Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    I didn’t read the entire thread. Why didn’t you just warranty them? You shouldn’t have to do anything other than detune as you see fit on a new pair of skis, certainly not a base grind.
    I’m not the original owner. I bought them from a guy who “skied them one day and didn’t like them”. He wasn’t an industry guy so just I assumed he just didn’t know what he wanted. Having skied them in their original tune I no longer doubt he had a bad day.

I can’t blame Moment for anything going on not knowing the full history. The epoxy residue on the edges is strange and it really seemed like the edge bevel was never properly set but It could be something or someone along the way who messed them up.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    OP said concave base , I had skis with concave bases, I could do it by hand which was gona take a lotta work OR get it ground, they were doing 1/2 price stone grinds so I got it ground, ended up with a flat base,

So do you try to make a ski base flat by hand or take advantage of a machine?

I'm talking about flattening a base and you are on about edges
    Dude, fucking read what I wrote.
    Not once did I say anything about removing base material at home.
    I was answering the OP's question on what needed to be done.
    YOU went off on the grind situation and flattening--that was you dude!
    I was offering the least intrusive way to handle it first and then move on from there and low and behold, base bevels, just like I said to check first.
    Douche.
    So I learned:
    Youre a dramatic bitch
    You suck as a troubleshooting ski tech
    You need to seriously work on reading comprehension, cuz your reactions make you look like a dramatic bitch
    Youre a know it all that don't know shit

XXXer--- Hey man, sorry about that ^^^. Here is what I wrote, 4th post in this very thread. Pretty simple, man

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I would reset bevels first, deburr em real good, then detune. If they still don';t feel right, then grind em.

ya so as i pointed out I was speaking to OP's concern about concave bases and my experiance with same was to use the machine, I also was concerned I would lose a bunch of ski but the computer did it all perfectly which was great cuz the shop rats were fucking useless having forgot to do my skis twice

you on the other hand seem to have chosen to act like a cunt ( as oposed to just being a cunt ) right from the git go, did your wife hit you or something ?

In any case I accept your apology and urge you to pay it forward and be nice to someone tomorrow

I am happy the OP has solved his problem or SFT
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Classy! You would think a dude that was wrong would have a little humility. And you're calling me a cunt.
    You made it sound like wielding a file and stone for 10 minutes each ski was a huge hrs long undertaking that'll have you slaving away in the basement. I called bullshit. Somehow you tried to turn it into 'flattening bases w/file'. Like anybody is going to do that dude. WTF? No really, dude. WTF? Somehow how facts eluded your understanding! Then in fact, an actual fucking ski tech(which I'm positive you never were), did exactly as I suggested. What you are also failing to understand is I got what you said the first time. No need to reiterate--again. Rebevel, deburr,detune is standard troubleshooting for skis in OP's condition( without actually seeing of course). Then grind, if necessary

Hesitant to jump in the stew pot, but here goes!

MY approach would have been the same as tuco's. That being said, if someone wants to jump straight to a grind without some upfront diligence it's their skis so I guess they can do what they want but it seems counter productive to me to just automatically start with a grind.

i actualy suggested you were acting like a cunt which would be a different thing,

people are wrong on tgr all the time at which point a polite disagreement might ensue or a suggestion of a better way

as opposed to a personal attack

you don't get to act like a cunt without somebody calling you on your shit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Huh, I kinda thought you were being a cunt actually! I reciprocated! You know, like calling you on your shit when your acting like a cunt(You're welcome)! You obviously lack self awareness. I gave you a little ribbing over your hrs long comment and you turned bitch! Didn't t you see the smiley?
    Yeah, they are. All of us. I wasn't interested in being right. You said what I suggested would take hrs, be 1/2 assed and you could do a better job dragging them behind your truck! Lack of self awareness much?
    You should have just apologized for your own cuntiness and let it go!

After getting the base bevel set to 1degree they ski fantastic. The ‘catchy’ feeling is 100% gone they feel loose and fun now. It’s a dramtic difference so I’m pretty well convinced the edge bevel was never set...

I have two days on them now and I’m pretty stoked. I’ll post a review after a handful more days on them. Super unique ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    After getting the base bevel set to 1degree they ski fantastic. The ‘catchy’ feeling is 100% gone they feel loose and fun now. It’s a dramtic difference so I’m pretty well convinced the edge bevel was never set...

I have two days on them now and I’m pretty stoked. I’ll post a review after a handful more days on them. Super unique ski.
    Good to hear! I like your tech for not selling you something you did not need, although he did receive a mediocre job performance review from Thom @ galiber design

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post

I remember buying some brand new Atomic Beta Ride R:EX skis back in the day because i liked the color of the topsheets and they were discounted to 150 bucks. The bases were railed to the moon. This was before I had any sort of ski tech savy. Couldn't ski em fresh outta plastic due to hook and wander. Soo, did a detune of tips, didn't do fuck all. Had em ground. Same problems. Was gonna burn em out of anger but ended up talking to some guy who knew some shit and had some intimate knowledge of the ski. Said that you can't flatten bases with the grind cause due to the construction/materials of the ski (i think foam core/cap construction) the heat produced by grinding just kept the ski warped and/or rewarped the ski after heating/cooling. I said that's fucked up. He said yeah, but the solution is just focus on either light grind or manual filing and flatten bases about 1cm in from the edges, that makes em ski exactly like a flat base, ski racer tested....said that's what the racers on atomic skis did... (unconfirmed by talking to any world cup or lesser than racers)

Also, like Tuco said, base edge bevel.

Newish tech tip that i got about base bevels that really gives a bit of extra little bit of shine to the looser feel and non catchiness to all my skis in the fleet was to work the base edge bevel into the base a few mm's. I like it.

So I did all of the above and it restored about 80 percent of the normalcy of what a ski should feel like but the remaining 20 percent was that the skis were inherently wrong for me and chattered on hard snow/ice (unresolved with various different tunes and talking other folks on em, had same problem), hooked in crust and slab, skied like 2 X 4s in moguls, almost inverse rockered low profile tips speared moguls, dove in powder and bottom fed under breakable crust. Tip/shovel even less traditional than traditional non rockered old skewl skis; and too stiff longitudinally and torsionaly, imo.

Bought in the 184ish length and i weighed 190+ pounds at the time skiing with a 15 pound pack mostly.

Traded em for a pair of custom footbeds. Was happy as a clam.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    I remember buying some brand new Atomic Beta Ride R:EX skis back in the day because i liked the color of the topsheets and they were discounted to 150 bucks. The bases were railed to the moon. This was before I had any sort of ski tech savy. Couldn't ski em fresh outta plastic due to hook and wander. Soo, did a detune of tips, didn't do fuck all. Had em ground. Same problems. Was gonna burn em out of anger but ended up talking to some guy who knew some shit and had some intimate knowledge of the ski. Said that you can't flatten bases with the grind cause due to the construction/materials of the ski (i think foam core/cap construction) the heat produced by grinding just kept the ski warped and/or rewarped the ski after heating/cooling. I said that's fucked up. He said yeah, but the solution is just focus on either light grind or manual filing and flatten bases about 1cm in from the edges, that makes em ski exactly like a flat base, ski racer tested....said that's what the racers on atomic skis did... (unconfirmed by talking to any world cup or lesser than racers)

Also, like Tuco said, base edge bevel.

Newish tech tip that i got about base bevels that really gives a bit of extra little bit of shine to the looser feel and non catchiness to all my skis in the fleet was to work the base edge bevel into the base a few mm's. I like it.

So I did all of the above and it restored about 80 percent of the normalcy of what a ski should feel like but the remaining 20 percent was that the skis were inherently wrong for me and chattered on hard snow/ice (unresolved with various different tunes and talking other folks on em, had same problem), hooked in crust and slab, skied like 2 X 4s in moguls, almost inverse rockered low profile tips speared moguls, dove in powder and bottom fed under breakable crust. Tip/shovel even less traditional than traditional non rockered old skewl skis; and too stiff longitudinally and torsionaly, imo.

Bought in the 184ish length and i weighed 190+ pounds at the time skiing with a 15 pound pack mostly.

Traded em for a pair of custom footbeds. Was happy as a clam.
    I can see how flattening for perhaps 15-20mm from each edge would work - kinda like a variant of old school skis that had a groove running down the center. You could look at this as a tuning variant vs. right/wrong ... might be a good thing to do with skis that wander a bit when straight-lining.

I also found myself working the bevel into the base by 1 to 1.5mm - quite by accident. I put a bit too much trust in my SVST base beveling guide - that it stops at the base. I used to mark the edge with a Sharpie pen and when the ink was all gone, I knew the bevel was complete.

The last time I used the tool, I said "screw it with the Sharpie". I then noticed the file marks working into the structure of the base. These were skis that I was still trying to dial in (a new pair of Quixotes), so I can't say for certain that I like the extra bevel or whether there's no change, because I'm not even sure that out of the wrapper, they had a 1 degree bevel to compare against.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music