Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for teaching opportunities near skiing

Hi TGR Fam,

After living the seasonal lifestyle for six years, splitting time between mountains and the ocean, I went back to school this past summer. I'm slated to finish my masters in July, in education, and I'm looking for teaching positions in ski towns/near skiing...or the ocean. I'll have a degree in Secondary Ed, and I've been teaching 7th and 8th grade at a strong independent k-12 school in Maine since August. I also have a decade of youth competitive coaching experience, as well as three years of collegiate level coaching (sailing).

I'm not married to any specific state or location, but it is important I am within a short drive to mountains or ocean. Yes, polar opposites, but I need to choose one or the other (or both?).

I'll have a masters in education, but won't have a state teaching license yet. Therefore, I'm looking for teaching jobs at independent and charter schools. I prefer smaller classes and flexibility in curriculum for my first few years as a teacher.

I've done the Carney Sandoe job fair, and I'm tapped into other websites pretty regularly. From the TGR community, I'm interested in your intel on potential job opportunities in ideal locations at small or independent schools.

FWIW, I'm under 30 and male, have WFR and OEC experience, plus the CPR/1Aid + US Sailing Level 1-3. Single, no dog, and don't own shit besides a shitty Subaru. And too many skis.

Thanks team.

Alev

PM me. I can pass your resume along to some of the right people if you're interested in Utah.

If you're already in the independent-school world, you may want to check out ski academies (SMS, KMS, OMS, BMA, GMVS, etc.); I assume you're already looking at the New England prep schools near ski mountains (Gould, Holderness, etc). If you can teach high-school math and science, I'd suspect you could find a position relatively quickly (lot more competition for the liberal arts positions).

They are usually looking for teachers around here in the roaring fork school district and some of the smaller schools near here too.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Sugar Bowl Academy?

Santa Cruz is a reasonable weekend drive.

Edit: Housing prices are godawful though...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Looking for teaching opportunities near skiing

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    They are usually looking for teachers around here in the roaring fork school district and some of the smaller schools near here too.
    Juniors girl is a teacher at AHS and is pretty happy. Just got back from Model UN in NY.

I havent tapped into all of the New England ski schools. Im not currently prepared or qualified (in terms of knowledge of material) to teach at the HS level. Did the seasonal gig in Utah for 6 years, and Im conventionally heading back there on Friday.

Thanks everyone so far.

Rural SW CO is begging for teachers. If you could handle the commute from Durango to Cortez or Mancos you'd still be pretty close to Purg/Silverton/Wolf Creek for skiing.
    The Sheriff is near!

Japan?

I did some look, but I initially passed.

Part of the reason I finally went back to school and am looking to be a teacher is the opportunity to settle, for at least a year. I want to at least live in a place for a few years where I know people. Moving around and doing the seasonal thing plus going to school and being endlessly busy with a new job/grad level work reinforces the importance of friends and standard comforts.

That being said, Japan is not a no.

Teton Science School? Not sure if they have employee housing as that part is a bitch out here.

Arctic Village Ak?

Hawaii is always looking for teachers. Best surf in the world available. Downside is the pay is not commensurate with the cost of living and it'll be difficult to live.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

I don't know all the facts here but: In JH teachers get some preference in access to housing. There's the lure... also the base pay is pretty solid. There are a few independent schools here besides the publics, that are impressive too.

Some teachers do really well so long as they aren't in it to squirrel away money. Not gonna happen. Might even feel like you're going in reverse...Lots of other teaching/outdoor ed. positions here as well.

With the big challenges here, come big rewards. Great kids and families in this valley.

Maybe look at Oregon. In Portland you'd be less than two hours from skiing and from the ocean. Same for Corvalis (I think you can get to bachelor in under 2 ours from there, but might be a stretch). Lots of people moving to the state = more demand for teachers.

Focus on getting your state certs, then move.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    I did some look, but I initially passed.

Part of the reason I finally went back to school and am looking to be a teacher is the opportunity to settle, for at least a year. I want to at least live in a place for a few years where I know people. Moving around and doing the seasonal thing plus going to school and being endlessly busy with a new job/grad level work reinforces the importance of friends and standard comforts.

That being said, Japan is not a no.
    Residential schools (where many or most faculty live on site) tend to provide a build-in community. They also tend to provide a bubble keeping the Real World away to some degree and encouraging your social life to seriously overlap with your professional life, so there's definitely a trade-off, but if it works for you, the fringe benefits (housing, food, too busy to spend money or take vacations during the school year) can overcome the usually-less-than-stellar pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Rural SW CO is begging for teachers. If you could handle the commute from Durango to Cortez or Mancos you'd still be pretty close to Purg/Silverton/Wolf Creek for skiing.
    San Luis Valley- same general area but closer to skiing at WC

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Focus on getting your state certs, then move.
    Thanks. This is what I'm working on now. I want to figure out which states have reciprocity with others, in terms of carry over of teaching licenses and certs.

Not luck so far. Schools seem to like 3-5 years of experience, which I'm yet to accumulate.

Would you still have your teaching job in Maine if you stayed there? Maybe stay there a couple more years, get certified, and then look at moving. Seattle is close to both the ocean and skiing.

Good point. To clarify, I'm teaching through my masters program, so its not an extendable contract. I did apply for a position here, but they opted for the diverse guy with experience (deservingly).

Check out Aspen Country Day School.

Of all my friends who are educators, the happiest are employed in Canada. The US doesn’t pay its teachers shit. Go north my friend.

Canyons School district in Utardland is hiring. Wife works there and could help get you talking to the right people. 20 minutes to snowbird, night skiing at Brighton, 12 hr drive to socal surfbreaks.

But hell I'd split the cost of gas for a surftrip with you so you must factor that in LOL