Protest vs Cham 127

Ok, not exactly apples-to-apples. But the deal is: I'm thinking Protest for my big powder ski - sounds about perfect (but I'd have to wait until next season, as they're sold out of all but 177's now). But for a lot less $$$, I can get on some Cham 127's. Sounds like a ski I'd like, and the blast-through anything aspect sounds awesome. Only thing: will the Chams suck in tight trees (in powder - would only have these out on big-big days)? Either ski does not have to be super versatile, but it will need to be quick enough to whip through the trees.

Me: 190#, 5'10", strong skier. Colorado. Last ski purchased: 190 Moment Blister Pro (same as Bibby). Absolutely loving those: blast through crud nicely, but totally quick enough in the trees.

Anybody think I'd like/dislike the Cham 127?

Easy, ProTest FTMFW.

I skied on the Cham 127 for a few years. It's more like a really fat GPO or Billygoat from the binding forward. From the binding back it's an old school Dynastar charger with a very flat, very stiff tail. Has a lot of metal in the ski as well. Very damp and very good edge grip for a ski that wide. They are a pretty good ski but if you get back on that tail at all they're gonna take you for a real serious ride. They like a more traditional turn shape. They will drift but you need to keep them pointed down the fall line. Do you like the feel of skis like the Legend Pro Rider or Head Monster 108? Have you ever wished for a powder version of those skis? If so, you'll probably like these.

I had some good days on them, including a 40+" day. Downsides are the weight and the lack of tail rocker, which can make them a real handful in tight spots. But I never felt a lack of float or stability.

If you want a Protest but want something the Lithic Guthrie 120 might be worth a look. Very similar ski.

[QUOTE=If you want a Protest but want something the Lithic Guthrie 120 might be worth a look. Very similar ski.[/QUOTE]

I know it was talked about, but was a tgr discount ever figured out? Any more info in regards to Guthrie vs protest. Guthrie just skinnier? Was planning on 192 protest during the custom sale.

Simple:

Order protests during the spring custom sale which is right around the corner.

If you've got bibbys you can get through the rest of the season in CO just fine while they make you sick protests over summer.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Simple:

Order protests during the spring custom sale which is right around the corner.

If you've got bibbys you can get through the rest of the season in CO just fine while they make you sick protests over summer.
    Do you know when that goes down (at least typically)? And how discounted are they? $1300 (standard custom price) is a fckload of cash.

I can't remember exactly how much off, but something like 35%? Maybe a bit more once you add referral discounts etc.

If you're scoping 187s then there is a pair for $640 in the discount section.

Last year it was 50%.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

this year it'll be 50% off again, according to the email

Custom Protest at around $500-600. Boom.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    this year it'll be 50% off again, according to the email

Custom Protest at around $500-600. Boom.
    Oh -- yep:

"ANNUAL CUSTOM ORDER SALE STARTS 3/25
    I know it sounds crazy but we are going to do it again.That’s right, 50% off on our custom skis! Look for new updates to the custom order menu. The custom pre order sale starts March 25th.

www.praxisskis.com/custom-skis/ "

Oh -- yep:

"ANNUAL CUSTOM ORDER SALE STARTS 3/25
    I know it sounds crazy but we are going to do it again.That’s right, 50% off on our custom skis! Look for new updates to the custom order menu. The custom pre order sale starts March 25th.

www.praxisskis.com/custom-skis/ "
    Hopefully they do free veneers again.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Hopefully they do free veneers again.
    X2

Early custom discount sounds great! One question though...

Is this (Protest) really the big day ski I'm after? Sounds like so, but wondering if it is too overlapped with the Bibby's (actually Blisters, whatevs). 10mm wider waist, but just slightly narrower tips and tails.

How different are Bibbys vs Protests? Do I really need both?

Once again: loving the 190 Blisters, looking for a more pow-specific, big-big day ski (but not willing to go full retard, w/ reverse sidecut/camber) - would probably be looking at a 192 Protest (other custom options TBD).

EDIT: scratch the 192 I guess - custom protest page has 189 as longest choice, oh well only an inch

well... if the Protest isn't the big day stick your looking for maybe you should take up indoor soccer? Sounds like a nice option that you can do in the winter to me. Hint hint, they may bring up the 92 option when the sale starts. Give Keith some time he's a ski guru not a web guru, 187 is plenty of ski specially if you prefer the playfulness of the bibby but I'd go 92 if the option presented itself for sure

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Early custom discount sounds great! One question though...

Is this (Protest) really the big day ski I'm after? Sounds like so, but wondering if it is too overlapped with the Bibby's (actually Blisters, whatevs). 10mm wider waist, but just slightly narrower tips and tails.

How different are Bibbys vs Protests? Do I really need both?

Once again: loving the 190 Blisters, looking for a more pow-specific, big-big day ski (but not willing to go full retard, w/ reverse sidecut/camber) - would probably be looking at a 192 Protest (other custom options TBD).

EDIT: scratch the 192 I guess - custom protest page has 189 as longest choice, oh well only an inch
    I've only got a few days on the Protest (187). And I"ve got about 25 days on Bibbys (184). I think if you're willing to own both they have a spot. Bibby's come out when I know I'm gonna have a lot of crud skiing in the day. And even may want to arc some groomers. They are decidedly more "traditional" feeling than the Protest.

But Protest are a whole 'nother level of fun in deep snow. Especially untouched snow. And especially just "weird" snow. They are even easier than the bibby's to throw sideways and slarve.

Maybe if I'm feeling nice we can cross paths sometimes this spring and you can take the Protests for a lap if I can fit in your Bibbys (310). Assuming that is that you ski somewhere along the Front Range.

I've only got a few days on the Protest (187). And I"ve got about 25 days on Bibbys (184). I think if you're willing to own both they have a spot. Bibby's come out when I know I'm gonna have a lot of crud skiing in the day. And even may want to arc some groomers. They are decidedly more "traditional" feeling than the Protest.

But Protest are a whole 'nother level of fun in deep snow. Especially untouched snow. And especially just "weird" snow. They are even easier than the bibby's to throw sideways and slarve.

Maybe if I'm feeling nice we can cross paths sometimes this spring and you can take the Protests for a lap if I can fit in your Bibbys (310). Assuming that is that you ski somewhere along the Front Range.
    Thanks for your offer, but I don't think my Bibbys will fit your boots, as they are mounted tele, lol. As are all my skis - haven't owned alpine boots for 20+ years (I do shower nearly every day however, unlike some of the hobos on that other thread!).

The Protests will most likely be mounted alpine, however. After a particularly shit-snow day this year (kind of a theme this season, despite some awesome pow days), I swore I would get an alpine rig next season. Tele is super fun in pow (which has always been my justification), but is pretty well un-fun and strenuous AF in crap/old snow (don't get me wrong: there isn't anything I can't do on tele that I could on alpine, and I can keep up with 100% of my alpine/boarder buds - it's just a fun-factor thing). Protests: obviously not an old/crap-snow ski, but the pull back to the dark side is spreading in my head now.

So the Bibbys and maybe the rest of the fleet may get full bondage gear too. Someone in another thread suggested the Bibby might lead me astray in this regard, and wtf if they weren't right. Or maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age.

X 2 on what Leavenworth Skier said /\ "Do you like the feel of skis like the Legend Pro Rider or Head Monster 108? Have you ever wished for a powder version of those skis? If so, you'll probably like these."

I have ~ 20+ days on the Chams & don't know the Protests but have been stoked on the CHAMs. Big days they perform as expected on the upside, they are too much ski for me toward the end of the blue bird day on a now hammered mountain but on storm days they excel through the day.

I have not been in CO tight trees in ages and would probably be at a loss on any ski, my guess is if you are going fast enough to plane up (maybe that's 15mphs?) they will be fine, but, for me, until they are planned up they want to go STRAIGHT in what ever direction they were started on be that across the hill or straight down. Given the ski's size I've been very impressed in billy goat scenarios where the snow is firm to 6 inches deep. The price was the selling point for me, when they showed up I looked at them and thought WTF am i going to do with em? Then snowmageddeon came to CA last winter so I mounted em and have been stoked. My prior pow skis were the EHP after the Plisners in a 193 and a 190 sumo, i've found the 127s to be better charging perfect powder conditions, more fun then the others in less than perfect charging powder conditions and generally way more manageable than expected. I'll continue to leave the tight trees to someone else, i got my fill growing my ski legs in NH & VT.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Exactly this. I own 190 Bibbys (alpine) and 187 Protest (was alpine, now with kingpins). Bibbys are incredible resort ski because they ski chop even better than pow - and they're damn fun in the pow.

But Protests...well, after getting those, I didn't think my Bibbys were that good in the pow anymore. The Protests are just magic in fresh. That said, I've also skied some of the most technical and committing runs of my life on the Protests too (Chimney area at Squaw if you're familiar).

If you're mounting them for resort, go 192. 187 would be fine too, but I would rec the 187 for touring at your size.

(I know nothing about the Cham 127s....)
    sproing!

Protest vs Cham 127

protests are amazing for pow. looser at moderate speed than billygoats, which i think are already looser than bibbies. (though pretty close once you’re hauling). agile, floaty, amazing. never once wanted for stability. could probably be just as happy on the 187s, but no regrets about going 192. there are better skis for chop. on 192s, enduro, carbon, veneer, #4. 6’2”, 230#. haven’t skied them inbounds yet.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Protest vs Cham 127

^ That's the same build I'm looking to do on my 192 ProTest for the spring sale. Love my 188's for inbounds pow duty.