Airline baggage + bicycle: anyone have small luggage that works?

I'm planning a trip this fall where I'll need to transport two road bikes from Nevada to Tennessee (and back) for a week-long tour. Trying to figure out how to get the bikes moved without paying $$$$$ to do it.

Checked Fed Ex estimator; ballpark is $130 per bike, each way.

The most useful airline for the trip is Delta. They charge $150 per bike, each way. From what I can tell, no fee waiver if upgrade to business or first class.

If I can break down the bike to fit into standard luggage sizes, it'll be $0 fee. Has anyone here found any smaller luggage that works for this? Thinking 1 bag for frame, 1 bag for wheels, and pack the rest of the stuff around the frame or in a 3rd checked bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm going through the same ordeal at the moment.

1) if you can ship, bikeflights.com will likely be a good bit cheaper than the airline.

2) a standard wheel box can be trimmed a bit to fit within delta baggage restrictions.

3) I'm planning on putting the frame in a large duffel bag with a bunch of stuff (including something rigid for anti crush support) packed around the frame. I figure measuring dimensions on a duffel is a bit wonky, and even if it's a bit big, as long as it's under weight it'll be ok. That comes with the caveat that I'm dealing with an fs mountain bike, and I'm planning on removing the back end to make everything fit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

https://www.bikeflights.com/ or https://www.shipbikes.com/

Both are around $50 per bike each way. Just grab a box from a local bike store, pack it up, and ship. Use the same box on the way back. Youll be without a bike for 4 days or so on either end of your trip.

I'll look into the shipping companies - thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.