Sun Valley - March 23-26

Heading in to Sun Valley for 4 days of skiing beginning on Friday March 23.

Never been. Free trip. Looking for beta.

Would love someone to show me around a bit - word is it's an "easy" mountain but I'm sure there's neat stuff somewhere. Willing to buy ample adult beverages at any time of day but will also respect the non-drinking ways. I just go with the flow.

Actually it is an easy mountain, and they don’t like you to ski the trees even. Bring/rent long GS skis. Take a day and fish the Big Wood.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    and they don’t like you to ski the trees even.
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 214
Size:  720.1 KB

Good news/bad news. It's looking like we're heading into a snowy period. Chances are good you'll ski heavy, wet powder. There's no mystery, it's all in front of you.
    You are coming during USSA Nationals. If you like ski racing good for you. Maybe you'll ride a lift with LV. But all of Grayhawk area will be closed and Warm Springs will be limited. Ski the trees left and right of Squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Beder View Post
    Good news/bad news. It's looking like we're heading into a snowy period. Chances are good you'll ski heavy, wet powder. There's no mystery, it's all in front of you.
    You are coming during USSA Nationals. If you like ski racing good for you. Maybe you'll ride a lift with LV. But all of Grayhawk area will be closed and Warm Springs will be limited. Ski the trees left and right of Squirrel.
    Might as well close this out as there is literally zero Sun Valley beta around these parts.

Soooo, rolled in last Thursday and it was pissing rain. Whatever, wouldn't be the first time that's happened to me and it won't be the last. Then things froze up nicely overnight and left anything ungroomed on the mountain essentially unskiable, save for the top 1/2 of the bowls. Despite that, we still had a great Friday morning, and continued the fun in to the afternoon. Being from the East coast, the word "icy" has different meanings for me vs. the Idaho locals.

Things improved over the next few days as the groomers had a chance to clean things up a bit more and the chopped up crusty nightmare snow got a little hacked up by the brave among us.

Bottom line is even in what would probably be the worst conditions (save for zero snow), I still had a lot of fun. Props to the grooming team for turning a shit bomb from nature in to something work-able. That mountain somehow makes ripping the same groomers over and over kind of fun - and the few bump runs that were skiable were great. Chairlift rides are top notch too with no lineups whatsoever and 90% friendly people who actually want to have a conversation.

Town is gorgeous, bars/restaurants are great, people are cool. Hands down the best pissers my ski boots have ever been in, and likely ever will. Seems the first response from anyone when asked a question beginning with "Is it alright if I..." is "yes."

I am one of the best skiing dentists around, but if the terrain at SV is 100% open there's enough to keep anyone entertained and it's not an "easy" place. Sure they are missing out on some gnar, and it's not W/B, but anyone who gets bored there is probably just a whiny orthodontist who you don't want to be around anyway.

Locals need to give it a rest with their "our greens/blues are blues/blacks" shtick though. Like, I didn't even bring this up once and was told about it at least a bajillion times.

Idaho scores a 4/4 would go back. If it ain't gonna snow, it might as well be sunny. SV delivers. Good steaks, too.