Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Black Crows Corvus Mount Point

I've looked around the forum and haven't found much amount about mounting points for the BC Corvus. Looking for feedback based on experiences. Has anyone mounted their bindings behind the factory recommended line? Or skied the Corvus with bindings mounted behind the factory recommended line?

I currently ski the Corvus 193 mounted at the factory recommended line. The skis feel ok, not great. Something is missing. Tips feel short and lacking the sense stability compared to what I'm used to skiing. The long tails also hook up at times when I don't want them to. I really like the ski and want to make them work. Not sure I should remount my bindings 1-2 cm (or more) behind the factory line.

I'm a bigger guy, 6'-0" 215lbs and prefer big mountain skiing. My current quiver:

Volkl Katana 191 mounted +2 (everyday ski)
    Volkl Confession 193 mounted +2
    Volkl Shiro 193 mounted +1
    Atomic Ritual 190 mounted -2
    Volkl 100Eight mounted factory line (A/T setup)

Thanks for the feedback!

And that rule about measure twice, drill once. FAIL!

I have the Corvus Freebird, and no issue with the location. But I’ve had a couple other Crows and their mount lines have been off. I just mounted an Orb on Friday, and the website says -10 (same as the Corvus), but it was off by almost 2 cm.

Is the mount line on the ski actually correct?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

No idea if the mount point is correct. Haven't measured the skis. How does Crow measure their skis?

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    I have the Corvus Freebird, and no issue with the location. But I’ve had a couple other Crows and their mount lines have been off. I just mounted an Orb on Friday, and the website says -10 (same as the Corvus), but it was off by almost 2 cm.

Is the mount line on the ski actually correct?
    You're saying that didn't match up with the little arrow on the side wall? I would guess the sidewall mark is going to be more accurate than the web site, in general. I would hope.

Mounted my Corvus on the line. Although mounted the Camox 2cm behind and they work.

I know... I am providing no useful info at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    You're saying that didn't match up with the little arrow on the side wall? I would guess the sidewall mark is going to be more accurate than the web site, in general. I would hope.
    Really? They don’t make their own skis. I think either atomic or elan makes them. BC list their recommended mount point on their website for all their skis.

The orb I just mounted is a 183. I’ve had the 178, but it’s been short and I’m turning it into a Tele ski... if I followed the little arrow, the 183 would be mounted 79.4 cm from the tail, while the 178 is mounted 79cm dead nuts from the tail. I always check my marks.

I guess I was assuming they would check the marks themselves after being pressed at the factory. I have 4 pairs of Black Crows and the arrow has been good for all of them so far... maybe I've just been lucky? (it's possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkwood View Post
    No idea if the mount point is correct. Haven't measured the skis. How does Crow measure their skis?
    I take their recommendation, which is -10 for the Corvus. Half of 193 is 96.5-10= 86.5. I measure from the tail, 86.5 for your skis, and that should be the arrow on the sidewalll. Now, I’m anal, so I measure the actual ski length, not straight pull, but along the curves of the ski, then I take that number and follow the above equation.

The shop I go to has had a number of arrows on the sidewall not line up with the numbers on the website.

To be clear, I’m not bashing BC, as I think their ski quality is top notch. But I’ve have this issue with other companies in the past, 4frnt comes to mind, so I always check my marks.

I guess I was assuming they would check the marks themselves after being pressed at the factory. I have 4 pairs of Black Crows and the arrow has been good for all of them so far... maybe I've just been lucky? (it's possible)
    Yeah, I’m not sure. I have had 5 pairs of crows, and 3 marks have been good, one was off 1cm, but these recent orbs are what threw me for a loop. Especially with owning the smaller size.

All this said, it might not help the OP. I just ran across this slight discrepancy which may be useless info for his situation. It’s a quick check.

Dang! Hard to believe that not one gear-head on this forum has tinkered with the mount location on the corvus.

Dang! Hard to believe that not one gear-head on this forum has tinkered with the mount location on the corvus.
    It is their oldest / original ski so I would think they have it pretty dialed by now... although big changes next year with no camber.

It is their oldest / original ski so I would think they have it pretty dialed by now... although big changes next year with no camber.
    They're doing what now?

They’re making the Corvus reverse camber. As discussed on the blister podcast.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    They're doing what now?
    https://youtu.be/DvyenTQ98zM

those clever bastards. prolly gonna be one hell of a backcountry ski

Does Black Crows measure straight-tape true to length? Or shorter?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Does Black Crows measure straight-tape true to length? Or shorter?
    They run short... my 188cm Animas are barely longer than my 184cm ON3P's.

Whaohh. Super short

Whaohh. Super short
    I'd say it's a 2-3 cm difference... largely depending on how much tail rocker there is. The anima freebirds have a lot so that's part of the reason.

I'd say it's a 2-3 cm difference... largely depending on how much tail rocker there is. The anima freebirds have a lot so that's part of the reason.
    If you ever sell that ski, I'll buy it. Would be my ideal deep day touring ski.

If you ever sell that ski, I'll buy it. Would be my ideal deep day touring ski.
    If you happen to be a 305 BSL you can try them... although we don't have any deep days coming up in the forecast after so many of them over the past month.

Two pairs of Corvus both mounted on the line.

Sent from my XT1254 using TGR Forums mobile app

I've looked around the forum and haven't found much amount about mounting points for the BC Corvus. Looking for feedback based on experiences. Has anyone mounted their bindings behind the factory recommended line? Or skied the Corvus with bindings mounted behind the factory recommended line?

I currently ski the Corvus 193 mounted at the factory recommended line. The skis feel ok, not great. Something is missing. Tips feel short and lacking the sense stability compared to what I'm used to skiing. The long tails also hook up at times when I don't want them to. I really like the ski and want to make them work. Not sure I should remount my bindings 1-2 cm (or more) behind the factory line.

I'm a bigger guy, 6'-0" 215lbs and prefer big mountain skiing. My current quiver:

Volkl Katana 191 mounted +2 (everyday ski)
    Volkl Confession 193 mounted +2
    Volkl Shiro 193 mounted +1
    Atomic Ritual 190 mounted -2
    Volkl 100Eight mounted factory line (A/T setup)

Thanks for the feedback!

And that rule about measure twice, drill once. FAIL!
    Curious to know what you ended up with as I have the 2018 (no reverse camber) Corvus in 193cm and totally share your experience. The tips on Corvus definitely feel short for a ski that big and there's a hell a lot of tail - which at times feels catchy and also unnecessary long most of the time.

My gold standard go-to ski is Dynastar Pro XXL 194 (mounted on the line / -1 cm) which I totally love. Also have the Dynastar Big Dump 192 (mounted -1.5 cm), which actually feel quicker and easier/more nimble than the Corvus. All of these are mounted with look pivot 18s, no toe risers.

Am I just too old-school for these new skis? Anyone on Corvus mounted back from the factory recommendation?
    Last edited by 20:59; 12-25-2018 at 03:48 PM.

I mounted 193 17-18 Corvus on the line w/ dynafit rad2.0
    Only two days on them in thin preseason conditions
    Hoping to get them into proper snow soon

I am about to mount (or get mounted) some Daemons and I am wondering about the general accuracy of the sidewall mark: can it be trusted or can someone tell me how to double-check with what distance for a 188 Daemon?

I tested 183 Daemons on the line and found them to be way forward with too little ski in front and a very hooky / snappy tail on harder surfaces. So now I am aiming to go -1.5 wich was also recommended by one of the Black Crows chat guys. This might apply to the new Corvus, too. I think Julien R. likes to have the mount rather forward compared to some old-schoolers like me who never ski switch and such...