Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Microsoft money giving us the high res $$$ shots of carrier 3 miles deep in the pacif

Microsoft money giving us the high res $$$ shots of carrier 3 miles deep in the pacific

USS Lexington

Sunk by teh Japanese in dubya dubya 2Name:  IMG_0196.JPG
Views: 814
Size:  156.3 KBName:  IMG_0197.JPG
Views: 756
Size:  99.7 KBName:  IMG_0198.JPG
Views: 788
Size:  94.1 KBName:  IMG_0199.JPG
Views: 735
Size:  77.7 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0200.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	226989
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Cool How are they going to monetize that? Manganese module mining.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Courtesy of Paul Allen
    Zone Controller

Using other peoples money. Like when Michelangelo was paid to paint the chapel.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

CGI ???

I hope they never give out the coordinates.

There are Chinese metal scrappers that are literally picking up ww2 wrecks offf the sea floor and they are entirely disappearing. I guess the metal used back then is very rare and valuable. Fucking disgusting we let it happen.

https://m.warhistoryonline.com/war-a...art-scrap.html

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post

USS Lexington

Sunk by teh Japanese in dubya dubya]
    Damaged by the Japs.
    Sunk by Americans, just like your top tier status.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

There are Chinese metal scrappers that are literally picking up ww2 wrecks offf the sea floor and they are entirely disappearing. I guess the metal used back then is very rare and valuable. Fucking disgusting we let it happen.

Interesting: "low-background" steel is steel produced prior to atmospheric nuclear testing. Apparently all steel produced since atmospheric testing is contaminated with radiation, which makes it unsuitable for a number of uses. So there's a limited supply of it out there and no more can be made and the Chinese are grabbing it while they can. They're not dumb. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

I’m pretty close to raising hell over this. Had my gramps gone down on one of those ships I’d be out there in your whaler standing guard.

Imagine if some bull sized Arlington national cemetery?

Spoils go to the victor. If we want those ships for some memorial to war or for recycling then we should go get them.

Microsoft money giving us the high res $$$ shots of carrier 3 miles deep in the pacif

It’s kinda hard to do that without desecrating the graves of our sailors. Those ships are filled with thousands of lost servicemen and their remains are being ground up with a dredge.

I can’t think of a worse fate foe them. Let’s just be glad most of the survivors are now dead and did not live to see it.

The Lady Lex. Proud fighting carrier. Mortally wounded at the Battle of Coral Sea, the precursor to Midway. The crew fought to save her counter flooding to right the vessel but later that day ammo bunker explosions doomed her. A destroyer was detailed to sink the blazing hulk after the crew was taken off. 37 planes and many sailors were still on board. RIP
    watch out for snakes

It’s kinda hard to do that without desecrating the graves of our sailors. Those ships are filled with thousands of lost servicemen and their remains are being ground up with a dredge.

I can’t think of a worse fate foe them. Let’s just be glad most of the survivors are now dead and did not live to see it.

I'm pretty sure they're already dead, so their fate is sealed. As far as desecrating their 'graves' all things are recycled in the span of time. We should be reclaiming that low background steel.

Those ships are filled with thousands of lost servicemen and their remains are being ground up with a dredge.
    Are you speaking figuratively? Any remains are almost surely gone.

Not the point fat boy.

It's a war grave.

Leave it the fuck alone.
    watch out for snakes

If that is directed toward me I didn't offer an opinion on reclamation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Damaged by the Japs.
    Sunk by Americans, just like your top tier status.
    the japs rendered the ship worthless, the americans scuttled it

sunk by the japs
    Zone Controller

i want that low background steel for my blade collection
    Zone Controller

I doubt they'll harvest off the Truk Islands. I been thinking about going diving the wrecks down there.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Interesting: "low-background" steel is steel produced prior to atmospheric nuclear testing. Apparently all steel produced since atmospheric testing is contaminated with radiation, which makes it unsuitable for a number of uses. So there's a limited supply of it out there and no more can be made and the Chinese are grabbing it while they can. They're not dumb. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel
    Interesting indeed. The Wiki article says that the atmospheric contamination is basically gone now and the problem persists because of recycling. You would think that if this stuff is valuable enough that it's profitable to salvage WWII-era shipwrecks, someone would make it from virgin iron ore. Maybe that's not practical, but it still seems odd.

The Lex ought to be safe regardless of whether the coordinates become public. It's safe to say that no low-rent Chinese scrappers are going to be pulling wrecks from 3,000 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Interesting that the radioactive level in the steel wouldn’t be a known in the final product, and then that level could be zeroed out, when that steel is used in a Geiger counter or other instrument for example.

Cool pics, though.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Paul Allen also found Musashi, the other Yamato-class battleship, about 2.5 years ago. Sounds like fun to be a billionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Interesting indeed. The Wiki article says that the atmospheric contamination is basically gone now and the problem persists because of recycling. You would think that if this stuff is valuable enough that it's profitable to salvage WWII-era shipwrecks, someone would make it from virgin iron ore. Maybe that's not practical, but it still seems odd.

The Lex ought to be safe regardless of whether the coordinates become public. It's safe to say that no low-rent Chinese scrappers are going to be pulling wrecks from 3,000 meters.
    The link implies that you would need to use non-atmospheric oxygen to get there from ore. Maybe centrifuge LOX? But steel's main advantage is that it's cheap, so if this actually becomes rare enough to warrant such interesting measures things like aluminum and non-metallic materials probably see heavy use first. I'm curious how much trouble the Chinese are really going to to keep the old stuff separate.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The link implies that you would need to use non-atmospheric oxygen to get there from ore.
    Per reference 5 atmospheric cobalt-60 is essentially gone, so you could make it from virgin ore and atmospheric O2 now. But, reference 4 answers plugboots' question and says that modern instrumentation can correct for background radiation and this stuff isn't really all that valuable except in rare cases:

"Sorry, the market for old steel is now pretty much sunk. Reduced radioactive dust plus sophisticated instrumentation that corrects for background radiation means new steel can now be used in most cases. There’s some lingering demand for really old maritime metal, though. When researchers at one national lab wanted shielding that emitted no radiation whatsoever, they used lead ballast retrieved from the Spanish galleon San Ignacio, which had been lying on the bottom of the Caribbean for 450 years."

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...radioactivity/

The Chinese are probably building nano nukes that they will then widely disperse and hold the world hostage.