Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Time for an upgrade

I've been riding my Giant Trance for 4 years now and I think it's time for an upgrade. Looking at trying to stay in the $4,000-$5,000 range. Here's a few options I'm looking at:

Santa Cruz C S https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/bronson

Norco Sight C2 http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/...rbon/sight-c2/

Intense Recluse Pro Build https://intensecycles.com/collection...=3346143281175

They all seem to fairly similar overall, though I think the Norco and Intense have a little nicer builds. The Santa Cruz has a better warranty. Getting on the Bronson and Norco probably won't be too difficult, but I can't find anyone with the Recluse around me.

90% of the my riding is spent along the Wasatch with a few Moab trips and Deer Valley days thrown in. The new Nomad is slightly tempting, but I just spend too much time climbing to justify it. Anyone have any time on any of these?

what do you, and don't you, like about your current bike?

why is the upgrade needed?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    what do you, and don't you, like about your current bike?

why is the upgrade needed?
    I don’t NEED one necessarily but when has that stopped anyone?

I don’t dislike the Trance but I find it a little lifeless on descents. Could be due to the shitty fox 32 fork though. I’d like something a little lively on the way down. The 2x drivetrain is also getting worn out and I figure before dropping a bunch of money upgrading a 4 year old bike I may as well see what’s out there.

If you find the Trance to be lifeless, I would stay away from the VPP bikes (Bronson, Recluse). Which isn't to say they're bad bikes by any means, but I think it's easier to make other suspension designs feel poppy and playful. Of course, a lot of that just comes down to suspension setup, and buying something with better, more tunable suspension will make it a lot easier to set up any of those bikes however you want.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I don’t NEED one necessarily but when has that stopped anyone?

I don’t dislike the Trance but I find it a little lifeless on descents. Could be due to the shitty fox 32 fork though. I’d like something a little lively on the way down. The 2x drivetrain is also getting worn out and I figure before dropping a bunch of money upgrading a 4 year old bike I may as well see what’s out there.
    have you had a fork/shock rebuild at all?
    1) it needs maintenance at least once a year
    2) you can get it tuned/set up for a lot of changes to effect performance.

FYI: new XT drivetrain is $300ish, suspension work $300 so for under $600 you can get a LOT of stuff re-done on your bike to make it feel better? Worst case you can usually sell the bike more (for about te cost of the new parts that you added)

or go buy the pretty one as well. we ALL like new toys, and if you can afford them, GO FOR IT.

but as you are looking for a "feel" go demo all the bikes first and buy the one that feels right

If you want a lively bike, check out the Mojo HD3/3 or the Transition Scout.

I rode a Bronson and 5010 last summer. Nice bikes, but I personally have never gotten along with that execution of VPP. Loved the Scout I rode, and basically bought one until I didn't. Agreed with funken, very lively bike. No time on the Patrol, but on paper, and from reports, it's similarly awesome, just more bike. In that same class of bike, it couldn't hurt to look at the GG Megatrail as well.

Are Intense frames straight now that they're not building them?

I'm a broken record with this, but ride everything you can. Sure, there are pitfalls with demos, but if you like something, you'll know it with certainty and can buy with some confidence.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

have you had a fork/shock rebuild at all?
    1) it needs maintenance at least once a year
    2) you can get it tuned/set up for a lot of changes to effect performance.

FYI: new XT drivetrain is $300ish, suspension work $300 so for under $600 you can get a LOT of stuff re-done on your bike to make it feel better? Worst case you can usually sell the bike more (for about te cost of the new parts that you added)

or go buy the pretty one as well. we ALL like new toys, and if you can afford them, GO FOR IT.

but as you are looking for a "feel" go demo all the bikes first and buy the one that feels right
    The 2014 Trance has 67 degree head angle. Completely unrideable.

FYI: new XT drivetrain is $300ish...t
    1x11? Where?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    1x11? Where?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u.../rp-prod137311

less if you dont need cranks.

Gah. Forgot that only SRAM is XD on 11spd. And of course the warranty wheel they sent me was XD.

I had the suspension redone last month so it's certainly rideable while I demo around. No way I am gonna drop this kind of cash without getting on the bike first. Even if I have to end up spending a few hundred in demo fees, it'll be worth it long term.

Dropped into a few shops today, really seems like they are pushing 29ers big time. Last time I looked around they didn't seem to be quite so popular. I got a little parking lot time on a Kona Process 153 and a Pivot Mach 5.5 XTR. I liked them both, but they both were closer to $6k. I'll probably try to narrow it down to 3 or 4 and demo then and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Loved the Scout I rode, and basically bought one until I didn't. Agreed with funken, very lively bike.
    I demoed the Scout last year for a few days and loved it. I'm a little worried about the slacker geometry on this years model.

That Norco Sight is frigging awesome, i got the 650b option. I came off a Titus El Guapo, and while that chomped on the downhill, it was a bit piggish climbing. The Norco loses nothing on the decent, and climbs like crazy. Horst link bike. Great reviews too.
    Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid

If I were you I'd probably be looking at (from best bang for your buck to 'worst'):

Diamondback Release 5C carbon

Transition Scout (only seeing the aluminum builds for 2018 on their site so far)

Evil Following or Calling (depending on your preference for 29 vs. 27.5 wheels)

I really like a playful, poppy bike and ride a Following, so don't discount a 29" wheel as the designs around them have massively improved of late. Main difference I feel is they won't quite fall over sideways in a corner as well as the smaller wheels, but otherwise I enjoy having 'em.

I know Competitive Cyclist is in SLC and pretty sure runs Evil demos. Not sure about Transition dealers in SLC. REI carries Diamondback, but not sure about demos there.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Another nod to the Scout. I demoed a 2017 and really like it but the pricing was too high in Canada. Also liked the Sight but I ended up on a YT Jeffsy 27.5 (another horst link bike, very progressive/poppy feeling).

My wife has a 2014 Trance 2 with a Fox 32 Evolution and that fork is a piece of shit. The bike is fine for her purposes but I totally get the OP's feelings on how that thing descends. The new Trance is better but still feels meh to me.

This will be my third (fourth really, if you count the fall of 2016) year on a gen. 2 scout (higher bb/shorter cranks than gen 1), and I absolutely love the bike. I have yet to ride someone else's bike that makes me want to change (although my son and I are building up a Chromag for a little variety). I upgraded the wheels to some Ibis 741 and put a CC Inline on. I can't speak to the 2018 ones, but reviews are positive so far.

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    If I were you I'd probably be looking at (from best bang for your buck to 'worst'):

Diamondback Release 5C carbon

Transition Scout (only seeing the aluminum builds for 2018 on their site so far)

Evil Following or Calling (depending on your preference for 29 vs. 27.5 wheels)

I really like a playful, poppy bike and ride a Following, so don't discount a 29" wheel as the designs around them have massively improved of late. Main difference I feel is they won't quite fall over sideways in a corner as well as the smaller wheels, but otherwise I enjoy having 'em.

I know Competitive Cyclist is in SLC and pretty sure runs Evil demos. Not sure about Transition dealers in SLC. REI carries Diamondback, but not sure about demos there.
    You weren’t kidding about the diamondback price. The 5c has a real nice build for a $4k bike. I bit of a heavy bastard at 32 lbs though.

You weren’t kidding about the diamondback price. The 5c has a real nice build for a $4k bike. I bit of a heavy bastard at 32 lbs though.
    And the 4c which is still decent kit and carbon is 2.7K. A set of carbon hoops on the 4c over the 5c build all day in my book. REI stocks the Release which may be able to sit on and move around.

Personally I find the Release climbs pretty well for its weight.

That said -- if you don't get along with VPP suspension, you won't get along with the Release.

And the 4c which is still decent kit and carbon is 2.7K. A set of carbon hoops on the 4c over the 5c build all day in my book. REI stocks the Release which may be able to sit on and move around.

That said -- if you don't get along with VPP suspension, you won't get along with the Release.
    Yeah, I need to swing by REI and at least spin around the lot.

I’d imagine the 4c is a little lighter with fox 34 instead of the 36. By brother also has an unused xt drivetrain he’d sell me for $100. I could swap out the slx for that, and throw on some nice wheels and have a pretty nice trail bike for under $4k

Yeah, I need to swing by REI and at least spin around the lot.

I’d imagine the 4c is a little lighter with fox 34 instead of the 36. By brother also has an unused xt drivetrain he’d sell me for $100. I could swap out the slx for that, and throw on some nice wheels and have a pretty nice trail bike for under $4k
    Be advised - the 34, in my experience, sucks. So much so that I'm strongly considering swapping it out on my new-ish bike ('18 Trance Advanced). Small bump performance is TERRIBLE.

Check out the custom studio: https://custom.diamondback.com/relea...studio#step010

5C, Carbon wheels, Pike and XT kit for less than 5k.

Which version and build of the Trance are you on currently?

I went from a Trance to a v1 Bronson and loved the change, but I get that VPP suspension isn't for everyone and would recommend trying it first for sure. I personally think it offers a nice balance of playfulness and being able to just charge. So much has to do with how you have your suspension setup and I will adjust mine accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Which version and build of the Trance are you on currently?

I went from a Trance to a v1 Bronson and loved the change, but I get that VPP suspension isn't for everyone and would recommend trying it first for sure. I personally think it offers a nice balance of playfulness and being able to just charge. So much has to do with how you have your suspension setup and I will adjust mine accordingly.
    2013 trance 1. I’ve got a buddy who swears by his Santa Cruz Blur I’m gonna ride next time we have warm weather, just to get a feel for the VPP.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    <snip> So much has to do with how you have your suspension setup and I will adjust mine accordingly.
    This.