Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightweight skiers

What do you ski on when you weigth 60 kilos ~ 130 pounds?

I think that I experience different skis in another way than the "norm"
    Just curious about what other people ski on that's all.

Ski boot flex would also be of interest.

the womens models of skis and boots would go down that small
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Couldn't say that 60kg is something special, typically 60kg~160cm height - almost all of men's ski models will fit in mid and shorter lengths (170-175)
    Sub 45kg weight for men - may be challenging though.

From what I see around - ski boot flex is more of a personal preference/skill/style than skier's weight.
    I'm 65 kilo, ski in Krypton Pro/Vulcan and definitely feel (and don't like) when I insert softer flexing tongues in my boots.
    And also I know 80+ kg huckers who ski much better than me and charge in soft park-boots all over the mountain.
    (also heard that ankle mobility - ankle forward lean - is somehow related to ski boot flex, and in general more flexible ankles require stiffer boots)

I'm also ~65kg.
    I ski Atomic Hawx XTD 130s in the backcountry and Dalebello Scorpion 130s in the resort.
    My skis range from 182cm-187cm and are on the stiffer side of things.*

A ski/boot doesn't know how big you are, it only knows how much force you apply to it. If you ski faster/more aggressively, you'll load the ski more, and skiing bigger/stiffer stuff is reasonable. It's totally reasonable for a heavier person to ski a shorter ski and softer boot, and a lighter person a heavier/stiffer one, depending on how those people ski and what they expect their setup to do for them.

*the exception is my dedicated ski mountaineering setup, which uses TLT6P boots and a 177cm ski.

I'm similar size (~125-130 and 5'8) and I tend to stick to low 180s with a decent amount of rocker and Hawx Ultra XTD 130s. Moreso about how you ski not what you weigh

I'm 6'2' 130# and ski Cochise 120s with 177 mantras (to be replaced with something 185-190 soon) and the boot flex seems to be just about in the sweet spot for me.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

My brother is 5'8", 130something and skis 194 XXLs.

So, as always, it depends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

5'10" ~145#

Krypton Pro (soft tongue)
    188 Kastle MX98
    191 PMGear Lhasa Pow Fat
    186 PMGear Kusala Pow
    202 DPS Lotus 138

Quote Originally Posted by santaclaus183 View Post
    I'm 6'2' 130# and ski Cochise 120s with 177 mantras (to be replaced with something 185-190 soon) and the boot flex seems to be just about in the sweet spot for me.
    Dude, eat a fucking cheeseburger.
    (I could use one too)
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Woah, yeah, Bean Pole Alert

Seriously, goddamn, I'm 5" shorter and 15# heavier and most everyone would describe me as a skinny fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Woah, yeah, Bean Pole Alert
    Circumference challenged.....

Figured that would be alarming I've got a pretty gnarly metabolism

I'm 6'2' 130#
    Where do you get W26xL36 jeans?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Pants are easy, it's the belts required to hold em up that get me

Oh my god. I fart more weight than that. 5 11" 160 and Im fat next to you

Lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Oh my god. I fart more weight than that. 5 11" 160 and Im fat next to you
    Same man.

I'm 5'11 and 150-155 pounds and that makes me feel fat. Everyone tells me I'm too skinny.

I wonder if Santa is wicked narrow too. Could explain it. You see those basketball players who are like 6'8 but narrow and barely 190 pounds.

Jesus, I thought my buddy who was 5’ 11” 130 was as skinny as they come. I aspire to get down to 190 at 6’.

5'6 ~130lbs

Lupo 130 w/ exp boosters
    ~180cm is the sweetspot for skis for me. DD is a 180 Rustler 10 and 180 Rustler 11 for fresh snow days. Feel like i'm in charge of both the boot and those skis at my weight. All about how you ski and how efficient you are at pushing energy into your ski.

I definitely do not hate being lightweight. I'm able to ski way harder without maxing out my gear. Braking shit is pretty rare which is nice.

Yeesh, you fuckers need to eat. I'm 5'7" and tend to hover between 150 and 160 pounds depending on the exercise to beer drinking ratio that month.

I'm currently skiing 186 Gunsmokes mounted 1.5cm behind the line, and they were great in Utah/the Tetons, but are feeling a bit big around Alpental. That's partially the terrain, and partially my responsibility for not being able to get out and ski as much as I was a few winters ago, but I think my next skis will likely be in the 177-181cm range. I ski pretty fast, but I'm definitely more of a turner than a straightliner, and I rarely huck big enough to need the landing platform that a 185cm+ ski offers.

Modern skis are more stable than people give them credit for, even in shorter lengths.

My buddy weighs 130# and rides low 180s skis. For what it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Ghosthop is like smurf sized and that lil stud bends Brahma’s.
    5,6 120lbs

I daily a 176 Bodacious in SW MT (as an aside, this was a hard ski to find, I'm in the market for a good condition backup pair). When I skied back east, mostly at Jay/Smuggs/MRG/Sugarbush, my daily was a 174 Rossignol Sickle which is really about 170. Pick the right tool for the job.

ETA: OP is a Euro skier. My current location offers a mix of steep, technical and wide open terrain. Previously I would storm chase but in terrain with less pitch and the majority below treeline and in glades. Because of my size I would often find myself skiing laughably dense trees.

Boots are 120 flex Mach 1, the flex is great for the Bodes but on softer/newschool-mount skis was too stiff once temps began to get in the low teens(F). If I was still primarily skiing bumps all day, all winter, I would be in softer boots.

I pay a lot of attention to distance from tip to boot center, ~100 cm is what works for me. I am happy on longer skis but without additional weight or height leverage, they become a serious chore for me in steep or tight scenarios. Shrinking sidecuts and inappropriate flexes are always concerns for the short lengths of TGR style skis.

Lightweight skiers

5’9” and 145-150. I’ve weighed as much as 190 10 years ago. If anything, leaning up made me more comfortable on bigger skis, though my ability level advanced significantly too, so who knows, though the two were pretty intertwined. My skis range from 186 to 196, and I prefer them stiff. Boots are 120 (ghosts) with booster straps.

Echoing whoever said it’s about style, force, and technique as much/more than height and weight. If you aren’t tailgunning, turning a ski is turning a ski. Longer skis are easier for a lighter guy to bend, if anything.

Also, as a lighter skier I bounce in ways I couldn’t at higher weights. Knee/back/foot pain is a thing of the past without all the extra baggage.
    focus.

135 / 5'5" and I'm in the 170s except for a 167cm praxis snd. 177 cochise, 176 billy goat, 172 line p98

5'9" 135lbs:

190 Salomon Equipe AXE
    187 Hojis
    181 Jeffreys
    180 Karhu teles
    178 Scimitars
    177 Huascarans
    170 volcano twigs

25.5 Kryptons with soft tongues
    26.5 MTN Labs
    26.5 Syner-Gs
    27.5 TLT6s

I think if I only had one ski, it would be low 180s. Don't really wish for different lengths in any of the above. Biggest game-changer for me were boots that fit well.