Colorado backcountry ski?

Hey folks, I've been digging around but not really finding my answer. I'm looking for suggestions on an AT/backcountry ski. They do not need to be inbounds use. Just for touring/BC. I'm 5'11"/200, black diamond, fairly aggressive skier, like bumps and jumps but not hucking it off cliffs (usually). I'll be going with AT boots and tech bindings. I'm looking for something that's a good balance of lighter weight and good downhill performance. i.e. i dont want a superlight plank that cant handle terrain, I dont want an inbounds brick I have to lug up the hill.

My downhill skis are Icelantic nomad 95's, which I love for everything except powder and hauling ass, Line Sick Day 114's, which are basically the opposite: great for powder and hauling ass, kind of suck at anything else, and Line Mordecai's, which are my fun soft snow goofing off skis. I guess I'm looking for something like the Nomad 95's but lighter and probably stiffer, and hopefully better in hard snow. A backcountry Nordica Enforcer type ski, maybe?

and yes, I know. get the red ones.

What’s the weight on the Mordecai’s? If that’s a ski that you really enjoy skiing and is fun then it sounds like a good BC ski. Get something that can handle variable terrain, skis tight trees well and floats on pow at low speeds. A lot of your Co back country will on lower pitch hills.

I tour with a ski that’s 105 under foot, has a pretty tight radius, generous early rise tips and tail and is faulty playful and easy to slarve.

The lhasas here would be good if you can fit a mount for whatever binding you want. I have some binding freedom plates and plum guide bindings you could put on them.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d-cheap-Lhasas
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    What’s the weight on the Mordecai’s? If that’s a ski that you really enjoy skiing and is fun then it sounds like a good BC ski. Get something that can handle variable terrain, skis tight trees well and floats on pow at low speeds. A lot of your Co back country will on lower pitch hills.

I tour with a ski that’s 105 under foot, has a pretty tight radius, generous early rise tips and tail and is faulty playful and easy to slarve.
    the mordecai's are heavy. 2029 per. they're also wider (114) than I would like for the conditions I've skied in the backcountry so far, which can range from ice to powder and back over the course of a run. I'd probably pick my Nomads of the skis I have currently.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    the mordecai's are heavy. 2029 per. they're also wider (114) than I would like for the conditions I've skied in the backcountry so far, which can range from ice to powder and back over the course of a run. I'd probably pick my Nomads of the skis I have currently.
    Sounds like you don’t like em in powder though? You should be finding plenty of soft snow in the back country, and plenty of breakable crust over soft snow so make sure they are good for that too.

Praxis custom sell starts the 25th, build exactly what you want. Sounds like you wouldn't want the UL core but you can certainly build them very light with all of the other options available

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

The Nomad 105 Lights seem worth looking into.

If these are still available they are your answer: https://boulder.craigslist.org/spo/d...512352368.html

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Sounds like you don’t like em in powder though? You should be finding plenty of soft snow in the back country, and plenty of breakable crust over soft snow so make sure they are good for that too.
    I like them in powder. I dont like them in hardpack/crusty/ice.

Quote Originally Posted by SawtoothDude View Post
    The Nomad 105 Lights seem worth looking into.
    yeah, this is an option for sure. If I could find them used I would do it in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    If these are still available they are your answer: https://boulder.craigslist.org/spo/d...512352368.html
    those would work, good looking out

edit: nm. they're sold already.

those would work, good looking out
    I have their little brother (Yetis). They are a perfect spring and low tide ski in CO as they still ski 6" of soft well that can be hidden on N. facing stuff surprisingly late. On deep days I bring out the Lhasas recommend above: they are great -- but not my favorite on hard conditions.

If you're getting one go ski, Praxis BC is a good one.

I believe you ski at Luv a lot -- they'll remount cheap if necessary. Although radicals have good BSL adjustment range. Or if you're in Denver drop them off at my place with a 6er.

https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/...492800563.html

Sick Day 102's in Golden. Seem close to what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I have their little brother (Yetis). They are a perfect spring and low tide ski in CO as they still ski 6" of soft well that can be hidden on N. facing stuff surprisingly late. On deep days I bring out the Lhasas recommend above: they are great -- but not my favorite on hard conditions.

If you're getting one go ski, Praxis BC is a good one.

I believe you ski at Luv a lot -- they'll remount cheap if necessary. Although radicals have good BSL adjustment range. Or if you're in Denver drop them off at my place with a 6er.
    I've been skiing at A Bay more lately, but yeah. and thanks! I am in Denver. Well, edge of Golden. those Praxis sold though. still on the hunt.

Opinions on Black Crows Daemons? someone offered me a pair, they have good reviews, but I can't imagine that a full rockered ski is any good at all in shitty conditions.

but I can't imagine that a full rockered ski is any good at all in shitty conditions.
    oh boy....
    you have a lot to learn my young padawan.
    Does the name 'Katana' ring a bell?
    'cochise'?