Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alpine Boot With Tech Fittings

Is anyone making an actual alpine boot with tech fittings? I know there's plenty of stiff, relatively burly touring boots. But none of them really ski like an actual alpine boot.

With this new Salomon Shift binding coming out, it has me scheming. Skiing inbounds in touring boots sucks. Skiing inbounds on touring bindings also sucks, although the Shift has the potential to change that (not counting my chickens before they hatch here: with all due respect to Cody, I'll wait until there's some actual reports from people that aren't paid by Salomon). But I do a lot of skiing around the side of the resort that involves short walks back inbounds. And for that situation, pairing a real alpine boot with a real alpine ski and the Shift binding could be ideal. Weight doesn't matter, and the walks are short enough that I'd be fine without a walk mode.

So are there any boots out there that ski like a real alpine boot, but have tech toe fittings? So far, the best option I've come across is paying Cast to convert a boot.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    the last decade of my skiing inbounds on tech binders and boots aint sucked at all
    but you should buy more arrows anyway
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Tecnica used to make the Bodacious which took tech sole blocks from the Cochise. There may be others, but I'm not sure.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Tecnica used to make the Bodacious which took tech sole blocks from the Cochise. There may be others, but I'm not sure.
    Yeah, something exactly along those lines is what I'm thinking of.

K2 Pinnacle 130 fits this bill pretty good. I have one of the early generations and it is basically an Alpine boot with tech fittings. I think they have lightened it some in the newer generations but not much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Salomon has also X-Pro(?) which you can change the soles. Thinking of doing same thing. I do lot's of sledskiing, 200-400 vertical skinning/bootback. Usually we don't have powder, so I want to have real ski and real boot.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using TGR Forums mobile app

Not sure I get what you intend to do - you don't ski the Shift in tech toe mode anyway, and if it's long enough to put skins on you will want a walk mode. You can ski it fine with an ISO 5355 sole and bootpack all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Salomon has also X-Pro(?) which you can change the soles. Thinking of doing same thing. I do lot's of sledskiing, 200-400 vertical skinning/bootback. Usually we don't have powder, so I want to have real ski and real boot.
    Right on. Doing some poking around, it looks like a Dalbello Krypton might be able to take the sole blocks from the Lupo.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Not sure I get what you intend to do - you don't ski the Shift in tech toe mode anyway, and if it's long enough to put skins on you will want a walk mode. You can ski it fine with an ISO 5355 sole and bootpack all you want.
    These would be 10-20 minute skins, mostly on low angle terrain. i.e. skin out a ridge line from the resort, ski pow, traverse back inbounds. I'd just need a tech toe to interface with the Shift for the quick skins at the top and/or bottom. I've done it plenty of times in an alpine boot (w/o walk mode) with a frame binding. But frame bindings kinda suck. And bootpacking isn't a good option when it involves post holing through waist deep snow.

Thumbs up LANGE XT Freetour higly recomended

Hi. For me best alpine boot with tech is Lange XT freetour 130 flex. Next year it will be 140 flex.
    It change my way of skiing and now i enjoy tech binding on wider no real touring skis. Great with new diamir tecton binding. Not so stiff as my race RS 130, but much lighter. Much better for all day FreeRide, resort skiing as my scarpa maestrale. My favorite ski boot. Highly recommended.

It will definitely stay in my three boot quiver (Lange RS130, XT Freetour 130, Scarpa Maestrale)

Salomon Ghost Max 130s are my alpine boots and I use them with my Kingpin setup too when it's less than about 800m ascent. No walk mode, a true alpine boot with WTR/tech soles à la the old Tecnica Bodacious which were my sole alpine & touring boot for 2-3 years prior. I was skeptical about the two-buckle design at first but it's fine.

Lange XT, Tecnica Cochise, Salomon Quest, etc too if you think you need a walk mode. Probably others now that I'm unaware of. Look at brands' websites or speak to your local shop geek.

I've also seen a handful of locals skiing modified plug boots in various bindings. Dobermanns in Trabs was the most interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    These would be 10-20 minute skins, mostly on low angle terrain. i.e. skin out a ridge line from the resort, ski pow, traverse back inbounds. I'd just need a tech toe to interface with the Shift for the quick skins at the top and/or bottom. I've done it plenty of times in an alpine boot (w/o walk mode) with a frame binding. But frame bindings kinda suck. And bootpacking isn't a good option when it involves post holing through waist deep snow.
    I use Trekkers if the skin is going to be that short, with any ski & boot I want. That would be my advice if that's really all you want to do, and spend the money you save for more ski trips.

I have been looking into this as well, to ski with my CAST setup. As much as I like my zero G boots, the smooth flex of a mach1 is on a whole other level.
    So far, most alpine boots that are available with tech inserts have been mentioned here I think:
    Salomon: X pro and ghost (only the 130 ghost i think)
    Tecnica: older bodacious, demon(?) and maybe even the first generation of mach1's ( the artist formerly known as wasatchback may confirm this)

The obvious other answer is do a modification on your favourite alpine boots, as it will be for skinning only. In the US the CAST boys can do this very neatly. Unfortunately I am in europe so this is not really an option. I have seen lots of DIY insterts in boots though. It is easier to do if the boots have a solid toe (which is why i havent done my mach1's yet, but I still may try).

I'm using my Lupo Carbons with Powerwraps inbounds and they ski exactly the same as my old Kryptons with powerwraps and B tongues. I'm only 165lbs though.

Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
    I'm using my Lupo Carbons with Powerwraps inbounds and they ski exactly the same as my old Kryptons with powerwraps and B tongues. I'm only 165lbs though.
    I'm skeptical. Granted, I haven't skied the Lupo. But the Lupo is Grilamid, and the Krypton is Polyurethane. In my experience, none of the lighter weight plastics / carbon fibers used in touring boots ski like a heavy polyurethane alpine boot. Carving ~500 grams off of a boot makes a difference, even if the fit and stiffness are supposedly the same.

Send your favorite boot to the Cast guys to have tech inserts added. Pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Send your favorite boot to the Cast guys to have tech inserts added. Pretty easy.
    Yeah, that's looking like the best option. But I'm not 100% happy with the fit on my current boots, so I just wanted to see if there were other options that might work without having to spend an extra $200 for tech inserts.

Have you tried the Cochise Pro 130's or K2 Pinnacle 130's?

Honestly, IMO the Cochise line skis pretty damn similar to their Mach line. I mean, you're not going to get plug boot performance or anything but they're pretty impressive these days.

I'm skeptical. Granted, I haven't skied the Lupo. But the Lupo is Grilamid, and the Krypton is Polyurethane. In my experience, none of the lighter weight plastics / carbon fibers used in touring boots ski like a heavy polyurethane alpine boot. Carving ~500 grams off of a boot makes a difference, even if the fit and stiffness are supposedly the same.
    Even though the carbons are only about 200 grams less than the Kryptons, I have found the same thing, you are thinking the right way regarding the plastics. However, you are able to make some of these crossover boots ski close to an alpine boot by getting rid of the touring liner, and adding a powerwrap. But you should look at the bright green Lupo Ti ID from 15/16 and 16/17. Its a PU shell with walk mode and tech fittings. Basically the same as the Krypton (the cuff is the only difference, its Db-Hylite, a little bit lighter plastic, but still performs well)

I got the Carbons because i thought they would be fine for inbounds, and am switching back to the bright green Ti ID.

Name:  dalbello-lupo-ti-id-alpine-touring-ski-boots-2017-green-fluorescent-trans-black.jpg
Views: 3980
Size:  89.0 KB

I think my new Lupo ax 120s are more supportive than the Head Vector Evo 120s I was using. I imagine the boot above would ski like a "real" alpine boot.

15-17 Lupo TI is your best bet if you can find one. I'd love it if I could find a way to buy some dalbello "A" tongues that fit. The b tongues are softening slightly and I might need a new PW liner soon. I'm on a bout day 60.

Lupo C 130 (orange version of the green lupo TI) - available now, but not discounted yet.
    Or the new full tilt offering - available next year.

Both cabrio boots with tech fittings and a tour mode.

Lupo TI was HUGE upgrade from the cochise 130 for inbounds riding.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    15-17 Lupo TI is your best bet if you can find one. I'd love it if I could find a way to buy some dalbello "A" tongues that fit. The b tongues are softening slightly and I might need a new PW liner soon. I'm on a bout day 60.

Lupo C 130 (orange version of the green lupo TI) - available now, but not discounted yet.
    Or the new full tilt offering - available next year.

Both cabrio boots with tech fittings and a tour mode.

Spent the last week hunting down a pair. Was lucky enough to find some on craigslist, but also found them here. Not many out there anymore!

https://www.montaz.com/dalbello-lupo...k-p149315.html

100% agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    This.

Or get some boots that fit, then this.

Aside from the K2 Pinnacle or first few generation Blizzard offerings there isn't much that's overlap alpine, true step-down-race boots (full pu) that have sockets. Not sure if you did or did not want a walk mode.

If you don't want a walk mode, then send your boots to CAST.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I'm assuming you mean the older cochise boots? I.e. not the latest generation (16/17 and 17/18)?

Yeah, that's looking like the best option. But I'm not 100% happy with the fit on my current boots, so I just wanted to see if there were other options that might work without having to spend an extra $200 for tech inserts.
    Cast is the best option. I've had two boots done. They're great.

if you don't like your fit though, I'd guess that one of the cross-over boots like a Lupo or Freetour or whatever, with a proper fit, will likely ski better than a great alpine boot with a shitty fit. YMMV, but that might expand your options.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    I'm assuming you mean the older cochise boots? I.e. not the latest generation (16/17 and 17/18)?
    I had the orange 15/16 Cochise. Liked it. Used it as a touring only boot for a bit, but ditched it in favor of 1 boot to rule them all. I didn’t think the fit had changed too much from that generation...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

If you are skinning uphill, just unbuckle the top two buckles and you will be fine. I don’t really find walk modes do much unless you are really extending your foot forward, like skinning across flats

Edit: this was supposed to have been in response to an earlier poster who didn’t recommend skinning in an alpine boot