Blogging: Where to store trip reports?

Yeah, blogging is dead.

But I need a recommendation on where to store trip reports online -- in addition to TGR of course. I've got a little project I'm looking to complete next season and would like to make a little dedicated website for it. Need to store trip reports, with photos, maps, comments. Integrate with some basic social media to share with friends and family.

What's the go-to platform these days?

Things I like:
    -relatively inexpensive,
    - domain registration, web hosting, etc all in one place,
    - decent looking and easy to update,
    - easy to backup platform

I'm not scared of SSH, sFTP, etc -- but I also don't need to go over techie for no reason.

Is wordpress still good? It seems like its still a good way to create your own website.

wordpress?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Check UCL's Sierra Trip Reports site. He uses WordPress.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Wordpress seems to still be the thing. Okay. Message got.

Is there a Red TGR theme to use with it?

https://www.squarespace.com/ is popular with bloggers, "influencers", the younger crowd etc. Because it's easy to use, and it's very easy to have a beautiful looking page.

If you need google analytics for any reason, go the Wordpress.org route, NOT Wordpress.com...they charge you up the ass for Wordpress.com to hook up GA

I run wordpress architecture and use siteground as a host. Works pretty well. Cheaper than squarespace and some of the other more prepackaged options, but takes a little more tweaking from you in return. Here's my site. I setup a front page that is usually a collection of blog posts but then divvied things up into categories for types of posts, as well as static pages for what is basically an online guidebook.

I have a small blog essentially for the same purpose (store trips, share with F+F); I just signed up initially for a go daddy-hosted wordpress site. Really good deal the first year with coupon, including hosting, domain name etc, but they get you on the renewals the next year...

Wordpress is great because of all the plugins that you can add. I find the GPS track plugins like- Google-Maps-GPX-Viewer - super useful/cool for showing a GPS track on a map. But the downside is that lots of these plugins, like the before mentioned one, is that they are often hobby-sidejobs for the programmers and are not readily updated/get broken with wordpress updates etc.
    Here is my site if you needed some ideas for a wordpress trip report site

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I run wordpress architecture and use siteground as a host. Works pretty well. Cheaper than squarespace and some of the other more prepackaged options, but takes a little more tweaking from you in return. Here's my site. I setup a front page that is usually a collection of blog posts but then divvied things up into categories for types of posts, as well as static pages for what is basically an online guidebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by oreo View Post
    I have a small blog essentially for the same purpose (store trips, share with F+F); I just signed up initially for a go daddy-hosted wordpress site. Really good deal the first year with coupon, including hosting, domain name etc, but they get you on the renewals the next year...

Wordpress is great because of all the plugins that you can add. I find the GPS track plugins like- Google-Maps-GPX-Viewer - super useful/cool for showing a GPS track on a map. But the downside is that lots of these plugins, like the before mentioned one, is that they are often hobby-sidejobs for the programmers and readily updated/get broken with wordpress updates etc.
    Here is my site if you needed some ideas for a wordpress trip report site
    Thanks for these -- good inspiration.

I got setup on hostgator cause it was stupid cheap with some coupons for the year. And dead easy, includes google analytics and enough features for me. I don't have any pretense that this will be an influencer thing. As it matures I figure I can always move hosts if I need to.

Now on to making the content.