Recommend AT Bindings

One of my ski partners is not really a gear geek. He's been earning his turns for years, knows only what he knows, and likes equipment that simple and works. He's 6'3", 210lbs but doesn't ski hard and isn't tough on his equipment.

He's been skiing Fritchi Freeride Pros for years but just got a new pair of skis and is willing to try something with some newer technology. He's got Black Diamond Factor boots which I believe have tech fittings. He's hesitant to go with tech binders though as he likes simplicity.

I'm a tele skier so I'm not always up on the newest AT gear. What would you recommend?

The red ones

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm 5'11" and 215 lb and ski fairly hard. I've not used all the different binders so others with more experience may have different opinions, but for simple and reliable my wife and I have both had good luck with G3 Ions. Nothing fancy, just simple, easy to use bindings. There gets to be more good options every year.

I have a new pair of kingpin 13’s for sale. Full disclosure - I’m around 200 lbs. and ski not only aggressively, but badly. I’m moving on from them because all those factors together seem to lead to potential issues with the toe pins.

They’re pretty simple to use and will ski like FR pros without having to pick up the whole frame.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm about the same size as your bud and have some Radical ST's. I learned my lesson not to ski them hard inbounds, but for light duty they are great. Haven't ripped em out yet anyway.

I'd probably go Vipec before Kingpin due to pin issues. Or have him wait till next year for the Shift.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    no they will not ski like the FR’s.
    fritschi vipec will ski more like the kingpin
    How? Not sure where you’re going with this? Can you explain why?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

... because freerides ski like crap? ... and skiing in high heels isn't fun?

Vipecs. Ions. Speed Turns. All good options.

I really dig my new Tectons, but a bit overkill for him, IMO, if he truly is that light on his feet. He might like the alpine heel though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    He's 6'3", 210lbs but doesn't ski hard and isn't tough on his equipment.
    From the EC/Magic threads, I see you're from the East Coast, and my comments assume the same for your friend:

While your friend may not be tough on his equipment, the "hardpack" out there can be pretty tough on his ankles & knees when transmitted through toe pins to 210lbs. Maybe the Vipec toe addresses this, but Dynafit/Marker/G3 pins don't. If he is leaning this way, definitely see if he can borrow/demo something on a non-new snow day to see if it bothers him or not, particularly if this will be on a daily driver.

BUT, if this is a new snow/spring rig only, my similarly-sized*/easy on gear carcass has had good luck using Ions (driving Protests, no less). Limited exposure to other pin tech, tho.

If a DD, according to this page there can be some weight savings (depending on what year you believe) moving from a Freeride to a Marker F10/12, but it is minimal. I do think the Marker's ski better, FWIW:

https://www.evo.com/guides/alpine-an...inding-weights

Good luck getting your friend sorted. Given the storms you have rolling through, I think the real lesson you should be teaching him is he has no friends for the next couple days.

Cheers,
    Paul

* Weight-only, if we're being honest. I stand by my thoughts!

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

He almost exclusively skis BC so it's usually soft snow or corn.

Speed turns are going to be too 'fiddly' for him as they require a leash, the climbing riser requires the entire heel to be rotated, etc.

I've read of multiple Vipec failures. Has that been resolved?

The G3 Ion looks nice and I've even clicked NTN boots into them one time. That might be the best option.

Of course, all of this is based on the idea that he will be willing to climb even the slightest learning curve and try something new to him.

I'm wondering a similar thing for myself. Ski blacks inbounds, new to BC, just got my avy training this weekend. 5'11"/200, ski fairly hard but not doing cliff drops, have a tendency to be hard on things. Skied dynafit radical 2.0's this weekend, felt weird and I didnt trust them, but I think it was just mental as I didnt actually have any problems.

Speed turns are going to be too 'fiddly' for him as they require a leash, the climbing riser requires the entire heel to be rotated, etc.
    Radical ST doesn't need leashes. Never felt too fiddly to me, rotating the heel while holding down the brake and done. All tech bindings will require some fiddling though.

I have stayed away from G3 for many years because everything I've had from them meets an early demise. But hey, YMMV literally.

No shout outs for Plum Guides? I'm 5'10", 185lbs before gear. I abuse my equipment and ski hard to compensate for lack of technique - been on them for two seasons and have not had any issues. I love the simplicity of the Guides, and the release values up to 12 are great. I initially had the RV too low and gradually increased it to the right setting.

At last a thread on this little discussed topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

They are much less fiddly than having the brakes freeze on Ions, or having the heel riser fall off a pair of Vipecs. For me a backcountry binding needs a simple, well proven design.

Good to know about the Speed Turns. As I said, AT is not my bag so I might come with some preconceived notions.

I'm jealous. Moving from Freerides to dynafits (verticals) years ago was one of the most marked improvements in skiing quality I've ever gotten out of buying new gear. I wish every new piece of hardware I bought made such a noticeable change.

Freerides are so fucking terrible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Vipec stuff appears to have been resolved.

My Tectons compared to my old Vertical STs are better in literally every way for the same weight. Just saying. Time will tell re reliability with the Tecton heels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Atomic Backland or Salomon MTN bindings. Lightweight, simple, and reliable. Can be had with or without brakes.

Oh sheez. I spend a total of 30 seconds per tour on those fiddly items. Maybe ski touring is not the best endeavor for your friend the Princess who feels the pea under 100 mattresses. Perhaps he should try a less fiddly avocation like bowling or staying home and watching TV (with single synced remote control because those multiple remote controls are too fiddly).

He's hesitant to go with tech binders though as he likes simplicity.
    Oh sheez. Speed Turn 2.0 is as simple as touring bindings get

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Atomic Backland or Salomon MTN bindings. Lightweight, simple, and reliable. Can be had with or without brakes.
    I just went through this same process, I'm a lifelong freeheeler but wanted to get my wife set up on A/T, blah blah.

Anyway, after a lot of input from others and some homework on my end the Salomon MTNs are what I ended up ordering. Hoping to install them this weekend on a pair of Praxis BC skis.

Another vote for the Vipec based on your description.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Oh sheez. Speed Turn 2.0 is as simple as touring bindings get
    This. Everything else is heavier, more complicated, more expensive, and breaks more often - including Dynafit's other bindings.

^^^Speed Superlites (both versions) have a good track record too, albeit with a different set of users.