Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 20:59 View Post
    Curious to know what you ended up with as I have the 2018 (no reverse camber) Corvus in 193cm and totally share your experience. The tips on Corvus definitely feel short for a ski that big and there's a hell a lot of tail - which at times feels catchy and also unnecessary long most of the time.

My gold standard go-to ski is Dynastar Pro XXL 194 (mounted on the line / -1 cm) which I totally love. Also have the Dynastar Big Dump 192 (mounted -1.5 cm), which actually feel quicker and easier/more nimble than the Corvus. All of these are mounted with look pivot 18s, no toe risers.

Am I just too old-school for these new skis? Anyone on Corvus mounted back from the factory recommendation?
    I ended up mounting my 2017 Corvus -2 cm behind the factory recommended line.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I am about to mount (or get mounted) some Daemons and I am wondering about the general accuracy of the sidewall mark: can it be trusted or can someone tell me how to double-check with what distance for a 188 Daemon?

I tested 183 Daemons on the line and found them to be way forward with too little ski in front and a very hooky / snappy tail on harder surfaces. So now I am aiming to go -1.5 wich was also recommended by one of the Black Crows chat guys. This might apply to the new Corvus, too. I think Julien R. likes to have the mount rather forward compared to some old-schoolers like me who never ski switch and such...
    I demoed the 183 Deamon as well (from mountain air in Verbier) and had the opposite exp, they were on Warden Demos, not sure how on the line they were but I', 6'4 and 95kg and was skiing them with my plug boots on, it was also pretty hard packed at the time and I found them to be one of the best skis I've ever used.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

I now have tried the Daemon in 188 mounted at -1.5cm for 4 days with rather variable conditions and I am a very happy with the skis.

So my take away on the daemon is: mount a little back, go longer. Maybe if you ski more neutral / back stance and come from a park background or something this looks different for you.

BUT for the Corvus it seems this is a different game. There has been a comment on the Deamon / Corvus mount-point-comparison on blister and it seems somebody likes Daemon on -1.5 and Corvus on the line... Unfortunately I have not skied the Corvus so I don't know if this holds true.

I am four days deep in 2019 188 Corvus mounted on de line. I second guessed it after looking at how forward they were compared to my 186 bodacious (at +1.5) and 186 renegades at the maggot approved 87 from tail. After talking it over with several folks including the rep I am g’damn glad they are on the line b/c these bad boys have some stiff shovels!

That being said they absolutely rip and I couldn’t be happier. But I maybe happier after 20’days of break in period.
    one step forward, no step backward

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkwood View Post
    I ended up mounting my 2017 Corvus -2 cm behind the factory recommended line.
    How's it feeling with the -2cm mount? Was that sufficient to improve the feeling overall?

I mounted my 2019s (183) on the line the think they’re good there. Caveat: I also have a pair of Faction Candide 3.0s and am used to a relatively forward mount point.

How's it feeling with the -2cm mount? Was that sufficient to improve the feeling overall?
    -2cm completely changed the feeling for the better. The ski feels more stable and is still maneuverable.

Was just wondering how you guys are liking the -2cm mounting point -- still happy with it? I've just bought a pair of '17-'18 188cm Corvuses (Corvii?) and having a similar dilemma (don't ski switch, am pretty old-school, my other skis are 184cm Head Monster 88's, mounted on the rec. line).

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkwood View Post
    -2cm completely changed the feeling for the better. The ski feels more stable and is still maneuverable.

is this in powder exclusively?
    or transitional & hard pack too...?

i've been pretty comfortable on the line thus far, but we haven't been graced with much pow this year

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    is this in powder exclusively?
    or transitional & hard pack too...?

i've been pretty comfortable on the line thus far, but we haven't been graced with much pow this year
    All mountain freedride skiing, hardpack, crud, powder, etc... Typical tahoe conditions, one ski quiver.

Bit confused - the line is -10 from centre. That's not a "forward" mount point anyway. The Corvus is the furthest back of all their big mountain skis anyway? I'm about to get the 193cm and was going to mount on the line.

Don’t be confused. The line is there for a reason. Measure from tails to confirm similar positioning between skis, but otherwise trust the line unless you have a very specific reason to do otherwise

Is it -10 on all sizes? If so the mount gets more progressive in the bigger sizes. Still, I can't understand anyone thinking -10 on a 193 is like ultra progressive and a short tip unless it's the first new ski they've tried in the last 10+ years. Pretty similar ratio to Billy Goats which I find to be a pretty perfect modern "traditional"/directional mount.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Is it -10 on all sizes? If so the mount gets more progressive in the bigger sizes. Still, I can't understand anyone thinking -10 on a 193 is like ultra progressive and a short tip unless it's the first new ski they've tried in the last 10+ years. Pretty similar ratio to Billy Goats which I find to be a pretty perfect modern "traditional"/directional mount.
    I'm wondering if people are crossing up the new version this year (virtually full rocker with progressive) and the prior version camber traditional.

No idea. The OP was talking about the older ones. You are on the new version right? I couldn't mind mount info on the Corvus page of their website. Didn't dig too hard though.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    I couldn't mind mount info on the Corvus page of their website. Didn't dig too hard though.
    Their site has even less info this year than they did last year and just noticed the skis now have bulletpoints on the graphic however the ones I looked at were the old stats, not the new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the new 193s mounted on the line and everything's worked out great

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by obviouslynotagolfer View Post
    Was just wondering how you guys are liking the -2cm mounting point -- still happy with it? I've just bought a pair of '17-'18 188cm Corvuses (Corvii?) and having a similar dilemma (don't ski switch, am pretty old-school, my other skis are 184cm Head Monster 88's, mounted on the rec. line).
    I also remounted my 2017-2018 Corvus 193 to -2 cm and it completely changed the ski for the better. Mount on the factory recommended line made the ski feel short in the front, long & catchy in the tails and it felt like I was standing in the wrong place (especially in carving turns). After the remount to -2 cm the ski feels much more natural and the tails don't feel catchy anymore. Skied a few days after the mount, pow, chopped, hardpack, ice, groomers.

do you mind giving the measurement from the tails of your mount position?

(all this -2cm talk makes me question my whole being...)

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    (all this -2cm talk makes me question my whole being...)
    You better figure out if you ski like Julien or not I don't. So should I question my whole being now?

2019 version 183s have sidewall mark 83cm from tail. I’m good on the line. Could see someone liking them anywhere from on the line to -2...

FWIW I picked up a pair of 183 Corvus, this years version (18/19, flat camber). Haven't mounted them yet.

The website still had the mount point listed at 10 cm behind true center. Blister listed it at -8 cm in their review. Mine were marked at -8 cm (well -7.75 cm actually by my measurements).

I emailed black crows and just got a response. They said the website is incorrect and the 18/19 mount point is indeed 8 cm behind true center. This is 83 cm from the tail on my pair.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    FWIW I picked up a pair of 183 Corvus, this years version (18/19, flat camber). Haven't mounted them yet.

The website still had the mount point listed at 10 cm behind true center. Blister listed it at -8 cm in their review. Mine were marked at -8 cm (well -7.75 cm actually by my measurements).

I emailed black crows and just got a response. They said the website is incorrect and the 18/19 mount point is indeed 8 cm behind true center. This is 83 cm from the tail on my pair.
    That's really interesting as on my 193cm 18/19, which arrived today I've measured it at -7 from true centre and to me they look WAY too forward mounted. Like 5 or 6cm further forward than both my PM Gear 191 FAT Lhasa and Stockli 95 Stormriders... so the website is wrong? I think I'm going to mount them -2 then at least, but they still seem like they will have way too much ski at the back and be too short up front

Measured it again.. from the tail to true centre and back. And it's -8.5cm... just was on live chat with Black Crows and the guys English wasn't great. But he said stay on the line or remove +1 for "Big Max".... lol.... no clue what to do. But my head says it's too far forward. Measured accurately t's 4.5cm further forward than my PM Gear 191's. I know i t's reverse camber, but not sure what to do.. Normally I mount on the line and all skis have been just right.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysEars View Post
    Measured it again.. from the tail to true centre and back. And it's -8.5cm... just was on live chat with Black Crows and the guys English wasn't great. But he said stay on the line or remove +1 for "Big Max".... lol.... no clue what to do. But my head says it's too far forward. Measured accurately t's 4.5cm further forward than my PM Gear 191's. I know i t's reverse camber, but not sure what to do.. Normally I mount on the line and all skis have been just right.
    Not tryin to be a dick, but short answer; Welcome to 2019!

The skis were designed (with regards to sidecut, rocker and flex profile) to be mounted at or near the (for you forward) line. Mount, ski, enjoy. If it's all news, you might wanna try skiing them with more of a centered stance.