Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    How hard are they to find these days?

Not too hard,a pair came up in GS last week(I'm not giving up any of my pairs just yet) .... tho' I'm not sure if that's what you really want.

I've had a L120 in my rotation since 2007 and find it very well suited for driving the ski from the front of the boot without any feel of going over the bars or sinking a tip- the pintail works great. Caveat being as long as it is Flex 3 or Pure 3, because I'm only 150 lbs and found the flex2 ones I have fold way too easy with forward pressure. But it is also a very pow specific ski that is not as well suited for mixed hardpack conditions, where some metal would be my choice over carbon. I spend a lot more of my lift served time on the legend pros due to versatility.

The Proto LP, a kastle bmx, Bodacious or something similar might be a better all around "resort" pow ski to fit your skiing.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    You might need to adapt your style to be a bit more centered in pow. Powder is 3 dimensional, which means the tips of any ski will sink if you lean into them hard enough. No ski will make 3D snow feel like 2D.

That said, the asymmetric BG supposedly requires a pretty neutral stance on firmer snow, so I could see why you might not gel with it. You could see if someone will trade you for the pre-asymmetric BGs or you could try another pin tail like the L120. If you don't gel with pintails, you could try a more traditional pow ski, which would behave more like a GS ski on firm snow but the tip might sink more in pow.
    Don't agree, the more you load the tips, the better, perhaps tighter the turns are. And if you're in a narrow couloir, you need to tighten the turns.

Power the tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    OG Bodacious for sure, if you’re man enough in 196 cm.
    But on the other hand, I skied yesterday the Rustler 11 and found it surprisingly capable. Very similar feeling to the Bode, a little bit lower speed limit and a little bit more hooky in funky grabby snow, probably due to the small amount of camber and lower radius. I‘d say a newschooled Bodacious which is not a bad thing if you don’t need to bulldoze everything in your way.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Another Powder Ski Recommendation

Buy my 191 Wrens. They are pretty much bigger, badder Viciks. 114mm underfoot, flat-ish tail, and only 1mm of camber.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Betelgeuse; 03-12-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Funny how dudes recommend always the shit which they wanna get rid of.

Another Powder Ski Recommendation

Funny how dudes recommend always the shit which they wanna get rid of.
    It also fits the type of ski he wants perfectly..

191 wrens are as badass as Pro Riders, but wider and without metal, so they float very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Enforcer 110?

Rustler 11?

Both have metal in the layup and may give you some of the damp, stable feeling you like on the Dynastars.
    No, the shape on those skis are not what he's looking for. Way too much tail rocker.

There is no such thing as enough. Besides, them Pro Riders are taking quite a beating these days. Haven't had that much fun on a ski in a loooong time.

I'll probably sell the BGs in the near-term. I've got a policy of no more than 3 different pairs of non-race skis.

Just trying to figure out what to replace them with.
    I like the pro rider a lot. If you wanted to give the factory a go, I'd let my pair go for pretty cheap. Way more enamored with the Proto (because my skiing style has been radically altered skiing the Billygoat 20+ days this season.) Factory wants to be tip driven hard.

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    I second your idea of the og Bodacious
    OG Bod would be good. Most people didn't like the redesign version though.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    If you want a ski similar to the LP 105 but a bit more playful and better in pow you might look at trying a pair of these- https://armadaskis.com/product/invictus-108-ti/
    I think that's an okay suggestion but narrower than he's looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Spur for sure
    No, it's a new school smeary more centered shape. Both versions.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    You might need to adapt your style to be a bit more centered in pow. Powder is 3 dimensional, which means the tips of any ski will sink if you lean into them hard enough. No ski will make 3D snow feel like 2D.That said, the asymmetric BG supposedly requires a pretty neutral stance on firmer snow, so I could see why you might not gel with it. You could see if someone will trade you for the pre-asymmetric BGs or you could try another pin tail like the L120. If you don't gel with pintails, you could try a more traditional pow ski, which would behave more like a GS ski on firm snow but the tip might sink more in pow.
    5'10-5'11. 150-160 pounds nekkid, so anywhere from 160-170+ w/ gear on. Not big, but young with a history of skiing stiff plants.

I'm 5'10 and 200lbs. I ski pretty dang forward. I ski a lot on proriders and also techy "nerd" skis like 182 Speedzone 12s that require you to ski properly. I can't sink the tips on my 191 billygoats. But on variable snow it took a little adjustment to find the sweet spot. It took me 3 days to get comfortable on my billygoats. You need to learn to ride the shape of the ski instead of the sidecut, and the terrain not the snow. The billygoat is not the ski to bang out a bunch of dolphin turns. Just stand tall on them, aim for point B from point A. More time spent flat base and less time trying to edge. It's really a 3D snow ski and needs to be treated as such. If I know i'll be wanting to ski a bunch of firm groomers or whatever I'll grab something else.

Also, look at the ramp of your bindings. Does it throw you way forward? Are your boots all racer jacked with a bunch of spoilers and shims shoving you forward?

I was wondering about ramp, too.

Big BG fan here but fucking hated how they skied with a large ramp.

Been said already but needs reiterating: BG gets overdriven with an aggressive forward stance. Ramp and boot lean compound it. Embrace the balance point or find another ski.

I've got them mounted with Salomon Wardens, skied with MTN Labs. No spoilers or forward lean adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Been said already but needs reiterating: BG gets overdriven with an aggressive forward stance. Ramp and boot lean compound it. Embrace the balance point or find another ski.
    I remember you calling me out on trying to ski the BG like a wanna be shin mashing racer dork. Once I dealt with the initial sting of being accused of not skiing them properly, and read the underlying message, I really clicked with them.

NYskirat - they aren't your GS skis. are the edges nice and detuned? That's one thing that was throwing me off - the ski was oddly hooky sometimes on steeper terrain with the tip or tail randomly engaging.. Multiple passes with the gummy stone yielded better hard snow performance - which seems counter-intuitive but i think it's because of the multiple sidecut RES thing. Once the skis were a little bit dull I think the multiple turn shapes in the sidecut stopped fighting with each other on firmer snow, making them more of a smear tool on firm snow... but the magic of the shape doesn't get lost in soft stuff. Also they aren't a traditional ski. You need to focus on skiing the entire ski not just the tip. Finally, after around 20 days I can actually making carved turns on them - but it's gotta be done by rolling your ankles and guiding the ski, not pushing in on the tips and letting the ski come around on it own. Totally different thing than the LP. It takes me a little adjustment to jump back and forth between the two skis.

That said, get the ski where it belongs. Soft chop, hot pow, windfunk, PNW goop, Alpental glop, Mount Hood schmoo in tight trees, steep flutes, pillow lines, little funky chutes, open little wind lips that lead in to little mandatory stump jumps in to off angle wind affect double fall line glades and you might have a better time.

The og Bodacious is not what you’re looking for. The full rocker doesn’t let you drive the tips hard like you want.

The factory 117 seems to be a perfect fit, especially because you love the legend pro so much.

I was wondering about ramp, too.

Big BG fan here but fucking hated how they skied with a large ramp.

The biggest surprise I had regarding my SuperGoats was how centered I had to ski it when compared to my Pro Riders. There are times when I'm riding the SGs that I feel like I can't pressure the tongues of my boots because it puts me in the wrong position on the ski. I think a lot of that is due to the ramp angle. They're mounted with P18s with no toe shim. If I put the shim under the toe it should help alleviate my issues.

Perhaps, but the pivots are pretty flat already... 5mm delta, right? I like em without shims but I admit to never trying them fully flat.

It's just a shape that requires the pilot to back off the pressure. Only the back half of the ski has trad sidecut! The RES tips cut the pow and chop like butter, but they'll hook up and carve harder than you're ready for if they get leaned on, especially if they're overly sharp. That maneuverability for a big ski is exactly what makes them such wicked soft snow tool.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    The og Bodacious is not what you’re looking for. The full rocker doesn’t let you drive the tips hard like you want.
    I beg to differ... I'd say the low "full" rocker will mainly be noticed with flat skis on a hard surface. The instant the edges are engaged or if the surface is the least soft, the tips can be driven quite hard. In shallow soft snow they can be skied just like GS skis on piste.

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    I beg to differ... I'd say the low "full" rocker will mainly be noticed with flat skis on a hard surface. The instant the edges are engaged or if the surface is the least soft, the tips can be driven quite hard. In shallow soft snow they can be skied just like GS skis on piste.
    To be precise, Bodacious is rocker-flat-rocker, no full rocker. The tips of the Bodacious can be driven as hard as any other race room construction ski with two sheets of metal and traditional mount.

To be precise, Bodacious is rocker-flat-rocker, no full rocker. The tips of the Bodacious can be driven as hard as any other race room construction ski with two sheets of metal and traditional mount.
    How are the tails?

OG Spur if you want a directional ski

New Spur if you want a playful pow stick

193 Volkl Shiro if you want to just have fun shredding pow

The tails are almost flat with a very subtle rocker. If you’re after the plush ride of a heavy metal charger, the OG Bode is the powder equivalent of your Legend Pro Rider.

Only the back half of the ski has trad sidecut!
    I think this point is occasional missed. When you flex the ski, you are basically artificially creating a sidecut radius with the traditional tail shape. If you overdrive the ski, you will lose any semblance of turn shape through the ski's effective edge and they will wander. You want to ski them fast, but over the balls of your feet. If you are out over your toes there isn't enough flex throughout the ski's effective edge to hold a shape to your turn.

One of the reasons we added the Wrenegade 114 is to have an option for people who just want to drive their tips all the time.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    I think this point is occasional missed. When you flex the ski, you are basically artificially creating a sidecut radius with the traditional tail shape. If you overdrive the ski, you will lose any semblance of turn shape through the ski's effective edge and they will wander. You want to ski them fast, but over the balls of your feet. If you are out over your toes there isn't enough flex throughout the ski's effective edge to hold a shape to your turn.

One of the reasons we added the Wrenegade 114 is to have an option for people who just want to drive their tips all the time.
    Does the wren 114 have the magic pivot/drift in powder thing that the RES offers?

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    The biggest surprise I had regarding my SuperGoats was how centered I had to ski it when compared to my Pro Riders. There are times when I'm riding the SGs that I feel like I can't pressure the tongues of my boots because it puts me in the wrong position on the ski. I think a lot of that is due to the ramp angle. They're mounted with P18s with no toe shim. If I put the shim under the toe it should help alleviate my issues.
    That's interesting as I had none of that issue when I rode yours. In the deeper chop I was able to pressure the shins and blast through that shit. Coming down under chair 3 in the little bit of chop there I could ski more neutral and just rage a giant slarve down the fall line. I personally like the shape, rocker profile, stiffness of the stiff SG over my 191's. They don't want to plow like my 191's. Yes I've adjusted my stance, I own ProTest and the stance is very similar to them.
    On groomers both can tail a carve, just tip the ski on edge and stand on it. I find it interesting that so many find it hard to figure out. It just seems so intuitive, esp when looking at the shape, of how it needs to be skied.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Does the wren 114 have the magic pivot/drift in powder thing that the RES offers?
    I don't think much does.

I don't think much does.
    Who at On3p came up with RES?

there are some used praxis powders at tahoe sports hub's consignment room....

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Who at On3p came up with RES?
    I have always designed all our skis.

RES = one of my college garage ski building goals come to fruition. I spent a lot of time on a Spatula & Igneous FFF. I wanted them combined. RES was the result.

Edit to add: Obviously I didn't figure it out in college. It took awhile and obviously something that is still in progress as we work on ways to improve it.

I have always designed all our skis.
    Name:  f5la4LP.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  88.9 KB