Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Got the info from Marmot today and have been looking at various road trip options since. Most seem to be holiday blackout and Saturday as the only no - free day (50% off).

Sugar Bowl is in on this now too...

Which for those of you outside of CA should know, is highly underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Sugar Bowl is in on this now too...

Which for those of you outside of CA should know, is highly underrated.
    Sugar bowl sucks. Go ski Squaw instead, especially on powder days.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I forgot that part! Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I forgot that part! Good point.
    Especially for the easy parking at Squaw. Nobody goes there on weekend pow days, it's kind of a hidden thing.

Don't tell anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Especially for the easy parking at Squaw. Nobody goes there on weekend pow days, it's kind of a hidden thing.

Don't tell anyone.
    The best thing about a Squaw powder day are all the volunteers that get there at the crack of dawn to get up the lift before to make the moguls for you. It is the best group of helpful people ever. At most other resorts you are forced to make your own moguls. Fuck that.

Wish the PA allowed Saturdays. Getting tired of Vail closing KIrkwood so early and would consider switching to a Sierra at Tahoe pass if we could use the pass at partner resorts on weekends, having a 1st grader and being married to a HS teacher. Oh well, back to Fail we go.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    The best thing about a Squaw powder day are all the volunteers that get there at the crack of dawn to get up the lift before to make the moguls for you. It is the best group of helpful people ever. At most other resorts you are forced to make your own moguls. Fuck that.

Wish the PA allowed Saturdays. Getting tired of Vail closing KIrkwood so early and would consider switching to a Sierra at Tahoe pass if we could use the pass at partner resorts on weekends, having a 1st grader and being married to a HS teacher. Oh well, back to Fail we go.
    That might be changing for next season. The way I’m reading it it sounds like next season is for free days Mon-Fri and half price on weekends (with holiday blackouts) Last season a few of the resorts (Angel Fire, Kiroro, and maybe a few others didn’t have Saturday blackouts.

Strongly considering jumping on this. The weekday thing is kind of double edged sword. I ski weekdays when I can anyway so kind of pushes that agenda, but the flexibility would be nice.

Mntlion let me know if you hit loveland soon.

Dobe, sent you a pm

Quote Originally Posted by Vets View Post
    It looks like AZ Snowbowl is leaving the Powder Alliance.
    Here is a link to their pass for next year:
    https://www.snowbowl.ski/season-passes/
    Their FAQs:
    https://www.snowbowl.ski/season-pass-faqs/
    Which includes the following
    Additional Benefits

Q: What benefits come on my season pass?
    A: It depends on which pass your purchase. Pass benefits are summarized on the Season Pass page. For our current list of 3 FREE Days partners and their restrictions for Power Passes click here and for all Snowbowl Senior Passes click here. We’re working hard to grow our season pass partnerships!
    Q: Will my pass include the Powder Alliance?
    A: No, although many resorts that were on the Powder Alliance are now on the Power Pass!
    Power Pass partners page:
    https://www.snowbowl.ski/the-mountai...ower-partners/

I hope that the Powder Alliance can fill this void. Arizona Snowbowl was fun when I skied there.

You need to sample the touring during a big year. the moisture train has been rolling through so far like we haven't seen in an October since 2004, the mountain saw over 500 inches that season. If you get it with a big base and during a calm cycle when all aspects are firing and it's stable it's hard to beat for side-country/ BC touring access. Even on the biggest years that sort of window might only be for a few weeks but man, you all should see it when it's on like that.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Any updates on 18/19 powder alliance?

Oh yeah. I haven’t even thought of the alliance in awhile. Solid offering.

Bought my Loveland pass for road trips

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Bought my Loveland pass for road trips
    Holla when you're down here.

We need help bootpacking the ridge early season.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I live ~50min from Loveland, and after 2 seasons with its pass did something dumb and got Epic/RMSP+ this year.

Fuck that. I'm back to Loveland next year, and have already been mapping out a 2 week road trip with $0 pass cost and $0 lodging costs thanks to the van. A couple big days of driving to start and end, plus potentially a day or two of touring thrown in there.

https://goo.gl/maps/kBJ2QU3VPBC2
    if the conditions are good, add castle to that list.

if the conditions are good, add castle to that list.
    Given I just booked 2 weeks of skiing/ski touring in Euro land...we'll see if I can swing time to get that far north this year.

I have a guest room in Salida/Monarch for those who would reciprocate at their mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    I have a guest room in Salida/Monarch for those who would reciprocate at their mtns.
    might take you up on that depending where the trip (snow) takes me

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    You need to sample the touring during a big year. the moisture train has been rolling through so far like we haven't seen in an October since 2004, the mountain saw over 500 inches that season. If you get it with a big base and during a calm cycle when all aspects are firing and it's stable it's hard to beat for side-country/ BC touring access. Even on the biggest years that sort of window might only be for a few weeks but man, you all should see it when it's on like that.
    I think a lot of people are scared off by the sharks they see on the frontside lifts at snowbowl. I agree, the inner basin has some pretty sweet options on the peaks.The powder alliance had a lot of good options for mountains w/ pretty good sidecountry. Sad to see Crested Butte go.

Quote Originally Posted by ghonhee View Post
    I think a lot of people are scared off by the sharks they see on the frontside lifts at snowbowl. I agree, the inner basin has some pretty sweet options on the peaks.The powder alliance had a lot of good options for mountains w/ pretty good sidecountry. Sad to see Crested Butte go.
    Yup, the access up to the ridge can be downright awful a lot of years. Our skin tracks up the front side can be um...... interesting to say the least. We often use our hands to grab boulders and trunks while skinning to get up and over rock and vertical wind lip cruxes. Seriously though, you can't be a racer-ski tune snob and tour here 99% of the time.

The last few good years though (not last season of course) the bowl filled in big enough for a lot of solid touring up through the front bowls and the impaling forest (has that name for good reason btw.)

And then there are those magical few weeks during every big year where your options are in every direction. South side has the epic mid to lower angle trees, to the north west you have Allison Clay and then there's the Basin too. I've been here for 16 years now and those sorts of cycles are few and far between but dang they are something special to experience.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

might take you up on that depending where the trip (snow) takes me

Loveland pass arrived:

road trip planning in place:

Central/southern:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mona...35.8950144!3e0

and

Canada and the coast:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Silv...d35.330886!3e0

and
    Rocky mountains:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cast...!2d45.0054!3e0

I've got a place at Castle from Jan 3 to Mar 21. Happy to put a mag or 2 up. Midweek works best as mrsGfromT is working hard during the week supporting her lazy manwhore.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Loveland pass arrived:

road trip planning in place:

Central/southern:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mona...35.8950144!3e0

and

Canada and the coast:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Silv...d35.330886!3e0

and
    Rocky mountains:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cast...!2d45.0054!3e0
    All that and you forgot Loveland

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    All that and you forgot Loveland
    oh ya. that too

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    I'm not sure if this has been posted somewhere on the forums. Angel Fire offers a $99 Teachers Season Pass. This is a full pass with no blackouts and it includes Powder Alliance benefits too. Here is a link:
    https://www.angelfireresort.com/activities/winter-activities/skiing-and-snowboarding/season-passes/
    (The price is $99 until December 13th. It goes up to $199 after that.)

that's awesome