Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do not buy this ski lock

It sucks.

https://www.rei.com/product/875927/d...RoCb5AQAvD_BwE

Sorry, REI, you were the first retailer to come up. Nothing personal.

Bought it recently on a long trip because I forgot to pack my lock. First, the cable is too short. Then, it wouldn't unlock today with the right combo. So I borrowed a simple wire cutter from the ticket window to attempt what I thought would be a difficult cut of the cable, and it was as easy as buttah. Useless piece of crap.

Weak troll is weak. Come on man, you got this.

People lock their skis? I just put mine next to a pair with Kingpins and go order a pitcher at lunch.

i've had a couple locks. my board is one of my most prized possessions and i have little chance of coming up with $600 to replace it in a season. i lock it everywhere. i am the first on the bus to timberline, so i put the board in the back corner and lock it to the basket. if there's no ski check, i lock it on the racks. probably a repeat, but i went to bachelor several years ago and it was really cold. i locked my board to the rack outside the ticket office and went inside to buy my pass. i came back out and the lock had frozen and then appeared to possibly break inside the mechanism, but not release the lock. i'm dying to ride and this is very frustrating. so i go back inside and ask if anybody has a wire cutter or something. a couple bachelor guys come out with me to assess the situation, one pulls out his leatherman and snips it with the wire cutting part of the plier in a split second. it was shockingly fast and easy and i felt, once again, like a moron. it's not that i thought the lock was impenetrable, but i thought it would slow somebody down more than a split second. i have since invested in a slightly beefier lock, but timberline has ski check so i use that.

Do you also use a ski tote and cat tracks?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Ski totes were awesome
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Any cable lock is a joke. I had a bike locked with a cable that was about 1/2 inch thick. Locked to a railing outside the library at school in broad daylight with lots of people walking by. Took the thief less than a minute to snip his way through it. Several witnesses watched him do it and gave reports to the campus police. This was in the pre-cellphone era.

They actually caught the kid and returned my bike (modified and trashed out), but after I had already bought a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

i don't even know what those are so maybe

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    i don't even know what those are so maybe
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Do you also use a ski tote ...?
    LMK if you want the file to 3D print the extensions so it can carry my Protests.

I find that the idea of a cable lock for skis is not so much to actually secure the skis as to make them appear secured next to other pairs without this illusion, making the other skis the easy picking. I use mine all the time and for what it costs and the slight peace of mind that it gives (that is, if the skis are stolen i can still say they were locked, which is more than 99% of other skiers can say -> smaller deductable) makes em worth it - despite not being a pocket size Fort Knox. I use this lock (see below) - it works decently and is cheap. Dakine brands the same lock as the cool lock and wants more of my dineros for me to buy it from them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lifeventure...UAAOSw-4BXbSoa

You're probably the first to mock someone for not locking their skis when they come on this board to announce that their beloved 1400 dollar carbon gems have been swiped from where ever rack in front of the lodge.

And, I should have been wearing cat tracks more, because I may have to ditch my wonderful Full Tilt First Chairs because the non replaceable toe piece is wearing down to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You're probably the first to mock someone for not locking their skis when they come on this board to announce that their beloved 1400 dollar carbon gems have been swiped from where ever rack in front of the lodge.

And, I should have been wearing cat tracks more, because I may have to ditch my wonderful Full Tilt First Chairs because the non replaceable toe piece is wearing down to nothing.
    Naaa theft sucks. I was just busting chops is all. Just having some fun...it's all good if it makes you feel good, but as you found out they really won't do much. Much like door locks on your house. Thief wants in...they'll get in.

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    LMK if you want the file to 3D print the extensions so it can carry my Protests.

oooooh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post

i can confirm that i have never used or seen one in person. how do you fold your skis up inside that tiny box?

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I find that the idea of a cable lock for skis is not so much to actually secure the skis as to make them appear secured next to other pairs without this illusion, making the other skis the easy picking. I use mine all the time and for what it costs and the slight peace of mind that it gives (that is, if the skis are stolen i can still say they were locked, which is more than 99% of other skiers can say -> smaller deductable) makes em worth it - despite not being a pocket size Fort Knox. I use this lock (see below) - it works decently and is cheap. Dakine brands the same lock as the cool lock and wants more of my dineros for me to buy it from them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lifeventure...UAAOSw-4BXbSoa
    This. Ski theft is generally a crime of convenience. If you make it slightly harder for the thief, he/she will just grab the next pair on the rack.

That being said, I've been very lucky over the years and have not had any skis stolen...../anti-jinx

Cat Tracks are out.. Yak Trax Ski Trax are the new thing..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Hmmm... crap?
    I have two of those!

A cable ski lock will prevent a quick grab and go, which is probably 99% if ski/board thefts.
    No cable ski lock is going to stop the 1% of thefts that are premeditated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a bike saddle "seat saver" cable from somewhere and a little aluminum padlock from Wal-Mart. Still easy to cut, but stronger and cheaper than any of the ski accessories.

People feel the need to lock their skis?! WTF?!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Get a bike saddle "seat saver" cable from somewhere and a little aluminum padlock from Wal-Mart. Still easy to cut, but stronger and cheaper than any of the ski accessories.
    I've got one of these.. No longer made or sold :-(
    Slide the bracket down, put poles in top side. Slide bracket back and clip bottom part around skis mid binding. Put lock cable through bottom clip and around the ski rack..

If your skis are over 85 waist you can only get one in, but that still keeps them locked to the rack.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    People lock their skis? I just put mine next to a pair with Kingpins and go order a pitcher at lunch.
    Yeah this has been the move since forever. Put your skis next to kingpins, DPS pures being ridden inbounds, or other expensive looking skis

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

Yeah, they're dorky as fuck, but the cat tracks are a necessity if you frequently ski at a resort with a paved base area. When I worked at Canyons, I was only a 50 ski day per year guy but I ate through two pairs per season of the cheap ones.

I had never put in the miles at somewhere with a paved base village before, but it must be the same at pretty much all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    People feel the need to lock their skis?! WTF?!
    There is an opioid crisis in this country.