- including stuff that can kill you at pretty low doses. It is supposed to have mild analgesic properties but most of the time these are equivalent to placebo. I try to keep it off my skin as best as possible.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    It will readily penetrate the skin barrier and can cross cellular membranes and will transport whatever substance is dissolved in it across as well
    In short you taste it as soon as you touch it with your hand. I know it was used on horses legs to ease soreness. I don't know if the DMSO was used to carry other chemicals/drugs or used by it self.

DMSO folk medicine use has been around for decades. It is sometimes used alone, sometimes as a carrier for other stuff (e.g., aspirin powder + DMSO was a thing in the 1980s.) It'll make your breath and body smell like garlic. Be sure to thoroughly clean your skin before applying.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    DMSO folk medicine use has been around for decades. It is sometimes used alone, sometimes as a carrier for other stuff (e.g., aspirin powder + DMSO was a thing in the 1980s.) It'll make your breath and body smell like garlic. Be sure to thoroughly clean your skin before applying.
    thanks, i figured that.

When I was working around horses in the early 70s (Trotters/Pacers) DMSO was touted as the shit for carrying pain relievers into sore muscles.

A chemist told us to avoid it for humans because of the possible side effects.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

It's been around forever, especially in PDX. It was pioneered by a doctor at OHSU but never "FDA approved" for medical use but folks claim it cures everything. It was pretty popular in the 80's , used it once about 30 years ago to treat a sprained ankle to increase circulation and all I got was a big rash where I applied it.

http://www.dmso.org/

I used it in the 1980s for shin splints. It seemed to help, although AFAIK it may have been nothing more than a placebo that worked.

Shock wave therapy for tendinitis

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

That stuff scares the crap out of me. No way am I using that. But if it works for you, that’s fine with me, too.

I do my part, behind the lines, swabbing doorhandles of cop cars with DMSO mixed with LSD
    U.P.: up

Quote Originally Posted by stradissimo View Post
    I do my part, behind the lines, swabbing doorhandles of cop cars with DMSO mixed with LSD
    Nice move. Politicians next, plz

haha sounds like a waste of good acid

DMSO

Used it on a hip contusion after after I hip checked a rock at Bachelor opening day in the mid/late 90's. Not sure it did much and I still have a lump...

Used to be common at the Oregon Country Fair -> people walking around squirting/misting people with DMSO mixed with LSD. Then they cracked down and busted a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Used to be common at the Oregon Country Fair -> people walking around squirting/misting people with DMSO mixed with LSD. Then they cracked down and busted a few people.
    That is fucked up.

Using DMSO on living animals (people too) is fucked up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Detrusor - what's the down side to it? Figured there had to be one...

It’s very harmful to the eye, have to be very careful not to contact.

Severe allergic reactions common

Anything that might be dissolved in it (and Its an extremely good solvent) can easily enter the skin. Some people like it for this but there’s a lot of stuff you don’t want entering your skin, even in trace amounts.

It’s a neurotoxin to the developing fetus.

The list goes on. May as well just pour stoddards solvent all over yourself. It’s a bunch of dangerous hooey.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That is fucked up.
    "Momma said!"

BUMP.
    On March 30, I tore a calf muscle. My brother, who is famous for self-perscibing told me to buy topical DMSO and apply. I know that horse trainers have been using this for decades, but I know of no doctors, PTs or other health care professionals who have recommended this for treatment for injuries to humans. Discuss.
    I have heard that it can be an effective treatment for shingles.
    I wonder whether it is preferable to application of heat and ice?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Splat splooge has DMSO in it