Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    50mph is no big deal for an upper advanced to expert skier or boarder on higher end equipment, but it is fast.

Keep in mind, the "ski tracks" app regularly overestimates your max speed by 20%, so if it's clocking you at 50+ mph, you're somewhere in the 40ish mph range.
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 03-14-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Name:  geo.jpeg
Views: 1527
Size:  16.7 KB
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I enjoyed reading this thread. It's not quite as funny as that guy who lost his pistol a few years ago, but it's early days yet.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Well, I went for a 10 meter ride, swam out of it, then was a bit irate with the causers above me (Hamburger Traverse, Throne Bowl).

Despite the apropos, I should not have called them 'fucking idiots'. I did request they look to see if anyone is on the traverse before skiing down (it's visible).
    No warning, no yelling, no spotter just send a good size slough down onto a controlled area.

If they had been any good, they would have preceded their slough.

I was blamed for being 'situationally unaware' while the causers claimed no fault.

?

Crustal patrol singularly uninterested in my previous report of stuff running pretty big in the Throne. I was informed by a pro that's why they have 'avalanche prone' signs.

Good skiing. Weird people.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    ... If they had been any good, they would have preceded their slough.
    QFT; and for being funny.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    50mph is no big deal for an upper advanced to expert skier or boarder on higher end equipment, but it is fast.

Keep in mind, the "ski tracks" app regularly overestimates your max speed by 20%, so if it's clocking you at 50+ mph, you're somewhere in the 40ish mph range.
    Just curios why you think that? I set my iphone next to my 2017 Tacoma speedometer with ski tracks recording and it’s within 2-3 mph at all speeds. I wondered how accurate it was also when I first downloaded it, and that was the best comparison I could think up.

The difference is the slope angle between a road & a run. Apparently that causes an erroneous reading. I've check mine even on the chair which read 10mph. Seems legit. In any case it's not a bfd.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I thought gps accounts for lateral/horizontal movement and vertical movement when calculating speed?

50 isnt hard to hit. Straight down and tucked and you'll be there in a couple seconds depending on snow. It's more of being able to constantly ski at 50 that is hard. Slight edging from side to side hill help prevent catching an edge when riding straight. Usually only hit 50 on the straight away groomers where my buddys decide to race to the lift. It's a good time...

Make money. Buy toys.

Well there's always some error in measuring anything.

Unless your CoM is over your BoS and your skeletally aligned from your BoF to the Tibia at 50, your going to have a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Unless your CoM is over your BoS and your skeletally aligned from your BoF to the...
    I have no idea what you are talking about

Make money. Buy toys.

It's just bs. CoM-Center of Mass, BoS-Base of Support. Blah blah blah... Just ski have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdog325 View Post
    I thought gps accounts for lateral/horizontal movement and vertical movement when calculating speed?
    Consumer GPS is generally far more accurate horizontally than vertically.

Speed kills - collisions #RideAnotherDay

Yeah I don’t think it matters if you’re going 51 or 47, don’t bomb groomers with kids everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

straightlining laramie is too sweet

i did get a talking to by jackson patroller for straightlining on an empty run, i told him im from the great north woods and im here to ski, hes like thats not even where the good snow is and im like im just skiing here ok
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

looks like ya took my collision thread to the next level. Good on ya !
    the only time I take it to 50 mph is in an empty bowl where I know I can get let it fly without hurting anyone but myself.
    race tracks are the place for race cars. Know the code
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

On good gear it may be easy for an advanced skier to hit 50. Avoiding collisions at that speed is another thing entirely. Being upright =/= being in control.
    Full frontal collision with tree at 20MPH = death. (The newspaper will report that you were or weren't wearing a helmet, even though you died of a torn aorta.)

^^^ Ain’t that the truth, no matter what the person dies from, they always report if he was wearing a helmet or not.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Just saw the video for the first time on another forum. Really put a lump in my throat. Experienced skiers know when it's safe to go wide open, speed wise. Hot Doggin' hacks in crowded areas should be yanked off the hill.

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

And yeah, for a good skier, 50 is cake..
    The one radar day I did with Endless at Snowbird I remember 50 was really no big deal, but it was a MF trying to break 70 inbounds w/no suit.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    The one radar day I did with Endless at Snowbird I remember 50 was really no big deal, but it was a MF trying to break 70 inbounds w/no suit.
    Yeah, that's been my experience as well. 50 is easy. 60 needs either a steep run or a tuck. Much over 70 usually involved drafting. Good wax and fast snow would make 70 pretty do-able on a steep run.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Good wax and fast snow would make 70 pretty do-able on a steep run.
    tell those 7 year olds to watch the fuck out amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    tell those 7 year olds to watch the fuck out amirite?
    Obviously. They should be in school, anyways.

Saw 70mph max speed on my Garmin 60csx down the Saddle at Whistler. Required a tuck, some gs’ish skis, cold bluebird day, early morning fresh grooming, no traffic. Was about 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    On good gear it may be easy for an advanced skier to hit 50. Avoiding collisions at that speed is another thing entirely. Being upright =/= being in control.
    Full frontal collision with tree at 20MPH = death. (The newspaper will report that you were or weren't wearing a helmet, even though you died of a torn aorta.)
    Nail on the head
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    Just saw the video for the first time on another forum. Really put a lump in my throat. Experienced skiers know when it's safe to go wide open, speed wise. Hot Doggin' hacks in crowded areas should be yanked off the hill.

Damn, do not watch that at work if you have kids.

Sure you can hit 50mph straight-lining a groomer in normal ski gear pretty easily if you don't turn, but you cannot safely ski 50mph on a crowded slope and only stumblefuck morons would attempt it. The most frustrating thing is the people that try to go fast on crowded slopes are always backseat hip turning hacks... racers are not typically that stupid, and if they are at least they can turn, shut it down and predict what is happening in front of them.

I'll also agree 70+ without a speed suit is pretty unlikely unless you are tucking a steep slope. I never raced a proper DH course but did hit 75mph tucking the outrun of a 90m ski jump and it feels fucking fast.

but 70+ without a speed suit