Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    If the news is to be believed, there's a perpetual teacher shortage in Utah that is only expected to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Maybe look at Oregon. In Portland you'd be less than two hours from skiing and from the ocean. Same for Corvalis (I think you can get to bachelor in under 2 ours from there, but might be a stretch). Lots of people moving to the state = more demand for teachers.
    Hey! I live in Corvallis! My story kinda similar to OP... a few years of seasonal tech work (I literally moved every 6 months cross country from job to job for ~5yrs) and I'm currently back getting my Master's here. Corvallis is not the most happening for the food/culture/night life scene (I'm not here for that though) but I think I prefer living here instead of Bend/Portland/Eugene in terms of affordability and an awesome central location. Fairly educated demographic here too so the local schools are pretty solid.

The housing/renting market is tough on the grad stipend but I would probably be fine with any real-salaried job. In fact, I would likely be very comfortable here if I made 30k+/year (especially after getting used to living very frugally for years).

Great access to mountain biking. 1hr from the ocean. Skiing is far (Mt. Hood and Bachelor are both closer to 3hrs). I only made it to Mt. Hood once this winter. Partly because it's far for a day trip, partly because I'm cheap. A bunch of folks in my program tour and there are certainly a few closer options.

Rains a bit during the winter but compared to growing up in the Northeast it's awesome to be able to bike/hike/run year round!

Thanks everyone for the help. I actually ended up getting hired at the school I'm at now in Maine. I'll be living sub five minutes to the beach, and about 3:15 to my best options for skiing. I'll get another pass in Utah, and get a month plus out there during the winter between my two breaks. Work to ski, for now.

A couple things to pass and you may already know most...

Pay not too good
    Benefits good
    Probably get into state retirement. Don’t underestimate this.
    Take a look at pay scales. You probably have to be there 5-10 Years to get $1k raise per year.
    If you move state to state will potentially screw you on retirement.

yup. not in it forever. just for now.

Gonna bump this thread because I may need to change my situation for next year. Once again, will welcome and appreciate any tips or leads. Thanks.

What about Teach for America? Asking for a friend.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    Gonna bump this thread because I may need to change my situation for next year. Once again, will welcome and appreciate any tips or leads. Thanks.
    I don't think any of the recommendations from the first page would have changed dramatically, if at all.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

When you get there (wherever) be sure to sign up to chaperone the school's ski club. If they don't already have one, start one. Ski club is still my favorite memory of junior high school right before I got more serious about skiing and joined the resort team.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by alev View Post
    My offer from last year stands.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk