Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lacrosse 2018

Lacrosse 2018

Watching #1 Albany and #2 Maryland live.

Maryland looking like the better team in the 2nd. Up 6-2

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Cool I didn't know it was on (it's on BTN if anyone's looking). I know a couple kids on Maryland, and a couple other schools but the kids my son graduated with are redshirt seniors (if they redshirted) so that connection's coming to an end but it's been fun. His good buddy John Kelly is captain at Ohio State (not sure if he's the only captain), it's gonna suck rooting for Ohio State but I'll do it.

Albany's a cool team, the Native connection is strong there these days, they've taken a lot of that away from syracuse, good for them. The kid Nanticoke is a beast. Maryland has a kid from Sandy Utah though, which is cool.

Halftime now, oh well. In other news, Loni Anderson was just on a commercial, she looks pretty good for 72, hell I didn't even know she was still alive.
    Last edited by iceman; 03-10-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Cool I didn't know it was on (it's on BTN if anyone's looking). I know a couple kids on Maryland, and a couple other schools but the kids my son graduated with are redshirt seniors (if they redshirted) so that connection's coming to an end but it's been fun. His good buddy John Kelly is captain at Ohio State (not sure if he's the only captain), it's gonna suck rooting for Ohio State but I'll do it.

Halftime now, oh well. In other news, Loni Anderson was just on a commercial, she looks pretty good for 72, hell I didn't even know she was still alive.
    Your kid didn’t play in college too?

Maryland with the better defense or goalie at this point. Where is that high powered Albany offense?

He played at Holy Cross but then they got a new coach who didn't like him and he got cut (along with more than half the previous year's team including bunch of seniors). Then they changed their minds and tried to get him to come back but he'd already signed up for a year abroad so he said fukkit and went to Spain as planned. It all worked out, Holy Cross continues to suck and the kid's back in Spain now getting a masters through Middlebury.

Albany kicking into gear now.

edit: but here come the Terps

10-10
    That was quick

The old politics thing on team sports

Tie ball game 10-10 2:10 to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    The old politics thing on team sports
    It was kind of crazy - as a freshman he split time with Ben Williams, who transferred to Syracuse and was an All-American there. Sophomore year Williams was at Syracuse and my kid was off the team at HC. Bitter? Me? Naaahhh.

But shit that's basically the only reason he went there, HC was the best school that played D1 lax and recruited him, venn diagram shit. 4 years of Worcester. Well 3 in Worcester and 1 in Spain.

Dang. Nice win Albany.

Back to hoops we go.

It was kind of crazy - as a freshman he split time with Ben Williams, who transferred to Syracuse and was an All-American there. Sophomore year Williams was at Syracuse and my kid was off the team at HC. Bitter? Me? Naaahhh.

But shit that's basically the only reason he went there, HC was the best school that played D1 lax and wanted him, venn diagram shit. 4 years of Worcester. Well 3 in Worcester and 1 in Spain.
    Albany with the surge at the end to win it.

DU - Notre Dame up next on ESPN

Sounds crazy with the pedigree and proven playing time for your kid, But between playing soccer and lax I’ve heard more than a couple similar stories. New coach comes in and has his own set of recruits and favorites. Many other stories where good players come to a school but weren’t recruited and didn’t get a shot. The reality is that team sports are as much politics as athletics.

Bet he rocked the bonitas in Spain though and is now close to fluente.

I think I just had to get that out of my system, sorry. Start of what might have been my kid's last season and all. It has all worked out fine but it still irks me when I think about it. Yeah he's all the way fluent now, the girls love him and he skis good as shit, it's all good. My kid took faceoffs, the rules changed before his sophomore year and the new coach decided "the position is obsolete". A direct quote. Yeah no, there's still faceoff guys and for the past 3 years HC hasn't had one. Tough luck for them I guess.

A little sidelight, the NCAA changed the rules on faceoffs because of Chris Hampton at Denver - another former teammate of my kid. Chris was too good so they changed the sport.

Maybe watch for Brendan Collins on ND in this game, another kid I know, he's had some troubles but he's an unbelievable physical talent, never seen anybody break ankles with direction changes the way he can. In high school it was pretty routine for kids covering him to literally end up on their asses watching him go by.

I think I just had to get that out of my system, sorry. Start of what might have been my kid's last season and all. It has all worked out fine but it still irks me when I think about it. Yeah he's all the way fluent now, the girls love him and he skis good as shit, it's all good. My kid took faceoffs, the rules changed before his sophomore year and the new coach decided "the position is obsolete". A direct quote. Yeah no, there's still faceoff guys and for the past 3 years HC hasn't had one. Tough luck for them I guess.

A little sidelight, the NCAA changed the rules on faceoffs because of Chris Hampton at Denver - another former teammate of my kid. Chris was too good so they changed the sport.
    C’est la vie. Sounds like they lost out. Transferring was never an option for him? I guess the Spain thing supplanted that possibility.

Denver getting schooled so far 1-5

My kid was backup lax goalie at Cornell but left the team for club rugby. He liked the idea of a beer keg on the sidelines. When I asked him what job his position had he told me his was "not getting hurt".
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

He thought about transferring a little but he had Spain lined up and a girlfriend at HC and he just let it go by.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    My was backup lax goalie at Cornell but left the team for club rugby. He liked the idea of a beer keg on the sidelines and told me his position was "not getting hurt".
    ha, that's what I did with football in college, the rugby team craftily had a keg party on the field where we had to walk back from football practice...so I played two weeks of college football!

Skiing was my draw away from the college lax program when they had Saturday mandatory practices even when no games...uh no.

I majored in part time jobs and fraternity. No time for college sports.

Lacrosse 2018

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I majored in part time jobs and fraternity. No time for college sports.
    Yeah I supposed that factored in to it too. Practice every night = no time for PT job = little spare $ for lift tickets and beer

Yeah I think it's close to impossible to go to school, work and play a sport at a high level and succeed. I'm sure plenty of people have done it, maybe even some here, but what a grind.

My kid never skied more than 5 times all through college. I heading out now to his place 20 minutes away and a couple hundred yards from the lift to ski with the kids. It worked out for me.

Luv me some college lax, but the B's were playing the Blackhawks this afternoon which took precedence, and with a 4 goal, come-from-behind, 3rd period win, I think it was a good decision.

Nice, I thought they played tonight, I didn't even look this afternoon. I watched the Flyers game Thursday, that was sweet.

Goddangit! I just saw the score from UofA-UMD. I dropped the DVR-ball. Arrrgggghh! Nanticoke looks like he got shut out today, but he's still the coolest.

Wait, what? Did Chris Hampton's dad tell you that?
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

haha, no go back to 2014, when Denver lost to Duke in the semis, Chris had this whole thing where he carried the ball on the back of his stick out of the faceoff, and the whole pinch, pop and carry thing, and people went crazy, saying all kinds of shit like it was against the spirit of the game, they thought it was cheating, and on and on. By the next year they totally revamped the faceoff rules. It didn't really matter for Chris since Denver had recruited Baptiste, who was better than Chris anyways, but that's what happened. I say it's a direct connection, you may see it differently.
    Last edited by iceman; 03-11-2018 at 08:27 AM.